Orange County CCCS P25 Update

Engine104

Member since 2005
Thanks for the likes guys... It shows more people than just me are interested.. Now if we could just get some intel :)

MEDIC135

Premium Subscriber
Are there any updates as to when we might be able to hear OCFA comms on air and not just via streaming? Thanks.
I have a buddy who emailed Metro Net about an unrelated topic but included this question and they replied with “the Fire Chiefs are still actively working on unencryption”
Hope no one is giving up on this
I truly believe they will reverse the encryption

Eng74

Was down in OC to see the girlfriend and it sux to hear/see the FD’s responding and not know what is going on. I hate being out of the loop. Instead of being able to stay out of the way and not get caught in traffic, no idea what is going on.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
I am new to site and been reading and looking at moving to OC in the near future. Any in-site on when the encryption is going to be enabled?

Looking back at a lot of older post it looks like OC when encrypted almost 1 year ago. Looks like the encryption is still enabled.

Wonder if its too much work or its a budget issue with labor and money to re-enable the radios. Just curious. Thanks

Engine104

Member since 2005
The OCFA Fire Chief ordered that encryption be removed for most fire comms (I think they want to retain encryption for field to hospital calls). This was, as you say, about a year ago and the only thing that has happened is OCFA and MetroNet comms are now available in the clear via streaming. You can find that on this website through the "Live Audio" link.

Several months ago, I posed the question on here when will we be able to receive OCFA and MetroNet comms on scanners and the consensus seemed to be that it looked a lot like streaming was all we were going to get. I am not sure if that was true, or if there are any further developments. Hopefully, someone will give us an update.

The OCSD and law enforcement in Orange Co has been encrypted for many years now.

russbrill

The OCFA Fire Chief ordered that encryption be removed for most fire comms (I think they want to retain encryption for field to hospital calls). This was, as you say, about a year ago and the only thing that has happened is OCFA and MetroNet comms are now available in the clear via streaming. You can find that on this website through the "Live Audio" link.

Several months ago, I posed the question on here when will we be able to receive OCFA and MetroNet comms on scanners and the consensus seemed to be that it looked a lot like streaming was all we were going to get. I am not sure if that was true, or if there are any further developments. Hopefully, someone will give us an update.

The OCSD and law enforcement in Orange Co has been encrypted for many years now.

Yep, you never know when the Fire you're fighting is listening to a scanner and trying to get the upper hand... Sheeesh, Orange County is a perfect example of Government gone wild...

Mikeey411

Hi everyone just started scanning and I guess this is why I can’t get anything in Brea and surrounding cities. I picked up a Home Patrol 1 and I’m only receiving chatter from LA. Good thing I live in LB I’m able to listen in.
Is there anything I can listen to in the Brea area?

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
I am new to site and been reading and looking at moving to OC in the near future. Any in-site on when the encryption is going to be enabled?

Looking back at a lot of older post it looks like OC when encrypted almost 1 year ago. Looks like the encryption is still enabled.

Wonder if its too much work or its a budget issue with labor and money to re-enable the radios. Just curious. Thanks

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking to move to a scanner enthusiast friendly County, I'm sorry to tell you that you are about 20-years too late. Over the past twenty years Orange County has become a Secret Society (much like the old History Channel series). To answer your question more directly, the last discussion I'm aware of about un-encrypting the fire service radio was in October 2019. From the little bit of information I've been able to gather, there is no current plan to remove the encryption. In fact other city and county agencies have been considering adding encryption to there radio systems. Much of this is the result of vendors touting the advantages of encryption (this increases the price and thus the salesman's commission).

Sorry I don't have better news, but it is what it is!

EMTJD

But... I read where they agreed to remove the encryption. They... lied?

EMTJD

They moved OCFA to streaming. I'm still hoping it will show up in the clear on a scanner at some point, but I'm not holding my breath..
I’m confused. They encrypted because they didn’t want the public listening in. But, they are streaming it so that the public can listen in.
What???

russbrill

I’m confused. They encrypted because they didn’t want the public listening in. But, they are streaming it so that the public can listen in.
What???

It's all about CONTROL, they can turn that stream off at a moments notice without any cost or difficulty.. Then they can tell the public whatever they want to..

brandon

Database Admin
I think COVID pretty much killed any chance of them going non-encrypted anytime soon.

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
Russ is absolutely right! Not only does OCFA and Metro Net control what talk-groups are provided they can pull the plug at anytime for any reason. The entire county, including all the cities comprise 90 fire talk groups. There are 22 being streamed. So we are missing 68, like 4A (JW Airport) and 5A (Air Ops) along with many others. I only have the computer and network capability to listen to six channels at any one time.

The only good thing about streaming is the console audio which is better quality than the P25 audio produced by a scanner.