Optocom Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanDaBands

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Would anybody mind sharing the configurations with the way they have the Optoelectronics Optocom set up with their PC? IE: Cables (I know the 9 pin for 232 , but others?) Audio ? CI-5 ? etc. What kind of cables?

and also what software ? I have probe 7.0 ....

appreciated 100% , ScanDabands ( Tom )

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I have a pair Optocoms connected to a single computer.
I have them both RS-232 attached to their own com port and I have been using ScanStar Spectrum Commander to control them. I really like Spectrum Commander and it can control almost all of the radios that I own which is very helpful.

I was using one of the Opticoms connected to a old P3 machine dedicated to running Probe v7. I have recently picked up a Pro2042 with an OS535 board which is now my Probe machine, so now both Optocoms are connected to my main PC. Probe is the best. This machine runs 24/7 (and has been running, literaly for years) connected to a cheap 17-inch LCD that I have hanging on the wall. It makes a cool setup that is always running.

For audio I use one of these NCS-3230 to switch between many radios:
http://www.ncsradio.com/m_rx.html

If you have any more questions about the Optocom let me know, they are great little radios.

ScanDaBands

Banned
bagmouse7 said:
I was using one of the Opticoms connected to a old P3 machine dedicated to running Probe v7.

For audio I use one of these NCS-3230 to switch between many radios:
http://www.ncsradio.com/m_rx.html

If you have any more questions about the Optocom let me know, they are great little radios.
Way cool audio control NICE...yes on the Probe....do you have just the 232 cable running each port , I have an IBM 390E which I ran the O535 with and it worked flawless...can't seem to get the Optocom to work...it'll scan but nothing else...It does work with the UPLOAD program from Optoelectronics but no other software....probably baud rate but how do I find out what it's set up for? Hey appreciate the response too by the way.....Tom

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I have just an RS-232 (with all the pins in it) between the computer and the Optocom.
A couple things to check.
First, have you downloaded the old Optoelectronics Optocom utility program:
Grab it here:
http://www.optoelectronics.com/files.htm

One thing to check to to verify that the speaker is turned ON, and also that the Volume control is set to local (so that the volume knob on the Optocom) will work.
Then try tuning a station or two with the Optocom program.
You should also check the emulation type with the program. It can be with the regular optocom, or it can emulate a OS535 interface.

If this program does not work, then I doubt any will.
Try these things and post the results...

ScanDaBands

Banned
bagmouse7 said:
I have just an RS-232 (with all the pins in it) between the computer and the Optocom.
A couple things to check.
First, have you downloaded the old Optoelectronics Optocom utility program:
Grab it here:
http://www.optoelectronics.com/files.htm

One thing to check to to verify that the speaker is turned ON, and also that the Volume control is set to local (so that the volume knob on the Optocom) will work.
Then try tuning a station or two with the Optocom program.
You should also check the emulation type with the program. It can be with the regular optocom, or it can emulate a OS535 interface.

If this program does not work, then I doubt any will.
Try these things and post the results...
YES MY FAULT , that is what works....OPTOCOM , not upload.....works fine tuning my local weather....is there a way to check what BAUD RATE the Optocom is set at ? Or is it , take the cover off and do it on the inside.....hope not ....LOL I still can't get it to work with Probe 7.0 , Scancat SE ,etc. And that's what I have the 232 cable from the Optocom to Com Port 1 on my IBM 390E (that's all I need right?).....kinda odd to me since I used both a 2006/456 AND a 2042/535 with NO PROBLEMS , same computer even......

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
The Optocom will default to 9600, but you can set it higher.
Have you tried Scanstar Spectrum Commandar with it?

ScanDaBands

Banned
bagmouse7 said:
The Optocom will default to 9600, but you can set it higher.
Have you tried Scanstar Spectrum Commandar with it?
Don't have it and at the moment I can't afford it....:(

RayK

Hi,I also have the optocom,when I first set it up I could manually receive with it ,but it wouldn't scan. After a few days of trying to get it to scan, I was using a toshiba laptop which put out a lot of rfi ,I ended up using a rat shack large rf choke , wrap the serial cable around it about 3 turns and after that it worked great .Ray

ScanDaBands

Banned
RayK said:
Hi,I also have the optocom,when I first set it up I could manually receive with it ,but it wouldn't scan. After a few days of trying to get it to scan, I was using a toshiba laptop which put out a lot of rfi ,I ended up using a rat shack large rf choke , wrap the serial cable around it about 3 turns and after that it worked great .Ray
What software ?

RayK

ScanDaBands said:
What software ?
The software was ScanStar Delux, but Probe 7 should also work.?The big problem is a lot of the old programs won't run on Win XP.I feel that the Optocon is an great scanner that has been overlooked. Ray.

ScanDaBands

Banned
RayK said:
The software was ScanStar Delux, but Probe 7 should also work.?The big problem is a lot of the old programs won't run on Win XP.I feel that the Optocon is an great scanner that has been overlooked. Ray.
Thanks I'm running Windows ME on an IBM 390E , I had a Pro-2042 with the Opto 535 and also a Pro-2006 with a Opto 456 that worked absolutely with no problems. Baud Rate is set at 9600 for both the Port and the Optocom , it does scan but it will not RX for some reason , tried scanning 162 for weather and nothing , yes I have an antenna on it....all I have is the 232 interface cable hooked up , do I need any other cables for audio or anything like that....?? Thank You in advance

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Nope,
You just need the serial cable.

So, do you get noise out of the speaker when you open the SQ?
If not, try some headphones and see if you have noise there.

Dave

ScanDaBands

Banned
Audiodave1 said:
Nope,
You just need the serial cable.

So, do you get noise out of the speaker when you open the SQ?
If not, try some headphones and see if you have noise there.

Dave
GOT IT figured out - all set , these re NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.