Order a Perseus Ya !

Status
Not open for further replies.

va3rwt

well I got a inverted V with 6 5feet pcv pipe for a tower, This is my
travel antenna setup. Its setup at my sisters house for visits ,,, as I live in a apartment on the 10th floor
thinking of a outside active antenna..
Any Idea ? please give advice

Token

I order a Perseus SDR its on its way

It is an excellent radio, you will probably really like it.

Antenna is always key, and can be hard to optimize in an apartment / highrise situation. One of the active loops might do you well, to help null specific noise. While I am not generally an active loop advocate (as a main antenna for full HF use) there are applications that are well suited to them. And when you don't have room for a full sized antenna they are particularly attractive.

T!

SCPD

QRT
Apartment antennas

Yeah, I have to agree with Token that an apartment antenna is a tough one to master. It depends on multiple factors.

Given my dealings with past apartment managers, I would first check with them to see if there's any restrictions. They will probably say anything to get you to NOT put up an antenna.

See what language is in your rental agreement, etc.

A 1m loop is a very attractive option, but they are not cheap -- and of course, their full performance won't be seen until it's in free space.

And then there's the RFI aspect. With your current antenna, you'll want to use your Perseus to try and locate any/all sources of RFI that you can control.

If you're lucky and don't have any major sources of RFI (which is nearly impossible in an apartment complex these days) then you might have an OK listening experience.

Here are some threads on the loops I'm referring to -- but again, these are not cheap solutions:

http://forums.radioreference.com/hf-mw-lw-general-discussion/222770-we-have-nulls.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/shortwave-antennas/233038-ala1530s-versus-pro-1b.html

va3rwt

It Came today but the AC Adapter is European, I live in Canada
has any one else had this happen ?
Its a universal power supply so just getting a Europe to US
connector at my local Radio Shack should work any Ideas

va3rwt

I got it from Universal Radio it is universal power supply adapter but it has
a snap on Euro type prongs I tried to email them 3 times for info and heard
nothing back. Iv heard from others that I can use a Euro to US connector
I got one at the local Radio shack but haven't tried it until I get some reply
back. a little frustrated with Universal Radio

Status