OPP gone silent in my area

ve3vav

Premium Subscriber
Has the OPP changed their frequencies or broadcast encryption? It seems that the OPP and EMS are not transmitting on the usual channels There is no update on the database does anyone have any info on this?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You'll want to read this thread: (53) OPP switchover to PSRN | RadioReference.com Forums

As far as I know, Dufferin OPP hasn't transitioned yet but Grey-Bruce is definitely gone. You probably have a couple of weeks left before Dufferin disappears.

EMS transitioned a while back so listening to them is done.

The database has been updated with the new info and the old FleetNet channels have been marked as Deprecated.

ve3vav

Premium Subscriber
I put the new Dufferin freq’s in my scanner and nothing. I guess they still using the old trunking, but there are lots of vehicle repeaters that are supposed to be analog and they are silent, too.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I put the new Dufferin freq’s in my scanner and nothing. I guess they still using the old trunking, but there are lots of vehicle repeaters that are supposed to be analog and they are silent, too.
Check the 700MHz ones in the database. When vehicles get the new radio setup, they transitioned from 400 to 700 MHz for the VRS. It'll still be analog until they move to PSRN

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
There are only 3 VR for OPP, and a Detachment Repeater which is very low power (I can barely hear it at home and I'm less than 1 KM from detachment -- your closest Detachment is at 10/89 so there is no chance of hearing it from the 'Burne). VR1 is mostly used because it's the default when the radio is powered on so is the default when the repeater is activated in the car. Right now Dufferin is still on the old FleetNet system. Once they move to PSRN, they are fully encrypted, including the VR so there won't be anything to hear at all.

The 700MHz BEAT repeater was moved from the detachment in Orangeville a few months ago, and is up high now with good coverage, you might catch it from the 'Burne, but the PSRN cutover date for Dufferin is coming fast.

The old BEAT repeater is also still active (for now) on 412.4625. Again, this is all moot, since the cutover will be happening within days for Dufferin and Caledon.

BEAT04 770.91875
VR01 771.74375
VR02 773.09375
VR03 772.16875

Jradioptbo

Even though the DVRs are encrypted and comms cannot be listened too. Can you still use the detection of the DVR for proximity to a cruiser while driving? There must be active communication at the time for this to happen though. Accurate Signal strength could be use to measure approx distance.