Orange County CCCS P25 Update

Eng74

The best place to get the SOLAR plan is from either the the Com Guide App that is SBCoFD radio plan or the TMAC app, the LACoFD radio plan. It is listed on both.

LA-OC_SCANNER

Looks like the SOLAR plan was updated in 2018, but I can find anything on the South OC PROS plan. I read where they use SOLAR as primary and assign South OC Freqs as needed. I can't find the plans in the radio reference database. Could you provide where they located?

Attached is the current PROS comm plan. Ch16 is air guard.
1620407498457.png

shinkley

Listen More
Thanks!
Just updated. Hopefully will never need to listen.
Guessing PROS is Public Safety, Riverside, OC, San Diego?

gabrielm

Premium Subscriber
I tweeted at Daniel Langhorne, the LA Times reporter who did the original story in 2019 about the “60-day project to decrypt OC fire radios” (which at the time was at 90 days). I let him know that we’re now at two years with nothing but streaming audio, which is insufficient to really monitor brush fires, as we enter peak season. He replied and suggested that he likes the idea of a follow-up story, as it would be good timing as fire conditions heat up. Fingers crossed we’ll get some more publicity around this. I encourage others to reach out to local media, as this is a good time to increase pressure, FWIW. No grand visions of a sudden breakthrough, but it can’t hurt.

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
I tweeted at Daniel Langhorne, the LA Times reporter who did the original story in 2019 about the “60-day project to decrypt OC fire radios” (which at the time was at 90 days). I let him know that we’re now at two years with nothing but streaming audio, which is insufficient to really monitor brush fires, as we enter peak season. He replied and suggested that he likes the idea of a follow-up story, as it would be good timing as fire conditions heat up. Fingers crossed we’ll get some more publicity around this. I encourage others to reach out to local media, as this is a good time to increase pressure, FWIW. No grand visions of a sudden breakthrough, but it can’t hurt.
Thanks !! That was a great idea! I know of another media outlet I can pass this on to.

John B

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Well, they don't run vegetation responses on encrypted takgroups, so that's kind of a moot point. I'm not opposed to decryption, but to use wildland fires as a reason doesn't fly.

Small Vegetation fires they might run on 4F or 5F but if they are of any good size they are on VHF channels, unencrypted. Getting the news media involved, I just don't see how that will help. Once the departments secure funding then it's on to scheduling the labor to do the reprogramming. And if you haven't notice bureaucrats don't work fast unless it is to give themselves a raise.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Now on another note, Today I was using my BCD996P2 to listen into a few of the unencrypted talkgroups, public works, lifeguards, ect. and it wasn't picking anything up on those channels like it normally has in the past. My SDS100 was picking up everything that I wanted to hear. About 13:00 the south area sites went live with all kinds of traffic then at 15:30 it died again. Nothing wrong with my radio as I was testing it on other P25 systems as well as LAPD and LAco fire. I even double checked I had all the correct control channels in scan and not locked out. They weren't. Five different sites with no activity, simulcast maybe? Thinking that besides reprogramming fire might be doing some other tweaks to the system?
If anyone else anyone else has Ideas on whats happening I would like to hear from you.
Thanks Randy

Eng74

There might not be a radio using the site so it doesn’t get anything. I have the same problem with 5he one site I get for SBCoFD P25 system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
There might not be a radio using the site so it doesn’t get anything. I have the same problem with 5he one site I get for SBCoFD P25 system.
But the SDS100 was receiving as he states. Wx can do some weird stuff with propagation, and the 996P2 does not do well with simulcast systems in general. Perhaps there was work going on with subsites.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Orange County is not a simulcast system(?) and I can guarantee there is always radios on the various sites. Weather? I don't think so. It was weird that for that short time someone threw a switch and let the south site go active then silent again. Could have been radio maintenance going on. Something for us to watch.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Orange County is not a simulcast system(?) and I can guarantee there is always radios on the various sites. Weather? I don't think so. It was weird that for that short time someone threw a switch and let the south site go active then silent again. Could have been radio maintenance going on. Something for us to watch.
You should reread my comment; I'm saying it is a simulcast system - but it also has a number of ASRs to cover the canyons from what I remember from the bids. Wx can and does affect signalling, but then again you guys don't have wx like we do in the east, lol. The key is that you stated that the SDS worked and the 996P2 did not. Assuming they are programmed correctly, that is a prime indication that you are suffering from simulcast issues. Note that e v e r y public safety system in our area is simulcast, and 996p2 are a waste of money here (unless you are lucky and are monitoring from the exact right spot.)

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to this system (996P2) for almost two years now on the unencrypted TG's with no problems. Whatever is happening is new. The OC system was not a simulcast system, but it looks as if it has gone that way now. I would like confirmation from some local listeners that it has in fact now gone simulcast.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to this system (996P2) for almost two years now on the unencrypted TG's with no problems. Whatever is happening is new. The OC system was not a simulcast system, but it looks as if it has gone that way now. I would like confirmation from some local listeners that it has in fact now gone simulcast.
IDK, maybe you have been listening to a multicast site or they reoriented an antenna, but the RRDB shows the OC CCCS having six simulcast cells, and several ASRs. The Motorola proposal to upgrade the system also notes the existence of simulcast cells as part of the system. But you are there, and I am not.
Moto OC CCCS.png.

Last edited:

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber

Good idea. You inspired me to send Daniel a message to do a follow-up article.

shinkley

Listen More
Hats Off to OCFA for proactively testing the VHF Wildfire PROS channels today!. Most times one agency or another (including CHP) has radio coordination issues on and off the Ortega Highway. Glad to hear at least Riverside and OC are working together to resolve comms issues prior to dealing with it during a incident.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Down here in San Diego County, the various agencies will from time to time move their normal ops to VHF channels for a week just to make sure that things are working. It's always a cluster as no one can eveer hit the repeaters.

Paul

trunkh8er

If I'm not too far from John Wayne Airport & wanted to monitor its open channels on the CCCS with a PRO-197, is "North" site good enough or do I need "Countywide"? Also, what are settings for band plan and trunking table? In a fixed setting, can I leave multisite mode "off" or adjust it? The radio is seeing a trunked system & control channel, but is apparently having trouble interpreting it.