OPP goes back to B&W Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluemsp

OPP1001_ZZ.jpg

OPP1002_ZZ.jpg

OPP1005_ZZ.jpg

polo_762

i like it.....sleek, sexy...and retro! I was born in 85, so i can barely remember the firrst batch like this

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Is this a special promotion vehicle or a official change for all new marked cruisers...I like the look.

pathalogical

Could this mean that maybe Toronto will switch back to yellow cruisers !!! Anyone know what the unit number means ? Detatchment, division...

Last edited:

bigbluemsp

the first number is the detachment number. What ever det. 5 is. The other Im not sure of.

The OPP guys in the Sarnia area say this is a complete car change and not a special thing.

mciupa

Database Admin
I thought the first digit on the car was for region 5 = GTR .
Cars I have seen are 1-XXX up in Orillia and 6-XXX when passing through western Ontario.
I figure that first digit applies to each of the six OPP regions in the province.

Now if only the officers could ditch the Boy Scout hats and go back to the former hats. :roll:

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Nothing I could see on the OPP's web Site to confirm this...

Do we have more than one B&W Cruiser sighting??? BTW This markup would rock on a Charger....

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Well, that picture is the Aurora detatchment.

It's not a full time thing, from what I've heard, it was done as a mock up to see how it would be received by the powers that be.

Who knows what's going to happen.

mrweather

Very nice! The back doors need to be white to fully complete the retro look.

I always thought they dropped bi-colour cruisers because it cost too much to paint?

rhutch

mrweather said:
Very nice! The back doors need to be white to fully complete the retro look.

I always thought they dropped bi-colour cruisers because it cost too much to paint?

In modern automotive assembly the car is painted and the doors are painted seperately so, as long as the two-tone only involves different colour doors, hoods, trunks or bumpers there should be no additional cost (with new vehicles ordered that way). It just a matter of sequencing the assembly line so when the black chasis needs doors there are white ones there to be installed.

icepick

The B & W wont be happening gents, this was a trial design only. Unfortunate, because I love the B & W look.

Freebase

"The back doors need to be white to fully complete the retro look."

Actually, only the front doors were white. The pillars and the roof were also white.

"The B & W wont be happening gents, this was a trial design only. Unfortunate, because I love the B & W look."

Too bad, that was always one of the more impressive paint schemes on any police vehicle, I thought.

mercer1

"In modern automotive assembly the car is painted and the doors are painted seperately"

NOT TRUE.......

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Actually, at the paint shop in Talbotville which is who makes the Crown Vic, this is how it's done. They paint everything separatly - the hood, trunk and doors. My father-in-law is one of their head engineers there and I've seen this personally. I can't speak about other plants, but that is how Ford does it at that particular plant.

Edit: Should have added... That's how it's done if needed. If the whole car is going to be the same colour, then you're right - it's painted together. But when they get orders for different coloured doors or whatever, which happens all the time, it's all done separatly.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
exkalibur said:
My father-in-law is one of their head engineers there and I've seen this personally. I can't speak about other plants, but that is how Ford does it at that particular plant.

When was the wedding Mikey? I am dissapointed that you didn't invite me.
Edit: Should have added... That's how it's done if needed. If the whole car is going to be the same colour, then you're right - it's painted together. But when they get orders for different coloured doors or whatever, which happens all the time, it's all done separatly.

Your probably right. but in the case of this car it was Vinyl.

TEST WITH THE OLD PAINT SCHEME - (This was a vehicle made up as a test to show command staff at General Headquarters - The doors are not painted white, but covered in a 3M type material by the company which created the new "Highway Safety Division" decals.)

Status
Not open for further replies.