Orange County CORNet P25 System

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
GTR, as you are likely aware, both Harriman PD (04-115 / 605) and Cornwall-on-Hudson PD (04-152 / 634) have their own talkgroups on NYComCo's EDACS. While I can't speak for Cornwall-on-Hudson, Harriman uses theirs quite regularly. I'm finding it hard to believe, though not impossible, that they would take a step backward and not be granted the ability to talk amongst themselves without disturbing their dispatching agency on their Tac talkgroup. Thinking aloud here, I suppose, if that does happen, each could switch back to their respective VHF-high band local government channels for car-to-car traffic (151.1000, 162.2 for Harriman and 154.9650, 136.5 for C-on-H). I suppose we'll have to wait and see what happens after each department finally transitions off EDACS onto CoRNet, along with so many of the other remaining east side PDs.
Wonder aloud and speculate all you like, it doesn't change the fact that there are no dedicated talkgroups on CORNet equivalent to anything on EDACS for those three agencies. That's not to say that things can't change in the future, but currently those equivalent talkgroups simply do not exist.

xchief21

I'm in the City of Newburgh area. Listening to the police seems that I'm only hearing half of the conversation. Anyone know if I might have a setting wrong? I have the delay set at 5 seconds.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm in the City of Newburgh area. Listening to the police seems that I'm only hearing half of the conversation. Anyone know if I might have a setting wrong? I have the delay set at 5 seconds.
No issues with City of Newburgh PD's talkgroup that I can detect. You haven't given us enough info to even begin to suggest what the issue might be, namely what you're listening to them with.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a question about programming this system. The database shows 8 channels for North Simulcast. When I download the system into ARC536 PRO, it only imports the last four channels.
South Simulcast database shows 7 channels, but only downloads the last four.
Am I missing something? Should I program the system like that?
In the Import window of ARC536 under the Trunk Options tab, you can check the box to download all of the frequencies. As stated earlier, you only need the control channel and alternates.

Check that the scan delay is not set to a negative value (-5 seconds).

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
In the Import window of ARC536 under the Trunk Options tab, you can check the box to download all of the frequencies. As stated earlier, you only need the control channel and alternates.
Sorry, but what is the point of digging up and commenting on a post over 2 months after it has clearly been addressed? You've provided no additional info of value to his specific question.

xchief21

No issues with City of Newburgh PD's talkgroup that I can detect. You haven't given us enough info to even begin to suggest what the issue might be, namely what you're listening to them with.
Uniden SDS100. just seems to not all of the conversation at times. it might be me

xchief21

Check that the scan delay is not set to a negative value (-5 seconds).
its set at 5 seconds

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Uniden SDS100. just seems to not all of the conversation at times. it might be me
Well, that pretty much rules out a simulcast issue, as the SDS100 should be receiving the system solidly. Are you experiencing issues with other talkgroups, or does everything else seem like normal flow of conversation?

RadioComm

Premium Subscriber
I've had no issues with my SDS 100/200 receiving any TG's. Can you try the channel hold and tell us what you hear?

I suspect that the scanner is continuing to scan each TG you have programmed in and you are just missing it due to timing.

xchief21

Well, that pretty much rules out a simulcast issue, as the SDS100 should be receiving the system solidly. Are you experiencing issues with other talkgroups, or does everything else seem like normal flow of conversation?
Everything else seems to be OK. Have the same problem on 2 different scanners (both SDS100) that's why I thought it was something I was doing wrong. I don't what to listen to all the PD in the county. Is it best to avoid everything except the PD I want to listen to? OR Is it OK to create 4 different Favorites Lists for each PD and turn them ON/OFF when I want to?
Thanks for everyone's help.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Create different favorite lists. Then turn them on and off. I kind of do the same with my Unication split between East, South and West. In each of those I’ll also throw in Priority, SP and the SO since they are countywide per se. Then others are Fire/EMS, just Fire, just EMS, etc. To be honest I mostly leave it on Fire only but the quick key (or for me a knob turn) will bring it the other talkgroups if something is going on.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Everything else seems to be OK. Have the same problem on 2 different scanners (both SDS100) that's why I thought it was something I was doing wrong. I don't what to listen to all the PD in the county. Is it best to avoid everything except the PD I want to listen to? OR Is it OK to create 4 different Favorites Lists for each PD and turn them ON/OFF when I want to?
Thanks for everyone's help.
Are you scanning both the North and South cells (sites), by any chance? If yes, that could explain the gap in the audio, as the scanner is alternating between cells, and you're missing transmissions while the scanner does so.

Figure out which cell is strongest in your location (probably South), and scan only that site. This will ensure the scanner dwells on only one site, and will drastically reduce the amount of missed activity.

Full credit to @k2hz for the suggestion that this could be the issue (mentioned to me in an email), as it didn't even occur to me to ask that basic question! :sleep:

xchief21

Create different favorite lists. Then turn them on and off. I kind of do the same with my Unication split between East, South and West. In each of those I’ll also throw in Priority, SP and the SO since they are countywide per se. Then others are Fire/EMS, just Fire, just EMS, etc. To be honest I mostly leave it on Fire only but the quick key (or for me a knob turn) will bring it the other talkgroups if something is going on.
Thanks

xchief21

Are you scanning both the North and South cells (sites), by any chance? If yes, that could explain the gap in the audio, as the scanner is alternating between cells, and you're missing transmissions while the scanner does so.

Figure out which cell is strongest in your location (probably South), and scan only that site. This will ensure the scanner dwells on only one site, and will drastically reduce the amount of missed activity.

Full credit to @k2hz for the suggestion that this could be the issue (mentioned to me in an email), as it didn't even occur to me to ask that basic question! :sleep:
thanks Ill try that

richardrosa

Is there any possibility that the site identifiers in the database are swapped? I live in Marlboro (just north of the Orange County line) and I'm picking up the 'south' system like gang-busters. No signal at all from any of the 'north' frequencies. Seems a bit strange...

Thanx.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is there any possibility that the site identifiers in the database are swapped? I live in Marlboro (just north of the Orange County line) and I'm picking up the 'south' system like gang-busters. No signal at all from any of the 'north' frequencies. Seems a bit strange...

Thanx.
The sites are correct.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
As a quick follow up GTR8000, do the North & South Simulcast the same transmissions? I am in Montgomery and pick up both full scale. I also scan both.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge of this system!
Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As a quick follow up GTR8000, do the North & South Simulcast the same transmissions?
Yes...no...maybe so!

The system needs to see a radio affiliated with a particular talkgroup on a particular cell before the transmissions for that talkgroup will be carried on that cell. So, what does that mean in the real world? Simply put, most of the wide-area talkgroups are going to be active on both cells, however some may not be, or activity may be sporadic as radios roam between cells based on varying signal strength.

Highland Falls PD and Monroe PD, for example, have only popped up on the North cell a handful of times. On the flip side, LE Response West is always active on the North cell, but only active on the South cell about a third of the time. The same is going to be true for any of the "localized" talkgroups, including the FD Divisions and EMS Districts.

And by the way, this also affects the subscribers on the system when it comes to scanning. For example, if no OCSO radios are affiliated with their Tac talkgroup on the South cell, then that talkgroup won't be carried on that cell. That means that even if they are scanning the Tac talkgroup, any OCSO mobiles/portables that are operating on the South cell aren't going to receive any transmissions on that talkgroup. By nature, the system is designed to conserve channel resources by default, and so it deems it unnecessary to carry transmissions on sites that have no one affiliated with a particular talkgroup. That behavior can be changed on a per-talkgroup basis, whereby the system admin can "force" a talkgroup to be active at a site regardless of subscriber affiliations (or lack thereof).