OPUS Battery Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I am exhausted just trying to figure out what "forum" to post in. It does get a little ridiculous.

Below is an email I just sent to OPUS. I figured that would be the best format in which to present it here also. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I have 2 days left in which to return or exchange my OPUS.

"This is in regards to my Opus Tester/charger. I had 4 AA radio shack, 2500mA batteries, new, charging for several days. They reached "full" status a few days ago, and I left them in for a trickle charge. Today I took all 4 out and put them into my Uniden portable scanner. I immediately got a "low battery" warning, and the empty battery icon displayed. I removed all 4 and tried another 4, similar batteries, and again they were low. I then tried all 8 batteries in my Radio Shack PRO-106 scanner; same low battery warning.

I then put all 8 batteries in the opus, 4 at a time of course, and they all read over 1.2 volts; most far over.

I then tested each battery individually with a standard, manual battery tester. All 8 batteries were LOW; too low to use in a scanner or any other device.

So, My OPUS tells me they are well charged; My scanners and battery tester say different.

If anyone has any suggestions or past experience I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Greg

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
To tell you the truth, I use RS Enercell 2500mah rechargeable, and they kinda suck. I use a MAHA charger, and I have to slow charge them to use them. I'm not familiar with your charger; if it has a conditioning function try it. If not, try slow charging

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I did some research today, and read where numerous people complained that the batteries I used often give them the "low battery" warning, even fresh from the charger. They were referring to things such as cameras, flash units, etc. I have other batteries not sold by RS that work fine.

I am taking them back and asking for a refund. I bought two packs of 4 each, almost $40.00.

Thanks for the info.

nascentes morimur

Greg

Last edited:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I finally got this resolved, but I would like to thank everyone who helped out.

THANKS "N2MWE."

greggk

Premium Subscriber
It appears to be the Radio Shack batteries. They are charged well over 1.2 volts, but read "dead" when installed. No other battery I tested did this.

Those RS Batteries did work in my RS PRO 106; go figure.

Greg

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Yeah things get strange with all this stuff in general it seems. At least its still working and the batteries are good for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.