Opp sim 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listening and I seen OPP sim 5 come up on my scanner and it's Encrypted anyone know why it would be Encrypted first time I've seen opp have there coms Encrypted???

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It's encrypted because they don't want you or the bad guys they're following listening in.

The investigative units, TRU and a couple of other departments have access to encryption and use it on a fairly regular basis.

The Sim channels from Sim3 and up are generally encrypted although at times you'll hear clear transmissions.

Last edited:

VE3JSO

they could be on a stake out or other investigations they are using a sim channel to free up the ops talkgroup

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
following who said I was following?? I asked what it would be that is Encrypted on that Sim channel

Nobody said you were following them.

It's encrypted because the guys using the channel don't want anybody listening in.

It would probably be some sort of surveillance or undercover activity.

VE3RADIO

Just listening and I seen OPP sim 5 come up on my scanner and it's Encrypted anyone know why it would be Encrypted first time I've seen opp have there coms Encrypted???

If you do some reading on here you will quickly learn that talking about what you hear is forbidden and not a good idea. Keep it to yourself and enjoy.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
As Mike mentioned earlier there is a handful (actually more than a dozen) of these conventional frequencies that are used by OPP and joint forces units like CISO. Comms are low power & simplex and almost always encrypted. Many times if encrypted chatter pops up it's gone just as quick as they were moving thru the area on someones tail. Occasionally you will hear a unit in the clear (and this applies to the conventional channels the RCMP use as well) while the rest of the group is encrypted. Sometimes they will all be in the clear, heck sometimes they are even analog (although that doesn't happen too often anymore). As a rule of thumb if I hear *any* of the units in the clear, I won't mention it on here. If all the comms are encrypted and ongoing I may post about here just to confirm that it is indeed an active and in use frequency. As you perhaps have seen on other threads this is a very touchy subject and it's usually best to keep anything you hear in the clear either to yourself or, if you want to discuss it with others, do it in private. Chances are we aren't going to spoil any active investigations by mentioning something here (but you never know!) but you can bet for sure that any officers that may be browsing thru here will be quick to report back that there are radios out there without their encryption on. Back to your initial question though... there is certainly no harm done asking who uses this channel and that you heard encrypted data on it. For all we know it could have been two radio techs discussing this years Christmas party.

Status
Not open for further replies.