Orange County CCCS P25 Update

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
is "5B" still the TGID for OCFA dispatch and if so is it still "E" and why isn't it in the DB?

In 1992 when OCFA joined the 800MHz Smart Zone System, 4B was the north county dispatch and 5B was the south county dispatch talk group. Sometime after the CAD System was installed (can't recall the date), the EOC switched to “batch dispatching” instead of real time dispatching. They abandoned 5B and only used 4B, but they called it 5B for some unknown reason even though in was the 4B talk group.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
In 1992 when OCFA joined the 800MHz Smart Zone System, 4B was the north county dispatch and 5B was the south county dispatch talk group. Sometime after the CAD System was installed (can't recall the date), the EOC switched to “batch dispatching” instead of real time dispatching. They abandoned 5B and only used 4B, but they called it 5B for some unknown reason even though in was the 4B talk group.

I understood that there were never two separate talk groups for north/south dispatch. 4B and 5B both carried the same traffic (Countywide dispatch). This allowed access to dispatch from both of the OCFA zones without needing to switch zones, and did not require a field unit to change zones during transition from initial dispatch (ex: 4B) to response (ex: 5E). I am sure that there's still a 4 and 5B in the radios today. I'll try to confirm...

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
OCComms could care less what subscribers want, they will do whatever a subscriber agency wants - as long as the subs are willing to foot the bill. The Sheriff doesn't care, nor do the Assistant Sheriff, The Area Commanders, et. al.

WHY does every decision about encryption have to be some nefarious thing to personally hurt YOU? You stand up and do the right thing and engage the Chiefs in a professional manner, then come here to imply in your postings they are somehow deep actors, purposefully endangering lives with encryption, and your obvious hopefulness of someone being injured or killed so you can blame encrypton, merely to say "I told you so".

That's where everything you write about encryption seems to go off the rails, the never ending "dark state has something to hide" implications.

RACES is mostly useless, with a long list of members with inflated egos - in fact a RACES member offered to come to my home and beat me up when I laughed at him for designating himself a "first responder" ;)
It goes off the rails because people know its 100% political

monitor142

I understood that there were never two separate talk groups for north/south dispatch. 4B and 5B both carried the same traffic (Countywide dispatch). This allowed access to dispatch from both of the OCFA zones without needing to switch zones, and did not require a field unit to change zones during transition from initial dispatch (ex: 4B) to response (ex: 5E). I am sure that there's still a 4 and 5B in the radios today. I'll try to confirm...
You are correct. 4B and 5B are the same talkgroup ID. Just makes it easier for those in Zone 4 to switch to Bravo, the same as Zone 5 users.

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
It goes off the rails because people know its 100% political

You got right to the heart of the problems with the OC “political”. Politics account for a many of the changes, both negative and positive. Starting in the '70s, the OC made a big change from a rural/suburban community to a more densely populated metropolis. This large growth in a short time frame created problems for county government to keep up with the development. The 1994 Bankruptcy caused more restrictions, when many of the public building became harder for citizens to access. The Board of Supervisors closed door meetings increased along with some of city council meetings.

Things got worst when Mike Corona became sheriff. The media had a pet nickname for Sheriff Corona, “The Sheriff of Nottingham”, due to his passion for formalities. When the Board of Supervisors moved OC Communications into the General Services Department the sheriff managed to get it back as a branch of the Office of Sheriff (not sure how that was done). Many of the rural counties in California do have their communications departments within the sheriff's office. However, in most of the larger metropolitan counties the communication department is within General Services. The sheriff's office is a customer of OCC. How many customers do you know that get to run the store?