OPP Golden Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Today in downtown Ottawa, I was able to monitor the OPP Golden Helmets motorcycle team preparing for the memorial run and service for fallen officers this weekend. They were heard on the old SIM1 frequency of 140.9700mhz and all were transmitting the CTCSS tone 107.2hz. These transmissions seamed to be relatively low power and simplex. I was able to hear them from about 2km away, but faded rapidly as i went any further away.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
PL 107.2 does seem to be a popular tone for the OPP, wonder if this freq, is just tone or both non/toned.

But then again, I don't get much interference on this channel anyways so I guess it doesn't matter.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
All the comms I heard were using the tone. If i get a chance I am curious as to what kind of portables they are using. Kinda suspect they might be VHF units, not the Tait models on UHF.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
All OPP units in Ontario have SIM 1 programmed. They're set to transmit 107.2, but not for receive. MNR Enforcement and MTO Enforcement also have access to SIM 1 and SIM 11 in the same configuration.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
All the comms I heard were using the tone. If i get a chance I am curious as to what kind of portables they are using. Kinda suspect they might be VHF units, not the Tait models on UHF.

They use actual mobiles not portables.

Kind of hard to use a portable on a bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.