OPP Southwest

Status
Not open for further replies.

jugular

Greetings all,

New user here. I recently found a feed for Brant Haldimand OPP which is cool because I live in Brant. I managed to deduce in my first couple sessions the distinction of Bravo and Charlie and Quebec. Then today I found the soft ID list for OPP. Now I understand the rest of it. One question though. I've also have been hearing an Alpha designation on this talk group. Earlier today London routed a traffic complaint to a Haldimand unit who was out of position but was responding. Then a until with the designation 6-alpha-2-9-5 radioed that he was close by and would try to intercept. Alpha designation isn't listed on the soft ID list..any ideas? My thought is highway safety but I don't know since Brant OPP are frequently on the 403.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Greetings all,

New user here. I recently found a feed for Brant Haldimand OPP which is cool because I live in Brant. I managed to deduce in my first couple sessions the distinction of Bravo and Charlie and Quebec. Then today I found the soft ID list for OPP. Now I understand the rest of it. One question though. I've also have been hearing an Alpha designation on this talk group. Earlier today London routed a traffic complaint to a Haldimand unit who was out of position but was responding. Then a until with the designation 6-alpha-2-9-5 radioed that he was close by and would try to intercept. Alpha designation isn't listed on the soft ID list..any ideas? My thought is highway safety but I don't know since Brant OPP are frequently on the 403.

Alpha units are 'special' units, often used during important events and they appear often enough on the talkgroup you are monitoring. They seem to be pretty active on the Oxford talkgroup as well, sometimes patrolling the 401 or 403 there and sometimes during events in Norfolk Co.

jugular

This was prior to that probably around 2pm but thanks for the info. I've heard them a couple times now over the last couple weeks. Wonder if that's just the norm for the season with all the fairs and fall festivals going on.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Naw, Alpha units are heard all of the time, just heard a 1 zone (thats north of the GTA in the Barrie, Georgian Bay East, Caledon area) on the Aurora/407 talkgroup. And I always hear them in the 5 Zone (GTA, K/W, Burl, etc) and the 6 Zone (London dispatch), on talkgroups wherever needed.

In the summer of 2010 I was driving back from Ingersoll and had the scanner on. There was a call about a high miler EB at the 401/403 split, on the Oxford talkgroup. Since there were no Oxford units in the area a 6 Alpha unit that also was heading EB was in the area and took the call. Watched him pass me and he lit them up on 403 just as it got close to the Brant Line.

So they are always out there, and are used if there is a special event or a serious event or just for high-milers, I hear them all the time on the 403 on any of the London dispatched talkgroups, maybe Alpha units have a detachment in the area, IDK, maybe someone else can enlighten us.

cuzinit001

Premium Subscriber
Alpha units in the Grey/ Bruce area are from MtForest detachment, and consist of traffic units, ident units. The units usually switch to the talk groups for the area they are patroling in, or working in

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Alpha units in the Grey/ Bruce area are from MtForest detachment, and consist of traffic units, ident units. The units usually switch to the talk groups for the area they are patroling in, or working in

This answer above should answer the original poster's question. I imagine that they spread out from Mt.Forest because it is close enough to Grey and Bruce as well as Wellington.

I am not sure where the Alpha units are assigned to anywhere else, if one cares enough they can search thru the forums, I think it as been asked and answered before, guessing that there are alpha units based in Oxford , Woodstock mainly, easy access to the 401/403, Oxford, Norfolk, Haldimand, Brant Counties and Perth and Elgin. Or maybe London, dunno.

mciupa

Database Admin
I think that Alpha units are based out of various regional headquarters - Orillia, London etc...

jugular

Also heard the 6-Yankee today wanted to go 10-10 with another 6-Yankee unit. I'm going to do some research to see if I can figure that one out.

newtecradio

I think that Alpha units are based out of various regional headquarters - Orillia, London etc...

Here in the Orillia Dispatch Centre they seem to stand for Officers that are trained in Investigating Traffic Collisions TTCI. We have had way to many fatal collisions in the Nottawasga and Dufferin OPP area lately and I always hear Alpha followed by unit number on the talk group heading to the accident.

Last edited:

uncleblackie

Also heard the 6-Yankee today wanted to go 10-10 with another 6-Yankee unit. I'm going to do some research to see if I can figure that one out.

Yankee designations are for emergency response team officers or ERT as you will hear them referred to.
ERT are officers trained in search and rescue, disaster response, etc.

When they are activated, they switch from their regular soft id to a yankee designation for the duration of the incident they are responding to.

Status
Not open for further replies.