OPP in-car camera system

Muxlow

Super Secret
Just happen to catch a transmission from London Comm telling units if they have not got their in-car camera system setup yet to come 10-19 to have them activated.
Wonder if that is part of the pilot program for the body cams select detachments had and are now starting to come out for all detachments?
Have to keep a keen eye out for in-car cameras to see what they are rocking.

ATCTech

That would likely be the wide-spread rollout of the license plate scanner cameras, no? "Big news" a few weeks back that virtually all regular patrol vehicles are getting that system.

EWC_BDN

Must be something replacing an old system surely. Hard to believe they didn't have at least a front facing and back seat camera.

ATCTech is probably right, but I would have thought they would refer to that by name. Like who ever doesn't have their LPR setup, do X. Sure it's a camera, but most people associate cameras with recording.

ATCTech

I'm just guessing of course, but it seems awfully coincidental that they announce they're going full-on with plate scanners when in fact the hardware is all ready to go within a couple of weeks of the media event. "You've been warned" in other words. o_O

Noseybody

Interesting, why would they install but not activate them at the time of installation?
I have been hearing for a while now, locally, when about to stop a suspected stolen vehicle, to make sure you turn on your camera like we discussed. It was always my impression they were taking about a vehicle camera, not a body cam. Usually hear them refer to plate readers as LPR or ALPR.

gary123

I heard they are dash cams. The plate readers require a good data connection to function right. The system cannot take 100's of cars constantly sending electronic plate verification checks.

There might be a bit of smoke and mirrors going on too. A lot of people think that just because you do not get a sticker (val tag) you do not have to register the car. Same logic seems to go to having insurance and to a lesser extent a drivers license. This may be trying to put the fear of getting caught into peoples minds.

Ubbe

I heard they are dash cams. The plate readers require a good data connection to function right. The system cannot take 100's of cars constantly sending electronic plate verification checks.
They usually download the full database to each vehicle and then do a small update, probably before each start of a shift. It would be too slow and take up too much resources to interrogate a remote server for each plate coming into view of the camera. The activating are probably to setup the database and configure the computer in the vehicle.

Our local commuter buses have a vehicle computer and at the bus depot they have a WiFi system that updates their databases when a bus are parked for the night and then logs into the WiFi system. They have two reserved spaces in computer memory for one database so that if an updates fails it reverts back to the old database.

Our police vehicles have just recently been installed with NPR cameras but have not yet been approved to be used, as it is considered to be a violation of a persons integrity. The same reason are given for body cams in different professions and cameras inside buses and at town squares and public places. It's a matter of how the recorded material are handled and how people have access to it and usually means it would need to be protected and secured and encrypted so that only a few people can view the recordings and only after a police investigation have initiated and been cleared from a prosecutor.

/Ubbe

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The plate readers require a good data connection to function right. The system cannot take 100's of cars constantly sending electronic plate verification checks.
@Ubbe is correct. There is a database in the car already so they don't even need a connection. They just drive, the reader ingests hundreds of plates and compares to the database.

Today's license plate readers use “specialized digital cameras and computers to quickly capture large numbers of photographs of license plates, convert them to text and compare them quickly to a large number of plates of interest.” The “plates of interest” are contained in the “hot list” that is downloaded into the license plate reader and may include data from terrorist watch lists, stolen cars or parking scofflaws. The system alerts if a license plate of a car passing matches a “plate of interest.”

EWC_BDN

My sister was pulled over because of License Plate Recognition. Her car was registered to our mother who had her license suspended after her stroke.
The cop said, "Hey, the owner of this car has a suspended license". Easy explanation. Here in Manitoba everyone registers their car to the person with the best driving record to save money because the rate is based on the owner. (kinda dumb)

XBrandonEdwardX

Telecommunications
I think this is something that they've been rolling out for a while now. About a month or so ago, I heard dispatchers telling all the officers who had the "new camera systems installed, to shut them off because it was causing interference with their in-car VPN's."

I am curious if anyone else heard this too or not?

Muxlow

Super Secret
Seems this is the unit they are using. Mounted in the front window where the old RDD use to be. Dash cam and ALPR unit all in one