Orange County CCCS P25 Update

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
On the old smartzone system, I would ID Search, the Encrypted
TG's would be obvious...... but many (non Encrypted TG's) would come in loud and clear.

On this new P25 system.... (all TG's) are Encrypted......?

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
I have logged some some unencrypted talk groups on the new system:

DSP-DSP
Tan-Call
Tan North
Tan South
Red (Surprised at this one!)
Animal Control
Transit 1
Brown North
Anaheim Silvers including the Park Rangers

It appears to me that Fire and EMS related talk groups are the only ones newly encrypted at this point.

allend

Premium Subscriber
The County of Orange did no favors on leaving any of these straggling talkgroups open. I guess when the county gets over run by dogs and cats running the streets then we can monitor Animal Control for directions on what to do next.

mdfillipp

Database Admin
You guys! The feed on PulsePoint for OCFA is still working! I think it’s an official feed from OCFA... I just heard a dispatch for a call on one of the “zone 25” frequencies. So unless they’re still simulcasting on non-encrypted frequencies, it might still be available on streaming!

'you still hearin' it, Gabe ?

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
I have logged some some unencrypted talk groups on the new system:

DSP-DSP
Tan-Call
Tan North
Tan South
Red (Surprised at this one!)
Animal Control
Transit 1
Brown North
Anaheim Silvers including the Park Rangers

It appears to me that Fire and EMS related talk groups are the only ones newly encrypted at this point.

HOC-HOC also clear.

gabrielm

Premium Subscriber
'you still hearin' it, Gabe ?

Yes. It sounds like it’s the dispatch channels for OCFA, but none of the tacs. Every call they tone out is on the encrypted TGs... the end of every dispatch is always something like “...on 4-kilo, zone 22...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabrielm

Premium Subscriber
One other thing that the Metro Net person told me is that the initial install included encryption on all talkgroups but that “this may be changed in the future if the fire chiefs agree.”

I may be naive (see comments from allend above [emoji6]), but even I don’t believe that they’d ever UN-encrypt any of the talkgroups, no matter how the fire chiefs may feel. The best hope I have is that either someone on the inside agrees to stream selected talkgroups (better than nothing) or that maybe the families of firefighters who used to monitor make such a HUGE stink that they decide to re-open something. Both slim possibilities, but I prefer to live in hope rather than wallow in certain misery (*wink wink* Allend).

Markb

Premium Subscriber
They are assigning the trunked alternates for each division. It appears that once the cut over and testing is complete, everyone will go back to their usual TG's on the new system. 4J and 4K are on the Northwest Cell.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gabrielm

Premium Subscriber
They are assigning the trunked alternates for each division. It appears that once the cut over and testing is complete, everyone will go back to their usual TG's on the new system. 4J and 4K are on the Northwest Cell.

That must also be why Metro stopped using that robo-voice for their dispatches. I’m sure it doesn’t allow for flexibility as far as assigning alternate tacs. I guess robots haven’t gotten that far yet. [emoji880]

Markb

Premium Subscriber
That must also be why Metro stopped using that robo-voice for their dispatches. I’m sure it doesn’t allow for flexibility as far as assigning alternate tacs. I guess robots haven’t gotten that far yet. [emoji880]

IDK, I am pretty sure it just repeats what is pushed through CAD, so it wouldn't be a stretch for them to include every TG name in the system up front. It seems it would be much more difficult to keep her from butchering the street names. I imagine it could be offline for a number of reasons.

...I wonder what a robot voice sounds like in digital?[emoji16]

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
IDK, I am pretty sure it just repeats what is pushed through CAD, so it wouldn't be a stretch for them to include every TG name in the system up front. It seems it would be much more difficult to keep her from butchering the street names. I imagine it could be offline for a number of reasons.

...I wonder what a robot voice sounds like in digital?[emoji16]

ICI Talkgroup 3161 can answer that last question for you, if in range ;)
(Torrance FD Dispatch)

allend

Premium Subscriber
One other thing that the Metro Net person told me is that the initial install included encryption on all talkgroups but that “this may be changed in the future if the fire chiefs agree.”

I may be naive (see comments from allend above [emoji6]), but even I don’t believe that they’d ever UN-encrypt any of the talkgroups, no matter how the fire chiefs may feel. The best hope I have is that either someone on the inside agrees to stream selected talkgroups (better than nothing) or that maybe the families of firefighters who used to monitor make such a HUGE stink that they decide to re-open something. Both slim possibilities, but I prefer to live in hope rather than wallow in certain misery (*wink wink* Allend).

The way Fire Chiefs make reason is if #1 The Safety of their personnel. If the system is reliable and the bugs are worked out and the system functions properly with no safety concerns for their personnel then this subject about turning back the clock is MUTE.

As to the the talkgroups that are open on new system this is a complete JOKE. If The County took away the fire departments they should of taken everything. This is how many marbles are upstairs. Lets give you monkeys the public works, animal control and sheriffs transit. Please save us our dignity. I have a feeling once more upgrades happen and OTAP and OTAR are put into play then the rest of these talkgroups will go dark. It might take a couple of years but it will happen.

Once these old systems went dark I deleted these TRS systems and never looked forward to anything related to this NextGen upgrade. Means nothing to anybody anymore. I at least respect what Riverside Co did and didn't leave any cracks in the door open.

MEDIC135

Premium Subscriber
The way Fire Chiefs make reason is if #1 The Safety of their personnel. If the system is reliable and the bugs are worked out and the system functions properly with no safety concerns for their personnel then this subject about turning back the clock is MUTE.

As to the the talkgroups that are open on new system this is a complete JOKE. If The County took away the fire departments they should of taken everything. This is how many marbles are upstairs. Lets give you monkeys the public works, animal control and sheriffs transit. Please save us our dignity. I have a feeling once more upgrades happen and OTAP and OTAR are put into play then the rest of these talkgroups will go dark. It might take a couple of years but it will happen.

Once these old systems went dark I deleted these TRS systems and never looked forward to anything related to this NextGen upgrade. Means nothing to anybody anymore. I at least respect what Riverside Co did and didn't leave any cracks in the door open.
I’m sorry but your negativity is completely unnecessary. I agree with you that it’s upsetting they’ve encrypted FD but don’t start cutting down everyone else that’s attempting to stay positive. At least people are trying to look for the good in the crappy situation.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I’m sorry but your negativity is completely unnecessary. I agree with you that it’s upsetting they’ve encrypted FD but don’t start cutting down everyone else that’s attempting to stay positive. At least people are trying to look for the good in the crappy situation.

Since you are chimming in and trolling "what is there to stay positive about"? Also, there is no negativity involved here. The facts are the facts and there is no denying what has happened and everybody has the right to to spread their opinion as long as there are no personal attacks with anybody here on the forum. Also, I am not cutting anybody down here. So your comments have no valid points here.

MEDIC135

Premium Subscriber
Since you are chimming in and trolling "what is there to stay positive about"? Also, there is no negativity involved here. The facts are the facts and there is no denying what has happened and everybody has the right to to spread their opinion as long as there are no personal attacks with anybody here on the forum. Also, I am not cutting anybody down here. So your comments have no valid points here.
All I’m saying is maybe keep the negative comments about encryption to yourself before this thread gets locked down. Other people can still utilize this thread to post about talkgroups that are still in the clear. And per the new guidelines your posts would be considered negative regarding encryption and they are definitely unwanted. If you would like to continue this conversation you can direct message me. I will say no more on this thread unless it pertains to the discussion of this system, it’s cell sites and all talkgroups that are still open.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Why did you come to this thread and troll when you have made no contribution in regards to this upgrade and thread?

You showed up to this thread and made assumptions that I have made negative comments about encryption when this is a complete lie. Remember that trolling is a violation of this forum. I created this thread since I had information from the beginning about everything that was going to happen. Also, making a comment about respecting another county like Riverside is not a negative comment.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
All I’m saying is maybe keep the negative comments about encryption to yourself before this thread gets locked down.

Making negative comments about encryption is not against the site's rules therefore we would have no reason to lock it.