OPP on 42MHz (good old days)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Rather than go off-topic in a recent thread, decided to start a thread on the good-old days when OPP were on 42MHz.

To start off: hearing base stations on direct channels gave some sense of distance, which was missing in later systems. We could hear the strong nearby detachments (Long Sault, Ottawa, Perth) but also weaker/smaller stations including Hawkesbury, Kemptville, Pembroke sometimes, and others when the propagation was better.

One day, a repeater chunk was heard, followed by "EMO clear". Wondered what Emergency Measures Organization (not Emergency Management Ontario at that time) was doing on OPP frequencies. Turned out to be Emo, Ontario, way north-west, enhanced propagation, which had a repeater. Thunder Bay, Nipigon etc. were later heard.

Dave

nd5y

How many channel pairs or simplex channels did they have on low band?
I remember hearing both OPP and Missouri SHP on 42.06/42.22 all summer here in Texas most years.
I also remember 41.96 but it seemed like there was only one station there and if there was a mobile frequency I never found it .

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
42.060/42.22
41.960/42.02

42.060 was the standard pair used across most of the province.
41.960 was used in London/Woodstock and a few other areas.
42.000 was used for the old airplane patrols.

I believe the Pac-RT's were on 458.5625.

DaveH

Vehicle repeaters around Ottawa were cross-banded to VHF high-band (151.700), not UHF that I was aware of. That was before the UHF VR 411.3125 came along, when NOR took over.

Dave

mrweather

I too remember OPP on low-band. I grew up in Windsor and used to listen to Essex, Chatham and Sombra detachments on 42.060. On occasion I'd hear the Petrolia and Forest detachments. Sometimes I'd hear Essex call Chatham and vice versa.

During band openings I'd routinely hear Missouri state police on the OPP base frequency.

Were the Pac-RT's a GTA thing? I don't recall OPP cruisers in my neck of the woods having vehicular repeaters. I certainly don't remember the officers carrying HT's.

DaveH

Other interesting factoid, OPP in Long Sault used to communicate across the border to NYS Police. Each monitored the other's frequency (154.695 or 154.905 for NYS) and called on their own frequencies. This might have occurred in other border areas. Not exactly a sanctioned method but I guess it worked.

Dave

gary123

42.060/42.22
41.960/42.02

correct

add from my dusty records
42.500 drugs/surveillance rarely used but assigned
42.620 low power portables in ottawa area

olalfer

42 Mhz

42.060/42.22
41.960/42.02

Also had 41.98 used on the Niagara tower which was located on top of Effingham Hill in Fonthill. Niagara could be heard all over southern Ont. and was very wide reaching,, with the height and power it knocked out most other stations at that time (Ft.Erie, Welland, St Cath. Smithville, all part of the old #4 District) so much and they transmitted so often is the reason they split up the main frequency (42.06) into 3 ( 42.06, 41.98, 41.96 ) Was great when you were in a car and had your choice of 2 frequencies to choose from, the dispatch freq. and a car-to-car simplex. All could be listen to by dispatch.

NOW when they changed and if you rode a Motorcycle like I did you had a bit of a problem as someone had the amazing idea that the MC was only used in summer months so the MC was NOT changed to the new 41.98 where I was in Niagara. ( To Save Money,,, of course) We had to use car-to-car all the time. this frequency was on a sub speaker and turned down so as not to "disturb" the Radio Op.....lol

So here is the skinny,
I am going home for lunch in Welland, ( about 5Km from Effingham Hill )
It is summer, skip is rolling from the boys in Missouri State Police
I can only use the car-to-car Freq,
I call Niagara from 40-519, my MC number, for about 10 min trying to get their attention to log off.
Insert your best southern drawl here ---- Poplar Bluff Missouri answers my call to see if I have a problem or need help, I thank them and reply I am trying to log off for lunch,,,
They call Niagara on Car-To-Car and tell Niagara that their MC 40-519 is home for lunch, Niagara reply's with thanks.

WAIT FOR IT ------- I get in the house, the phone is ringing, it's the comm Sgt. in Niagara giving me crap for improper use of radio (10-30 Radio)

Ahhhhhh yes the good ol days...lol

DaveH

I also remember Missouri State (KAA201 etc.) having to relay OPP comms at times.

Another tidbit, OPP west of Ottawa had a link on 166.530, used to listen to it driving out Hwy. 7.

Dave

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
I used to listen In Windsor , & Im pretty sure I saw several of those trunk mounted units at ham swaps after they switched

mmisk

RE: 154.695 or 154.905

Interesting, 154.695 and 154.905 are still active today.

I have them entered in my scan list.

ve3opc

Up here 9 District Belleville was 42.060/42.220 Base Mobile paired with 42.000 being used for air support 41.960/42.020 was 8 district paired those where the days I recall also MNR was displaced in the 46.000 MHZ range with LAPD scattered through the 39 MHz range and CHPs at 42 MHz range.

dazed99

Also had 41.98 used on the Niagara tower which was located on top of Effingham Hill in Fonthill. Niagara could be heard all over southern Ont. and was very wide reaching,, with the height and power it knocked out most other stations at that time (Ft.Erie, Welland, St Cath. Smithville, all part of the old #4 District) so much and they transmitted so often is the reason they split up the main frequency (42.06) into 3 ( 42.06, 41.98, 41.96 ) Was great when you were in a car and had your choice of 2 frequencies to choose from, the dispatch freq. and a car-to-car simplex. All could be listen to by dispatch.

NOW when they changed and if you rode a Motorcycle like I did you had a bit of a problem as someone had the amazing idea that the MC was only used in summer months so the MC was NOT changed to the new 41.98 where I was in Niagara. ( To Save Money,,, of course) We had to use car-to-car all the time. this frequency was on a sub speaker and turned down so as not to "disturb" the Radio Op.....lol

So here is the skinny,
I am going home for lunch in Welland, ( about 5Km from Effingham Hill )
It is summer, skip is rolling from the boys in Missouri State Police
I can only use the car-to-car Freq,
I call Niagara from 40-519, my MC number, for about 10 min trying to get their attention to log off.
Insert your best southern drawl here ---- Poplar Bluff Missouri answers my call to see if I have a problem or need help, I thank them and reply I am trying to log off for lunch,,,
They call Niagara on Car-To-Car and tell Niagara that their MC 40-519 is home for lunch, Niagara reply's with thanks.

WAIT FOR IT ------- I get in the house, the phone is ringing, it's the comm Sgt. in Niagara giving me crap for improper use of radio (10-30 Radio)

Ahhhhhh yes the good ol days...lol

Great story. Thanks for sharing! I also remember the 42 MHz days.

Status
Not open for further replies.