OPPD's Nashville Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon.

After reading about the Nashville tower in the "System Notes" for the ORIN system, I became interested in the fact that it might still be running analog channels.

A trip, over the lunch hour today, to the Nashville tower site would seem to indicate that they are not running any analog signals on that tower. In fact, the only control channel running on that tower is MUD's 3600 baud Motorola control channel.

I did see, however, a truck at the OPPD comm building, which would seem to indicate that they're currently in the process of adding the site to the ORIN system.

Question is - what site number will it use? 112 is the last OPPD site, with 113 being Washington County. Too bad they didn't put WashCo on 114, giving them room to have Nashville on 113, making the OPPD sites all contiguous.

Anyone know any further details!

73's

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
realgeo said:
Question is - what site number will it use? 112 is the last OPPD site, with 113 being Washington County. Too bad they didn't put WashCo on 114, giving them room to have Nashville on 113, making the OPPD sites all contiguous.

I was thinking the same thing myself a few days ago. It would have made sense to make the Nashville tower 113, but it will probably endup as 114 or 115. Then again if Pottawattamie County ends up being 201, this will really makes very interesting!

73's

Ron

Thunderbolt

I see that the Nashville tower is also licensed for two more channel pairs under [SIZE=-1]WPTA210[/SIZE] :

I see that other sites are licensed under this same call sign, along with [SIZE=-1]WPSZ331 at other locations. All of the frequency pairs have been changed to Project 25 data and voice emission modes. It would be interesting to see if any of these frequencies start showing up at the other tower sites?

73's

Ron[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Thunderbolt

I was just thinking, since the OPPD's Nashville site is in Washington County, could that site be part of the County's TRS? It would be interesting to run Pro96com on that tower and see if its using any of the old OPPD frequencies?

73's

Ron

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Howdy, Ron!

Yep - I guess the site numbering plan could be changeable, if they can push that change out to the radios over the air. In this way, they could move the Washington County site to 114 and put Nashville on 113.

I, too, thought about the Nashville tower being part of the Washington County system. Currently, they only have three sites - two are co-located with OPPD's Telbasta and Blair towers, and the third is on a tower near Herman. The coverage in Fort Calhoun, from the Blair tower, is a bit spotty, but would be filled-in quite nicely with the addition of the Nashville tower. Since that tower is line-of-site with Fort Calhoun and that general area, it would be a good addition.

I imagine that the extra channels at each site are probably "backup channels", should the trunking system go down or develop a major problem, prohibiting communications.

73's

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Hey, Ron!

I'm sure you've used a program called Google Earth - if not, take a look at it! It's a pretty cool tool for mapping tower sites.

On my copy, I have mapped all of the OPPD, Washington County, and Douglas county TRS tower sites, according to the Lat/Lon coordinates in the FCC database.

I could send you my .KMZ file for each.

73's

Thunderbolt

realgeo said:
Hey, Ron!

I'm sure you've used a program called Google Earth - if not, take a look at it! It's a pretty cool tool for mapping tower sites.

On my copy, I have mapped all of the OPPD, Washington County, and Douglas county TRS tower sites, according to the Lat/Lon coordinates in the FCC database.

I could send you my .KMZ file for each.

73's

I love Google Earth! That program is fantastic to say the least! If you like, send me your .KMZ file.

73's

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.