OPP goes back to B&W Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

mciupa

Database Admin
exkalibur said:
Look at Germany on their autobahn...high speeds, but the drivers have the skills to handle it without killing everyone. Why can't that apply here - there's no reason.

In some cases, drivers here display poor judgement and a lack of discipline when no enforcement is visible.:evil:
But , visible enforcement is next to impossible if you have only a solo KILO unit patrolling all the km's between Rougemount and Courtice Rd. :(

KL

Public highways are paid for by the taxes collected from ALL citizens, that means we shared the previlige of using the road with all the other drivers on the road, we don't get to unilaterally decide by ourselves how much risk we take or how fast we can drive, no matter how confident and skillful we may THINK we are.

I certainly don't disagree almost all drivers take a bit of indulgence of the speed limit and in general that is pretty harmless, but just because we all do it driving 110 to 120 KPH or even a bit higher doesn't mean common sense can go out of the window, especially when the road is shared with other drivers who may not, and should not be expected to deal with another vehicle coming up from behind at excessive speed, such as 285 KPH indicated in an earlier post.

Sorry, that kind of speed even on an empty PUBLIC highway is purely irresponsible, take it to the race track on a track day if you want to really stretch the legs of your powerful sports car, and where everyone knows the real risks involved and are in a level playing field, and where emergency services are on stand-by to deal with the mishap that can sometimes happen.

All that said I know I'm not going to convince the idiots that are already driving at unreasonably fast speed on public roads, so let there (very) soon be a black/white OPP cars showing up on their rearview mirror with all the bright red lights flashing, and accompanied by a hefty fine and many demerit points!

Back on topic.

Last edited:

MetalCarnage

exkalibur said:
Well, the sad reality is that most people think they're invincible behind the wheel. I myself know I'm confident at higher speeds, but I'd never top 140-150 on even an empty highway - there's too much risk.

It's the people that think they're all that, and whizz by at 180 then crash up their car.

Look at Germany on their autobahn...high speeds, but the drivers have the skills to handle it without killing everyone. Why can't that apply here - there's no reason.

Agreed...i did Saskatoon to Thunder Bay (1550km) in about 12 hours, averaged about 125-130k/h the whole way. Its a good thing RCMP doesnt patrol the Trans-Canada....illegal, yes, safe to take the risk, yes, got the skills, yes , lol :)

pathalogical

exkalibur said:
Not to get into a debate, but driving fast and driving irresponsible are NOT the same thing. It's completly possible to drive at high speeds and be safe about it. If there was no traffic on the highway, and road conditions were very clear and you were on a flat straight section, there's no reason why you couldn't zip along quickly...all legal issues aside.
Those were the exact conditions that this person described to me. I even said "You must have been passing cars like crazy !". He said "There were absolutely no cars at all, or I would not have done so". He also mentioned the Holland Marsh area, which has much less traffic. This person (who I spoke with a few times, years ago) is very knowledgable about Ferrari, not some yahoo who cashed in on the stock market thinking he's gonna be the next Schumacher.

In reality, there are irresponsable drivers all around us...everyday !!! They don't have to be doing 120 kmh or 285 kmh. It's the driver doing 170 cus he's ten minutes late to tee off, or the lady clocked doing 150 cus she's late for the hair salon. Could even be the guy doing 70 in the "fast lane".

jellotor

Just to bring this back around to the original topic, I heard quite a bit of traffic enforcement over the weekend and in those cases it appeared as though even drivers who were doing 85-90 km/h in an 80 km/h area were getting ticketed.

It seems as though Fantino's directive to crack down on speeders and dangerous drivers has taken root.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm glad to see Fantino is starting his new job off with a bang. I was certainly NOT impressed with the job the past Commissioner did at all. Hopefully Fantino will have his smarts and send the TRU team to eradicate the illegal occupation down in Caledonia. Love him or hate him, Fantino is a very no BS cop. A lot of the officers in Toronto didn't care for him at all when he was the chief in Toronto, but most of those complaints were because the individual officer was either lazy or didn't like to have to do his/her job properly.

jellotor

Well, there's always hope, but as I have said in the past, Fantino serves at the whim of the Premier and the Caledonia situation is pretty politicized. I suspect you'll see him take a harder line against any violent occurences down there rather than come marching in with the TRU team...

N

nec208

Okay is this a internet rumor or are the OPP going to change to new color?

On a side note to be safe no one should drive more than 90KM on any high way and no more than 50KM on any city street .If there is snow or rain you drive 10KM or 15KM lower than the speed to be safe.

Many people drive like a crazy bad man in the GTA !! And you just don't see police on the road I think it is so bad the police have lost it had given up.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
nec208 said:
Okay is this a internet rumor or are the OPP going to change to new color?

On a side note to be safe no one should drive more than 90KM on any high way and no more than 50KM on any city street .If there is snow or rain you drive 10KM or 15KM lower than the speed to be safe.

Many people drive like a crazy bad man in the GTA !! And you just don't see police on the road I think it is so bad the police have lost it had given up.

NEC208 - do you smoke crack before you come on this board and post?

I not sure if its posted but the new Peel police Cars willbe equipted with New LED lights in Red and Blue.... Going away from the red and white colors....

king_pounds

The OPP have a booth at the Auto Show and at that booth they have the new b/w car. I sadly forgot my camera at home so I have no pictures to show you.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
jellotor said:
Man, that was a bit unkind, don't you think?

Lol Graeme: Chrome69 gets it hard when he goes out of line, you guys would have probably said then same to him had he said it.

What he said was kinda funny.

jellotor

Heh, true...I don't think I've asked anyone if they smoke crack before they post, though. If I have, I apologise to that person...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Its ok Graeme: I understand.
I lived in Hamilton also.
LMAO-I can still remember the skanky ho's on King E selling their their...wares for the rock.

I'm going to send you a PM
E

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
A public safety announcement from your friends at Radioreference.

funny-pictures-pot-not-crack-US4.jpg

dic

<Its a good thing RCMP doesnt patrol the Trans-Canada>

99% of the time I have spent in Canada is in Quebec and Ontario.
I know the QPP and OPP patrol there.

Who patrols the Trans-Canada in the Western (and Eastern) Provinces?

Thanks, eh.
Dic

Muxlow

Super Secret
Iv saw the new OPP decals on Essex OPP cars. The officer were fighting over who gets to drive it. Also St.Thomas iv saw they had one. Havnt been able to snag a picture yet thou
But they dooooo look snazzy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.