OPP on a manhunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

Sounds like they are up in the Kinkardine area, they have the dogs and helicopter and I think I heard ERT, been at it since this morning.

VE3RADIO

Dont post stuff like this! This is why ENC is coming more common... most people here already have scanners and can hear for themself.

h4waii

I suppose that the people they are looking for will be scouring RR and see this thread?

I don't really see why you don't want all this information posted, it's a specialized hobby forum. Legitimate question.

unlisted

I suppose that the people they are looking for will be scouring RR and see this thread?

I don't really see why you don't want all this information posted, it's a specialized hobby forum. Legitimate question.

Simple two words:

GOOGLE SEARCH

This forum is not "private" nor is any of the information contained within. There is a reason I rarely post police information on the yahoo groups, or why I post after a length of time has passed, or the situation is rectified.

unlisted

Yes, I realize that - I'm trying to understand the harm in posting public record information.

Its not really "public record" while the situation is occurring.. Security/safety at a incident scene trumps "public knowledge" or "need to know". If someone was to post critical info about a situation online, (like SWAT moving in 2 minutes) in real time, and it was relayed to the bad guys- well, there goes the whole plan.

I got a bit of a talking to once before with the police- years ago- I posted something that was "underway" and well, next thing I hear over the scanner is 10-3. About 10 minutes later I got a nice call after they tracked my username and email address.

My 0.02 on the matter.

Squishy

From the Radiocommunication Act:
(2) Except as prescribed, no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radiocommunication, except as permitted by the originator of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it.
Emphasis mine.

You don't know what is meant to be part of public record and what could be a simple slip-up by an officer who communicates sensitive information. The media will generally respect this and will not print information they are asked to withhold, whether or not it was transmitted over "public" airwaves.

h4waii

Intercept and make use of. As hobbyists, are we not making us of it for entertainment or informative purposes? I'm not trying to be some sort of asshat or troll. I understand the differences, legality and "common sense" use of a scanner.

I can completely understand not sharing time-sensitive, personal information or something that may compromise the safety or security of an operation - but posting that an undisclosed unit is on the searching for an undisclosed suspect in a general area?

Squishy

Simply opening the subject on an on-going action is dangerous, as you may have others posting, for example, "Yeah, I heard about 20 units on scene in xx area just now," when the police services involved may not want their exact numbers known or their exact location known. Simply having the subject online so soon could make the powers-that-be nervous; our local police services board is already nervous about scanners, but luckily we're under the envelope of the OPP and they have not gone fully encrypted yet.

unlisted

Intercept and make use of. As hobbyists, are we not making us of it for entertainment or informative purposes? I'm not trying to be some sort of asshat or troll. I understand the differences, legality and "common sense" use of a scanner.

The moment you technically "relay" ANY information you heard over the airwaves, you have broken the law, the way it is written. Even if you simply call your mother and say "I heard on the scanner there was a traffic accident or fire down the road from your house" thats illegal. That is the whole "no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radiocommunication" part of the act.

Do I break the law while scanning? Normally no. Do I sometimes relay information I hear off the scanner? Yes. Do I know I am breaking the law when I do? Yes. Do I use sound judgment (now) when I decide to break the law, and what content and when I post? Yes.

Its a very fine line. Normally, I look at it this way:

Police- post info only if major, not on the news, and the critical situation is over.- basically make sure it won't bite you in the arse if you do post. I normally give very generic PD info if I do post. (example- OPP chase HWY 400 yesterday- I simply posted the Aurora Det. car chase hwy 400 passing 407.)

Fire- More or less free game. Don't post info on patients, other than generic condition. (no names, personal identifying info, no specific vehicle info, etc) Very generic Patient info, sure. (critical, okay, VSA, etc)

EMS- No real reason unless its a really interesting call, but than its normally also involving the police or fire.

VE3RADIO

I can completely understand not sharing time-sensitive, personal information or something that may compromise the safety or security of an operation - but posting that an undisclosed unit is on the searching for an undisclosed suspect in a general area?

People like you cause police and other agencies to encrypt.. but don't worry soon enough everything will be ENC and you will have nothing to blog about online.. just your 600 dollar scanner that is a paper weight!

Command30

Just use IPN or the Ontario_Hotshot group. Apparently posting it via those mediums is legal and permissible - as opposed to here.

nova1010

I don't really see why you don't want all this information posted

Are you kidding me..if everyone posted everything they heard 24/7 Im pretty sure it wouldn't be long before ENC kicks in...get it?

it's a specialized hobby forum. Legitimate question.

It wasn't a "Legitimate question" it was a post that shouldn't have been posted here it should be kept to himself plain and simple.

Command30

Can we have our own "Ontario Incidents and Breaking News" like every US state does? It would really mitigate the mud flinging in these circumstances.

moonbounce

Perhaps we should have the site moderator decide on what we can and can't post, related to this subject. I really have not seen anything related to rules, or maybe I missed that, if I did my apologies, if not then we better make some up.
What I find strange is that the last place the police would have to worry about intercepted communications on an ongoing event, would be here. This site is more for hardcore hobbyists. I would think the people in the immediate area with or without radio's will know first off that something is going on in thier neck of the woods, then those who can look up in the sky and see the OPP helicopter hovering around might be the next group to clue in.
Anyways, I will definitely abide by the rules and regulations of this site, if the moderator would care to jump in and tell me I did a no no, that would be fine with me. But when another member starts making his own rules, and expects me to obey them, that is not alright with me.
BTW, it appears that on other threads that they don't seem to have a problem discussing live what is currently coming across the airwaves, my you guys (wz1, animaljr) should go and straighten them out also, and not must me. Have a nice day, moonbounce.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If a new Breaking News forum is wanted, the place to ask for it is in the Forum Administration forum.

Last time I checked, only a handful of US States had the forum.

This legality topic has been beat to death multiple times in this forum.

It would be interesting to see how other areas have handled this topic.

I'd be leery of posting anything that could possibly compromise officer safety. Since it wasn't known what type of search was ongoing in the post that started this thread, I personally wouldn't have posted anything.

While it's unlikely any criminals would have had a scanner in this case, we all probably remember Millsdog.

Keep in mind that the Live Audio guidelines prohibit broadcasting any SWAT type activity and I think if we had used those guidelines this event wouldn't have fit the criteria.

I suggest people interested ask for the Breaking News forum in the Forum Admin forum and the discussion of what is appropriate be continued there.

Who knows, perhaps there's a site wide policy already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.