Orange County, Florida Motorola 1F36 Type II SmartZone Rebanding Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

trunktracking

Here in Orange County, Florida I monitor the MOTOROLA 1F36 Type II, 28 Channel SmartZone Trunking System.

The system was placed into service in 1993 and is getting ready to obtain a $20.7M upgrade to P25.

Since the County started their rebanding or should I say "refarming" project a few months ago, some of my radio scanners (which are rebanded, programmed correctly and contain the latest firmware version) are missing some transmissions.

When I use my Uniden HomePatrol, almost every conversation is heard, though when I use either my Uniden BC396/996/XT Series, I miss certain transmissions. Others scanner enthusiasts and the news media have shared the same findings.

Backgound:

The County has already touched their radio's once with the new rebanded frequencies and is getting ready to touch them a second time to remove the old information (this per the Trunked System Manager).

Question:

If a trunked scanner is rebanded and programmed directly, what could cause a scanner to miss transmissions? (Given A Trunked System's Architecture)

In other words, what could cause my HomePatrol to hear almost everything and a 1 year old rebanded scanner to miss certain transmissions?

I have tried all of the Custom Band Plans offered (after reading all of the RR links and suggestions) and none of them seem to work. Actually, any of the custom band plans make the system sound garbly. Therefore I used the 800/900 Standard BandPlan.

I have used Butel's ARC XT Virtual Control PRO and have found (2) frequencies that the 1F36 system utilizes, that are NOT on RadioReference.

851.6875 Mhz.
858.1875 Mhz.

A MOTOROLA Type II SmartZone system is only capable of 28 channels and that is what is listed on the RR 1F36 Database, the question is what (2) channels shown on the database are they NOT using?

The County has decided to transition their Sheriff's Office to full-time encryption, on every talk group, in 12 months when they go to P25 (according to the County Radio Programming Manager) and likewise he as the programming manager will not share any scanner reprogramming information.

I am starting to wonder if this not an attempt to keep people from listening 'accurately' to the Orange County, Florida 1F36 trunked radio system.

Best Regards,

Joe, WX4ADX
DSRS Net Founder
D-STAR Radio Scanning Net
Radio Reference Feed Provider:
Orange County, Florida Sheriff's Office, Admin. 1

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
It's been almost a month since rebanding and this is the first I heard of this. It's good to keep out unauthorized radio from accessing the system.

You guys in Orlando need to figure the custom bandplan table information and update the database!

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
I compared several screen prints of the latest Unitrunker frequency/channel number assignments and the reshuffled band plan is not in use at this time. The frequencies and channel numbers correspond perfectly with the normal rebanded table.

kayleesdad

anyone receiving control channel 769.7687 around Orlando today? probably has a 5 added to the end as i was using a uniden scanner, and used 771.64375 and 771.96875 as voice channels. can't make sense of it, must have programmed something wrong. only had a few minutes to review it while driving west of Orlando on I-4, didn't hear any coms. used unitrunker briefly. 0001h-0108.

PATnKIM

System seems to have disappeared.

About mid morning today the Orange County radio system has gone silent. Is anyone else still hearing it? It's not my scanner, I still hear Seminole.
Thanks
Pat
Apopka

Status
Not open for further replies.