Orange County Discusses New Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
----------------
Excuse me, but the Orange Co. "deciders" not so many years ago, chose DMR (MOTOTRBO) as the emission mode of choice which would solve their comm needs plus afford privacy from those "pesky" scanner monitors. It was their "end of the rainbow" radio system. If I were an Orange Co. tax paying resident I would make sure they heard my opinion loud and clear which would be "Tango Sierra"--you spent millions of our taxpayer dollars on a radio system which now doesn't have this or that or whatever. That's just too d----ed bad. We bought it for you and now you can live with it until we the taxpayers decide otherwise.

APCO P25 Phase 1 trs existed at that time. The "deciders" chose a different radio system emission mode for whatever reasons. "Buyers Remorse" is not a valid reason for another multi-million dollar expenditure for a radio system with more bells and whistles. Live with your interoperability issues. You should have considered that subject years ago and if so decided it was not a "game changer".

John
W4UVV

So good or bad if that was the case PD was the only people to do this. I suspect the only reason they went this way is the radio vendor of the area doesn't know any different and the idea of cheap digital seems to be the fix for a vendor that doesn't really engineer a system. Fire still deals with lack of coverage and multiple repeaters and now cannot Interop with Law unless the have a vehicle on scene with a TRBO Radio.

With that said I am of the mindset if you can make a small system work do so. a well designed conventional (P25 or Analog) system will work well for both agencies. Many counties have worked for years with 1 dispatch channel for Fire/EMS and LAW then. On Scene communications can be simplex. Yes P25 trunking is nice, but putting a well designed analog system in for FIRE/EMS and a P25 system for Law is a good economical way to do this. Trunking is fine for counties or towns/city's with thousands of users but in rural area's I don't understand the need.

The issue is getting a vendor that understands that concept and administrators that understand what they need or dont need.

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
Fire can communicate with law enforcement. It just take a little coordination with dispatch to set that up. Law enforcement has fire in their radios. Orange SD is only trbo on their channels. Orange is not the only county that has issues with good plan to have interoperation between agencies. Trbo was never a good answer for public safety. P25 would have been a much better option but it cost money.

QDP2012

It might not add more info than is available in the previous posts' links, but here is a snippet from a related news article...
"Engineering is underway for the county’s new $8.1 million emergency radio system which will include six tower sites and serve more than 600 users, providing the county with more reliable radio coverage for public safety agencies.

In June, the Orange County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to execute a contract with Harris Corporation for a Project 25 (P25) radio system, needed to bring the county up to modern emergency communication standards....

...The new system will be a five channel, 700 megahertz system that will be unified, allowing public safety personnel in the field to talk directly to each other. As part of the county’s contract with Harris, the county will receive 346 portable radios and 256 mobile (in-vehicle) radios...."

---Daily Progress, 08/17/2018: County updating outdated 911 system

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Orange TRBO

I think the sheriff in a round about way admitted they made a mistake on the TRBO system. He's a good dude and I hope they are able to all work something out that benefits everyone this time. It's also good to see that Ms Tidey and Mr Harkness are being proactive in planning a solution instead of putting band-aids on things. Mr Crozier is also good folk and I was glad to see him elected.

It makes sense to go to P25 with Albemarle, Culpeper, and soon Spotsylvania using a P25 system. That's where a lot of your mutual aid comes from / goes to along with Louisa. If Orange and Louisa could work something out to reduce the cost of the initial system it'd be good for both counties. Maybe even Greene and Madison could pair up and jump on board in the future.

Yes traveling through Orange today. The DMR system audio is terrible. Dispatchers having to ask officers to repeat traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.