Orange County NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
I just got a new 2 way radio for my second job and I was wondering if anyone knows the Khz steps for Orange County EMS and FD so I can program the radio for work?? Also any other agencies in the county with the same info or where I can find that info would be great. I am only using this radio for work. Thank you.

auxscan

you aint gonna get answer here. for one how do we know that your authorized to transmit on these frequencies. if you job requires you to have a radio that means your job must have connections to a radio shop who will determine if he will program these frequencies. I understand if your just trying to scan them or know whats going around you but transmiting is a big no no. just follow the rules. program the RX side of the frequency and leave the TX blank or disabled.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
I am authorized. There is a shortage of radios at my job and I am NOT some yahoo. I have been working in EMS for 27 1/2 years. OK, NO problem. No one wants to help thats ok,I will remember this when someone wants my help with something!!!!!!!

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
You can go to East Coast Scanning Resources • Index page for all your Orange County needs.

I don't know how you are going to program FD and EMS in the same radio for Orange County. EMS uses VHF, while FD uses a combination of low-band, VHF, UHF and 800.

What agency do you work for? It helps me so I can figure out what you will need. Also, what kind of radio do you have? I have software for Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, Vertex, etc. If you are in fact authorized and I can confirm who you are and where you work, I'd be more than happy to assist you. PM me if you'd like.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
EMS in Orange county uses VHF and FD now uses VHF to page and UHF for all other radio transmissions. The VHF low is no longer used here. I have a Yaesu dual band and have all the info except the Khz. I also have the software to program it.

D

DaveNF2G

Yaesu is the amateur radio division of Vertex Standard. If you have a Yaesu dual-band rig, then it is not certified for use on public safety channels.

The only commercial dual-band equipment I see from Vertex is the VX-820 and 920 portables, and the VX-4100 and VX-4200 mobiles. Which one of these do you have?

BTW, Vertex also makes a commercial tri-bander (VHF Low, VHF High, UHF) VX-5500.

radiomanNJ1

So what is your second job got to do with having a dual band ham radio?
Ham radios are not type accepted for commercial use so I doubt that a "company" gave you this radio for work.

If you know so much about the freqs. why is it that you don't know anything about narrow and wide banding?

We get these people every once in a while with the same question.

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
go to your 'work' radio guy and ask him to ask the FD/EMS radio shop what you need
why ask on a hobby thread?
and we wonder why the PD or FD Chiefs want to go encryption on top of digital
and how many times do we hear of someone tx on a PD or FD freq's which cause our hobby bad name

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
*yawn* Why even bother. :roll:

Last edited:

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
OK,Obviously most of you do NOT know what you are talking about here in Orange Counties system. The FD does NOT use the low band VHF anymore,it is for backup only!!!!!! #2,Yaesu makes the FT-60 which does work on public safety frequencies if you know what you are doing!!!!!!! #3 I thought I was dealing wirh PROFESSIONALS here NOT a bunch of CHILDREN who do NOT work in the field of emergency services!!!!!! I have been involved in EMS up here in Orange County and NYC for the past 27 years between paid and volunteer and I know what I can and can't do when it comes to using a radio!!!!!! I am a grown man so stop talking down to me like I am a child. All I asked was a simple question to help me with a minor issue on programming,but none of you seem to want to help. I have been getting my radio information from this site for quite some time and I though most of you were professionals,but I guess I was WRONG!!!!!!!! Get off your soapboxes and get a life!!!!!!!!! I wont ask for help here anymore,nor will I help anyone when they have a problem either,and i could be VERY helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
And Chauffeur,maybe you should learn of what you speak!!!!! I know very well how the system up here works!!!!! The reason I dont post here is because it seems everything here becomes a debate among CHILDREN!!!!!!! Maybe you should not be so self rightous and learn something about people you try to put down or try to insult their intelligence!!!!!!!! Your responses are exactly why I don't like to post anything on here!!!!!! By the way,if you knew me you would know I have a lot to offer to anyone about the system here in Orange County as well as NYC and others. I look,learn and listen and can be very helpful,but instead of friends you seem to make enemies,so that said,enjoy your meaningless existense!!!!!!! Oh,by the way SCANXO, I DO NOT SCREW AROUND ON THE RADIO!!!!!! It is a lifeline here in the field of emergency services and I agree with you that people who do crap like that should be locked up. I am very professional in what I do and dont endanger anyone on the radio or at a scene!!!!!!!!! When someone I am with wants to screw around on the radio I don't let them,because god forbid I needed help and couldn't get thru on the radio I would be very pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a radio in the past when I lived in NYC for volunteer and work, so I know how serious it is!!!!!!!!!!! All I asked for was some help,whatever,I'm done here!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you guys should have gotten to know me before you berate me,cause you might have had a good friend and someone who could give you info you might need someday,your loss,not mine!!!!!!!! At least someone here was willing to help and he knows who he is.

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu makes the FT-60 which does work on public safety frequencies if you know what you are doing!!!!!!!

The FT-60 may "work" on public safety frequencies, but only through modification. The radio does not have FCC type acceptance for Part 90 frequencies, therefore transmit operation on those frequencies would be out of type acceptance and is illegal.

And that's a statement of fact, not an opinion. If your work gave you this radio to use, they should take it back and give you a legal Part 90 type accepted radio. They and you could get in a lot of trouble (big fines) with the FCC.

Also, just being employeed by a licensee does not authorize you to use their frequencies. They are responsible for the users of their system and the total number of units on the system (per the license) and therefore most provide for specific policies related to the use of the license by non-agency radios.

MOD: Can you take care of this thread?

Last edited:

Mobile

And Chauffeur,maybe you should learn of what you speak!!!!! I know very well how the system up here works!!!!! The reason I dont post here is because it seems everything here becomes a debate among CHILDREN!!!!!!! Maybe you should not be so self rightous and learn something about people you try to put down or try to insult their intelligence!!!!!!!! Your responses are exactly why I don't like to post anything on here!!!!!! By the way,if you knew me you would know I have a lot to offer to anyone about the system here in Orange County as well as NYC and others. I look,learn and listen and can be very helpful,but instead of friends you seem to make enemies,so that said,enjoy your meaningless existense!!!!!!! Oh,by the way SCANXO, I DO NOT SCREW AROUND ON THE RADIO!!!!!! It is a lifeline here in the field of emergency services and I agree with you that people who do crap like that should be locked up. I am very professional in what I do and dont endanger anyone on the radio or at a scene!!!!!!!!! When someone I am with wants to screw around on the radio I don't let them,because god forbid I needed help and couldn't get thru on the radio I would be very pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a radio in the past when I lived in NYC for volunteer and work, so I know how serious it is!!!!!!!!!!! All I asked for was some help,whatever,I'm done here!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you guys should have gotten to know me before you berate me,cause you might have had a good friend and someone who could give you info you might need someday,your loss,not mine!!!!!!!! At least someone here was willing to help and he knows who he is.

wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Mike4164.

1. You obviously don't know how "very well the system works" in Orange County if you have to come on here and ask about the steps on the county freqs.

2. You don't get help by YELLING at people. You don't sound like you've been in the field for 27 years, you sound like a new kid who just bought a radio off ebay. Recently a radio menace (who has very active on this board) was caught & jailed in Suffolk County, so you can understand our concern. He did more damage than I care to get into, he's just lucky nobody was killed. It's also post 9-11.

3. If you are authorized to transmit on OC freqs, I'm sure whatever radio vendor or whoever is in charge of communications on your job will be happy to help you out, maybe even "clone" your radio.

- Rudy

Last edited:

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
I said I am not going to debate with you anymore. Rudy,I said I knew about the system, I didnt say I knew EVERYTHING about it,did I? I came on here for some help programming my radio to use at my second job,but it seems not a single person who has commented here has anything to do with public safety, I am guessing that since NONE of you have any significant info on your public profiles!!!!! Don't judge until you know someone,which none of you know me at all and didnt even try to get to know me or even ask me why I needed the info I asked for.The radios we have at my second job work worse than 2 tin cans and a string,thats why I bought a radio. Stop quoting laws to me because I am sure several of you break the law with your scanners. Remember,scanners in vehicles in NY are ILLEGAL!!! And I am sure some of you always have them with you even in your cars. That said,thanks for nothing people. I suggest you get to know someone before you judge them or try to be the radio police,by the way,none of you are!!!! I dont play games with radios and I dont condone it at all. I use my radio for professional use ONLY!!!!!! With that said I have nothing else to say to any of you since all you do is criticize me without knowing who I am.By the way, Rudy, I understand the post 9/11, I was there and listed as missing and presumed dead for a day,so I understand your concern,but like I said,I dont play games with radios.Goodbye critics!!!!

Last edited:

auxscan

Like i said its pretty dangerous. A yaesu ft-60r is an amateur radio authorized to transmit on the 440mhz ham band and the 2 meter band. with wide band recieve.

A commercial radio is used in public safety. Im a former Auxiliary officer who has lots of family in public safety work including NYPD and FDNY EMS. You may be just falling into trouble cause NY is not a fun place. A member here was arrested for having a scanner in public in brooklyn. Some ham operators have been ticketed and harrass for their equiptment. even emts and private law enforcement companies been harrass. Another member here was arrested for transmiting on public safety systems all over the tri-state area. he was caught a couple months ago. All we are saying is that we are concerned. Everyday more and more systems are going digital or encrpt. making our hobby less enjoyable.

Spec

OP - You asked a question and one person offered you assistance. The radio is not type approved for use on the frequencies you wish to use it on and I doubt you will have much luck finding a company to risk working it up for you. Maybe you might consider the offer from Egod and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.