Order of items between antenna & scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMM-BDA

Well, I'm smart enough to figure out that the antenna goes at one end of the line, and the scanner goes at the other end. :)

But what order should lightning protector, (in my case Air band) pass filter & pre-amp be in?

I would think that the lightning protector shold be first, so that if/when hit, nothing past it would get damaged ..... I hope.

Next, I would think the filter should be, so that everything outside the air band (in my case) would be filtered out.

And finally the pre-amp, so that it will only amplify broadcasts within the frequency range that I'm interested.

Would the above be a pretty good assumption as to the correct order? Thanks in adbvance.

KC0QNB

Just to verify from top (antenna) down, antenna, lightning protector, then probably filter then preamp these two could be reversed with no ill effect, try different positions and see what happens.
Keep the lighting protector and its related wiring outside, therefor in theory the lightning will stay outside, doesn't always work that way but it helps, also get surge protection for the AC power to your equipment, lighting could lust as easily strike the power pole in the back yard, as the antenna.

JMM-BDA

Thanks, I kind of figured that would be the way, as it makes the most sense. But then, I have been known to be wrong in the past. ;-)

Thanks again for your reply, and I'll also try the other way (filrter/amp reversed) to see the results, as you suggest, just in case.

Have a great evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.