Ordered my Wellbrook ... now what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an ALA1530LNP NA. I'm hoping it will arrive sometime next week. Right now I'm trying to figure out what all I will need at my end to get her hooked up, and I could sure use a little help as I can't seem to locate all the info online.

1) I gather I'll need coax with male BNC connectors at each end, is that correct? Or is it PL-259 connectors on the North American version?

2) What about a jumper coax from the Wellbrook interface unit to the radio, does that come with the antenna? If not, is that a BNC connection or SO-259 at the interface unit?

3) I gather the interface needs a 12v power supply, correct? If so I'm thinking I'll just run it off the same power supply that I'm using for my Alinco DX-R8T.

4) I saw a post once where someone was using one of these tripods for a mount, does this look adequate?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QG4WE4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I30WMZ6E2RVKEY&colid=20R1OEC5LVA1T

Looks like that would put the loop at a height of about 6 feet above ground (I'm going to set it up in my backyard as far from the house as possible).

5) What about a rotor? Some say they're not really needed, others highly recommend one. What are your thoughts and experiences?

6) If I do get a rotor, I'd rather not spend a small fortune on it. How do you think this one would fare?

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Mast...35&sr=8-1&keywords=Channel+Master+rotor+9521A

7) In the past I've used RG-8x for HF stuff, but this coax run will be 75 feet, so I'm thinking of using RG-213 instead. Any thoughts?

8) Perhaps I haven't thought of everything, are there any other pieces I'll need to put this Loop into action?

9) Lastly, I'm just wondering how the Wellbrook does at VHF-Lo frequencies? I enjoy catching CHP on lo-band off the summer Sporadic E Skip, but have always had a lot of electrical noise using wire antennas for this. Just curious.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Last edited:

ridgescan

Congrats on your decision. The Wellbrook comes with a power supply, and its own patch from interface to rig. I found the patch to be kinda cheap-be careful if you go and change the connector like I had to. For the feedline run, I use Times LMR240. Very good shielding and tough-better than 8x. Get the rotator, you'll need it as this loop is directional and you'll want to phase noise sources. I bought an Antennacraft rotator from Amazon and it's still up there doing fine. Sometimes strong winds will kick it off orientation, but a simple full-sweep and it re-aligns right back. My 100' endfed wire gets 42megs way better than the Wellbrook BUT that loop will get 42megs. I use a tripod on the roof myself-one leg is anchored to an aerator pipe...the other two are strapped with mortar bricks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<snip>

9) Lastly, I'm just wondering how the Wellbrook does at VHF-Lo frequencies? I enjoy catching CHP on lo-band off the summer Sporadic E Skip, but have always had a lot of electrical noise using wire antennas for this. Just curious.

Thanks so much for the help!!

We have another forum for discussing antennas in ranges higher than 30 Mhz here, but briefly - while it will work somewhat, there are a few things working against it. The amp isn't rated for higher than 30 Mhz on most all of Wellbrook's offerings, and loop physics suggest it will really not be working as a loop this high in frequency. It is possible to build a loop for this range, though, and you may not even need an amp if the loop is big enough. I'm sure folks in the above forum can help more on this topic.

Now back to your other questions...Mike

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on your decision. The Wellbrook comes with a power supply, and its own patch from interface to rig. I found the patch to be kinda cheap-be careful if you go and change the connector like I had to. For the feedline run, I use Times LMR240. Very good shielding and tough-better than 8x. Get the rotator, you'll need it as this loop is directional and you'll want to phase noise sources. I bought an Antennacraft rotator from Amazon and it's still up there doing fine. Sometimes strong winds will kick it off orientation, but a simple full-sweep and it re-aligns right back. My 100' endfed wire gets 42megs way better than the Wellbrook BUT that loop will get 42megs. I use a tripod on the roof myself-one leg is anchored to an aerator pipe...the other two are strapped with mortar bricks.

Thanks very much for the help! I'm not seeing an Antennacraft rotor on Amazon right now, can you kindly post a link, or maybe just the model number? Also, can you confirm I will need BNC connectors on each end of the coax that runs from the antenna to the interface box?

Thanks again!

ridgescan

Affirmative on the BNCs at the loop feedpoint and interface incoming connect point. The patch out from interface to rig is already installed on the out side of interface and comes with a BNC on the radio end.
As for the rotator, I guess my Antennacraft is no longer carried by Amazon. So here is what seems to be a good rotator and about the same as I paid plus you get a remote which I didn't get on mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Mast...id=1496858303&sr=8-2&keywords=antenna+rotator
Also, you'll need to buy the rotator cable to power the rotator, and mast separately (if you don't already have a mast to apply to the loop mount).You'll see some offerings if you scroll down in that link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.