OPP Tac Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

webstar22 said:
Anyone got anything to add to this?

http://forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-administration/226849-tac-channels.html#post1661003

I'm trying to figure out what else OPP use TAC's for.

Events, aircraft to ground speedtraps. Probably ride programs, incidents when different juridictions work with each other. Tac channels can be activated by all cars I think. If a Norfolk Co 6 Oscar car was working with a Burlington 5 Charley car they both have access to the tac channels. As for this sites refusal to allow feeds for tac channels, its Lindsays site and he is smart enough to know what to do and what not to do.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Anyone got anything to add to this?

http://forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-administration/226849-tac-channels.html#post1661003

I'm trying to figure out what else OPP use TAC's for.

Here's the list from the other thread:

webstar22 said:
Up here on the fleetnet TAC channels are used to patch Police to EMS, Police to Fire, EMS to Fire, OPP to Local PD's. OPP to natural resourses/forestry.

I would disagree with you on pretty much all those examples.

OPP do not have access to any EMS or Fire talkgroups so patching them is out of their abilities.

There's some mutual aid talkgroups on the system which would be used if such an event ever warranted it.

When a patch is required to a local PD, they generally patch the OPS talkgroup since the event is usually short lived and there's not time to have the officers switch over to a TAC.

Most of the time you'll hear special events, searches and tactical ops on the TAC channels.

I also disagree with this statement:

webstar22 said:
Swat events are all encrypted for the most part.

With the exception of the TRU Team, most tactical onscene communications are unencrypted and carried on a TAC Channel.

The ERT and K9 teams that secure the perimeter are all unencrypted.

VE3JSO

With the exception of the TRU Team, most tactical onscene communications are unencrypted and carried on a TAC Channel.

that's what i thought the few times that i heard the ERT and TRU was in the clear

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Here's the list from the other thread:

I would disagree with you on pretty much all those examples.

OPP do not have access to any EMS or Fire talkgroups so patching them is out of their abilities.

There's some mutual aid talkgroups on the system which would be used if such an event ever warranted it.

When a patch is required to a local PD, they generally patch the OPS talkgroup since the event is usually short lived and there's not time to have the officers switch over to a TAC.

Most of the time you'll hear special events, searches and tactical ops on the TAC channels.

I also disagree with this statement:

Sorry, EMS goto 2PCSAF (or whatever zone you are in) and then the dispatcher patches that to a TAC channel normally. That happens twice every sunday up in zone two. And then they patch OPC to TAC or normal ops depending on whats going on. I stand by what I posted Tomato, Tomatoe

VE3RADIO

While I cant speak for Eastern Ontario but in Zone 1 they are used for speeding, airplane to ground etc.. never MOH/Fire.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I've heard the checks on Sunday mornings and I know Orillia Comm Centre does not check PCSAF. I've never heard London Comm Centre on there either.

But have you heard any EMS/OPP interop other than the Sunday morning checks?

Other than OPC Common or the patch radio installed on various systems (which normally gets patched to an OPS talkgroup), 99% of the comm's on the TAC channels are what WZ1 and EJB stated.

As for whether the TAC talkgroups are suitable for a Live Audio stream, I'd say no.

Since they are used for incidents such as SWAT type activities (which aren't encrypted), you would be jeopardizing officer safety and this is exactly why these channels are against the TOS.

I'm sure temporarily adding them into your feed for special events would be fine however they should probably be removed once the special event is done.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
OPP patch TAC to PCSAF and EMS goto PCSAF and away they go.

Can a digital talkgroup be patched to an analog talkgroup? I know on an EDACS system it can't...

I guess it can, now that I think of it. As Mike mentioned I've heard OPS talkgroups patched with OPC before. I don't think I've *ever* heard PCSAF used out of London Comm Centre. Or any of those interagency talkgroups for that matter.

VE3RADIO

Can a digital talkgroup be patched to an analog talkgroup? I know on an EDACS system it can't...

I guess it can, now that I think of it. As Mike mentioned I've heard OPS talkgroups patched with OPC before. I don't think I've *ever* heard PCSAF used out of London Comm Centre. Or any of those interagency talkgroups for that matter.

Sometimes TPS and OPP are patched, OPP is obviously digital and TPS is analog.. both are running 3600 mixed mode systems tho..

VE3JSO

since starting in the scanning hobby back in 07 i never heard pcsaf used in london comm centre or the centre toronto uses

hemi

never herd of ems and opp using pcsaf in zone 2 either. smithfalls test provincial common sundays with local police forces patched. cobourg police,belleville police, and peterborough police for example.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I checked my Trunk88 log and the last time I saw activity on the Edgar tower was February 2011.

This could have been a voice call or affiliation.

slicerwizard

I guess it can, now that I think of it. As Mike mentioned I've heard OPS talkgroups patched with OPC before.
OPC is not a talkgroup.

Sometimes TPS and OPP are patched, OPP is obviously digital and TPS is analog.. both are running 3600 mixed mode systems tho..
You are describing a hack that bridges two disparate systems, not a Motorola patch. And like many hacks, TPS' bridging hacks don't work very well - as many of us have heard.

Up here in north western zone 2 I have never heard a link between the OPP and MOH... To put it simply the guy's with out guns can't talk to the guys with guns and the guys with guns can talk to the other guys with guns.....MTO enforcement can't talk to MTO roads. The system was built to do this but politics won't allow it. However the OPP can Link with some other PS systems Last month during the great truck chase Peel PS (dispatch) was on the TG and said they were ready to setup link if any Peel units were needed I was mobile in the western GTA and monitored that chase for 5 hours. From what I heard the link was not done by the mobiles but the link was done by dispatch on both sides One of the units asked Orillia if he could talk to the Halton car in the chase Orillia said she was on the phone with their dispatcher and could not patch to Halton. All Police services can communicate on provincial common but not all cars can. Most PS using VHF can go car to car and service to service some on 800Mhz have a link to the tower and some can only get info relayed through dispatch when needing to use provincial common. Now some years ago before the NRPS got their new radios a few times when there were problems on ch 1 (142.410) they would use provincial common this only happened a few times. In Muskoka the only comms we hear on provincial common is on the Simcoe county towers and that is between Barrie city, South Simcoe, Midland PS's and OPP. Kawartha lakes, Peterborough and some other PS's and OPP testing on a Victoria county tower and very weak signal with Northbay and OPP testing on a tower near Northbay. I have never heard any other service (Fire, EMS. MTO, MNR) only police on Provicial common.

Jammin_Jay

OPC, sometimes has mutiple repeaters key up, when there is something significant going on, that
requires different police agencies, and OPP. Such that, the expansion of the listening area, becomes greater.

I also have heard Sim1 and OPC patched together with OPP helicopter, this was near Kingston, on Hwy 401, when bank robbers were being sought for and spotted, and crashed the car, and started running into the city.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.