Optoelectronics Multicounter CD100

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOR-262

I've just been given an Optoelectronics Multicounter Model CD100.

It powers up fine and appears to be ok. I've connected a Watson W881 antenna as a test antenna. I've got a few devices that transmit on various frequencies but the CD100 does absolutely nothing; that is it doesn't display the transmitted frequency.

Anyone own one of these that could tell me why it doesn't appear to be working?

Thanks

AOR-262

@byndhlptom

Thanks for that. However, I have already been through the manual but find nothing in there that answers my issue.

I'm actually wondering if this is a frequency counter that is a counter such as the Optoelectronics Scout or whether this CD100 is designed for indoor/workbench testing of transmitting devices such as 2-way radios. I have a device that transmits on a frequency which this CD100 should display on the screen - but it doesn't, it doesn't display anything. I'm also waiting for a reply from Optoeletronics. Hopefully they'll have an idea. Thanks for the link anyway.

morfis

Don't have one anymore but can confirm it will work like a 'scout'. It's a near-field frequency counter and had no problems detecting hand-held transeiver frequencies (and 'reaction tuning' an AR8200).

AOR-262

@morfis

Ah ok. Thanks for that info. In that case there's obviously something wrong with the counter.

When it powers up, after the welcome screen all it says on the display is:

0.000000 MHz
LTR: 0000000000

Thanks

marksmith

I would say you got a bad one. I had one a few years ago and they work as you expect it to. If working, it should definitely show reception within a few decimal places of the known transmit frequency.

Ubbe

The front-end are probaly blown if someone transmitted too close to the antenna. Maybe the previous owner tried to use it as a dummy load.
Optoelectronics are usually very generous with their repairs. I had one broken digital Scout that I sent to them and they replaced it with a new MarkII model.

/Ubbe

AOR-262

@marksmith @Ubbe @morfis @Ubbe

Thanks all who replied.

Optoelectronics said it possibly could have a blown Amp but without them having it back to test it they can't be sure. They're pretty confident from what I told them that there is definitely a problem with it (as @Ubbe said, maybe the previous owner tried to use it as a dummy load ... or something).

They did say that using the CD100 wasn't really for what I wanted it for, to use as a frequency counter, that I'd be better suited to a counter such as the Scout or Sweeper. Nice counter it was. Shame it didn't work.

Appreciate the replies. Thanks again.

Ubbe

If you just want to see what frequencies are active nearby, or test some transmitters, you could get a Aceco SC plus that's something like $100 and capture both analog and pulsating digital signals, like your mobile phone. It has no memory and can't control a receiver but there are other more expensive models that do that.

A Scout always shows the correct frequency but the Aceco sometimes will indicate some kind of mixing products or perhaps an overload issue but it's only briefly and the cost are much less than Optoelectronics products so its performance will of course not be of the same standard.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.