Optimum Squelch Setting For P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginky4

What is the optimum squelch setting while scanning a p25 digitally trunked 800mhz system? Mine got set to 10 by accident which is the max and the audio transmissions kept cutting out. It took me awhile to figure out why the audio transmissions kept dropping.

I decided to put it to 0 and it is working really well at that setting. It there a squelch setting that is recommended when scanning this type of system?

ginky4

I originally had mine set to 2 before it got screwed up and accidently set to 10. I am now testing it at 0 to see if that setting causes me any problems.

Linneweh

Premium Subscriber
I have mine set a 2, due to UHF (single channel station ), that need It up. It does not effect the P25 Stations.

ginky4

I just set mine back to 2. I remember setting it at 0 once before and there was some strange issue I was having at that setting. Just can't remember what it was.

JamesO

Seems that all my Uniden radios, to include the HP-1 tend to work well at a Squelch setting of 2.

ginky4

I do believe that the Squelch setting of 2 is the best after doing some testing. When I had mine set to 0 some of the audio transmissions would just hang on the TGID and had a hard time moving on once the audio transmission stopped.

When mine got set to 10 by accident the scanner would be really silent for long periods of time and when an audio transmission did get through it would drop off right in the middle of the transmission. Just like it would do if you had the Weather priority set.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
In 50 years of scanning I have never set the squelch higher than 2, I don't know why they even go that high.

Before trunked systems I would rotate the squelch until the static stopped, maybe a little higher. Didn't have numbered settings in the older scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.