Orange County CCCS P25 Update

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
I think the lifeguards are still open but who cares about public works and lifeguards. Its like listening to the dead at the cemetary

Yes, I know it's boring..... Every month I RV at Huntington Beach, The Lifeguard & State Police scanner traffic get busy with all The Beach Goer's going wild. Just wondering if I was going to loose that to. Time well tell.... keep moving forward . Thanks for Keeping us updated

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
Not gonna happen. Pretty sure Red will be gone too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
They kept The Red Channel open for years..... for a Reason , don't know exactly why , seems they would still keep it open ?...... Kinda nice knowing that you have a 100 MPH Pursuit coming up to your front door.

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
I honestly believe that all of public safety over a period of time in SoCal basin will be encrypted. This is the long term goal. For whatever reason this basin I guess is a HOT bed for crime as well as stringers following public safety around and paranoia from LE and Fire Chiefs.

When fire departments start to encrypt then it becomes bloat and over load in my opinion. You see minimal amounts of encrypts nationwide and NorCal compared to the past 3 to 5 years here in SoCal for whatever reasons. But o well. Its just a matter of time until everybody will not be able to talk to anybody else because of government abuse with these new TRS systems and being mis guided.

Can't wait until something major happens due to this abuse of locking everything down. Just grab some popcorn and watch what happens.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Additional frequencies added to the Db for the South cell. Site now has 16 frequencies.

hbscanner1

I don't spend hours a day listening to scanner comms, but when I went onto the Sentinel database, updated OC frequencies, and esp updated the CCCS P 25 frequencies, I entered the frequencies for Countywide(has only 3 frequencies there) while locking out the other sites in OF(like Loma RIdge, North, etc), and entered some ID's, like red channel, and it has been quiet> noted that we are dealing with encryption here, but I did enter the SW cell sites on the P 25 system and did hear the HB lifeguards and OCC communicating with HB hospital RE a medic call. Not expecting a heck of a lot, is what I did for the countywide cell, just allowing those 3 frequencies for the various ID's(not expecting much if anything, to monitor), correct? the same process for SW cell, locking out all other cell sites, did work. Oh well, if all quiet on scanning, would give me more quiet time to do my computer work for work and leisure reading!!! thanks in advance for any comments!!!

Markb

Premium Subscriber
AFAIK, the Countywide cell has not cut over yet. You won't hear much until that happens.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

allend

Premium Subscriber
I guess time will tell even when the cutover happens if there will be anything left to listen to anyways. :mad:

allend

Premium Subscriber
Just confirmed again that all of FIRE and EMS will be a 100 percent encrypted across the board on all of The Counties cell divisions.

Done deal. Nothing will be left open.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Radio Comms Department for The County of Orange. All of the zones on all of their new APX radios on the Fire side have the encrypted icon enabled on all zones. Also, since the South Cell was cut-over to the new P25 sites Costa Mesa Fire and Laguna Fire are all encrypted.

There you go.

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
After listening to P25 Type II audio I can honestly say that I prefer the Type I digital audio. Type II seems to lack dynamic range compared to P25 Type I. Probably due to additional compression. One other problem is the decode threshold seems to be more critical. I never messed with the P25 Mode Threshold setting on the old Type I system, just left it in AUTO and it worked fine. Have run the P25 Optimization several times on both the North and South cells and receive zero errors but the indicated threshold level varies by several points.

Of course neither Type I or Type II digital audio will ever match good old analog FM. However the future is digital and analog will be joining the dinosaurs and all other things that no longer exist.

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
Some of the Countywide Cell work has already started. The plan calls for the conversion to be done in two parts. Looking at the P25 Life Extension Plan it appears they are about 2-1/2 months behind the original schedule. The entire project was scheduled for completion by July 1, 2019. The Countywide cell is more difficult because there is no where to move the traffic to. During the transition of the other cells, traffic was moved to the Countywide cell and it proved to be a good "stress test" for the cell. I don't think there is any real hurry to complete all the work by a specific date, more important is to get in done right.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know the status on the Laguna, Silverado, or Moorhead sites? They still pop up on Smartzone as peer sites, but with different freqs that aren’t licensed to OC.

gabrielm

Premium Subscriber
THE CUTOVER JUST HAPPENED. all calls on all OCFA frequencies and all MetroNet freqs advising all units in the county to switch to encrypted frequencies. As of 0803hrs. OC scanning is officially dead. [emoji3064][emoji3064][emoji3064]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk