OPP Surveillance 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I seen pop up last night around 11pm - midnight on the OPP Mississauga tower Surveillance 5 1776 TG to bad its encrypted... I guess by no dumb luck it wouldn't be set to a differnt APCO level then the normal? Guess we couldn't get that lucky... :D

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by a different "level" of P25?

The OPP guys can choose to run clear or encrypted (with their choice of 10 or so keys from what I'm told)...It'd be nice if one of them lost their keys and everyone had to be in the clear :)

jellotor

Do they all have to run without encryption if one radio has encryption turned off? I understand there's a difference between switching off encryption and not having the keys but I've heard plenty of Joint Forces communications on Fleetnet where there's one or two radios in the clear while the rest are encrypted.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
exkalibur said:
What do you mean by a different "level" of P25?

The OPP guys can choose to run clear or encrypted (with their choice of 10 or so keys from what I'm told)...It'd be nice if one of them lost their keys and everyone had to be in the clear :)

Well on the 396 we have that setting at say level 8 (maybe i am wishing) but is it possible they could run at say a level of 15 ? I think Peel has excrypted radios as well wonder what they run under...

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Re-OPP

Chrome69 said:
I seen pop up last night around 11pm - midnight on the OPP Mississauga tower Surveillance 5 1776 TG to bad its encrypted... I guess by no dumb luck it wouldn't be set to a differnt APCO level then the normal? Guess we couldn't get that lucky... :D

I think it was Saturday nite if I'm not mistaken, 1776 Surveillance 5 OPP was in the clear and not encrypted, I was listening to the Welland Tower and was surprised, sorry I did not send an email to everyone.
Steve

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Saint said:
I think it was Saturday nite if I'm not mistaken, 1776 Surveillance 5 OPP was in the clear and not encrypted, I was listening to the Welland Tower and was surprised, sorry I did not send an email to everyone.
Steve

I say about 1/2 the time I hear them in the clear. Or one side of the transmission is encrypted and the other is clear. So it depends
Take care

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Chrome69 said:
Well on the 396 we have that setting at say level 8 (maybe i am wishing) but is it possible they could run at say a level of 15 ? I think Peel has excrypted radios as well wonder what they run under...

There is no possilble way to hear encypted transmissions no matter what settings/Levels you put in your scanner so I'm not sure what your trying to enter in your scanner?
Take care

rhutch

tonsoffun said:
There is no possilble way to hear encypted transmissions no matter what settings/Levels you put in your scanner so I'm not sure what your trying to enter in your scanner?
Take care

I think is is trying to say that " he wished that it wasn't encrypted" and "that it was just a decoding issue" which obvisously it's not.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't matter...as long as everyone has the key being used in their radio, they can transmit in the clear or secure. If Person A is transmitting in the clear and Person B is encrypted, Person A will still hear the encrypted comms, so long as they both have the same key in their radios. The only difference is the encryption indicator (a slashed 0), and on conventional, the RX LED will flash differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.