Orange County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0516

I have ten neighboring NC counties in my scanner(325p2). I went by the RR Wiki pages for each county is accurate for all but one county: Orange County, NC

The Wiki for that county says they use VIPER exclusively. But only get them on a conventional frequency. So, Is there an update to the Wiki page? Because they are not simulcast.

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
I have ten neighboring NC counties in my scanner(325p2). I went by the RR Wiki pages for each county is accurate for all but one county: Orange County, NC

The Wiki for that county says they use VIPER exclusively. But only get them on a conventional frequency. So, Is there an update to the Wiki page? Because they are not simulcast.
Where your at trying to hear them ? In Orange County or elsewhere

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

Your post is a little confusing, as the wiki doesn't always have the most current info, the database is a lot better source of information. You also mention only getting them on conventional frequencies, are you telling us Orange County is not using Viper? Then you mention simulcast, which is different than conventional freqs or (in most cases) Viper.

What you are hearing may be patched to conventional, the wiki page you cite doesn't say "EXCLUSIVELY", it says" Orange county uses VIPER for all communications", which I can tell you from recent trips up there that they are indeed using Viper.

Chris0516

Your post is a little confusing, as the wiki doesn't always have the most current info, the database is a lot better source of information. You also mention only getting them on conventional frequencies, are you telling us Orange County is not using Viper? Then you mention simulcast, which is different than conventional freqs or (in most cases) Viper.

What you are hearing may be patched to conventional, the wiki page you cite doesn't say "EXCLUSIVELY", it says" Orange county uses VIPER for all communications", which I can tell you from recent trips up there that they are indeed using Viper.
The most recent RR wiki update for Orange County. Is June 3, 2020. It says on the page "Orange county uses VIPER for all communications." To me, that is is exclusive. I mentioned simulcast. Because of the page saying the opposite of what I can hear. It says nothing on the page about a patch.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The most recent RR wiki update for Orange County. Is June 3, 2020.

And the database has had a number of changes in the past month, most recently being updated on September 22, 2020, but if you'd rather trust the Wiki have fun.

It says on the page "Orange county uses VIPER for all communications." To me, that is is exclusive. I mentioned simulcast. Because of the page saying the opposite of what I can hear. It says nothing on the page about a patch.

Again you are adding the word exclusive, not the wiki. Raleigh FD dispatch is using the Wake system for all comms, but also patch the dispatches on VHF.

Chris0516

And the database has had a number of changes in the past month, most recently being updated on September 22, 2020, but if you'd rather trust the Wiki have fun.
I am aware of the Sept. 22, 2020 updates. I keep two RR tabs, specific to VIPER. Open, So I can check for updates. Those updates did have an update for the Control Channels for Orange County. Which I noted in Proscan.

Again you are adding the word exclusive, not the wiki. Raleigh FD dispatch is using the Wake system for all comms, but also patch the dispatches on VHF.
This is the wiki: Orange County (NC) - The RadioReference Wiki. I quoted it.

This is the conventional page: Orange County, North Carolina (NC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference, updated Oct. 6, 2020 it says the county's primary operations are on VIPER.

As for Raleigh FD. Instead of 'patch' note in the description. I put them in a separate system for Wake County. They come through fine.

drayd48

VIPER works for Orange county great. It may not be going off the tower you are trying to listen on in Chatham county. There has to be a unit affiliated not hat site for traffic to be carried over that site.

Chris0516

VIPER works for Orange county great. It may not be going off the tower you are trying to listen on in Chatham county. There has to be a unit affiliated not hat site for traffic to be carried over that site.
Thank you for your response!!! :) :) :)

Chapel Hill(10mi.) is the closest tower. But, I am going to try Eno Mountain(22mi.), again.

Status
Not open for further replies.