TRX-2: Ordered Scanner from Walmart for $116 discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill1426

I just ordered the TRX-2 from Walmart (online), for $497, and got a pickup savings of $116 for a total price of $380+tax. I also went through EBates and got an additional 10% cash back, and used my CC for an additional 1.5% cash back.. There was no way I was letting this go... ORDERED !

Scanfun

Thanks for this bill! I had an back order from Amazon for $380 that I cxld. The Ebates cash back was too good to pass up.

trp2525

I just ordered the TRX-2 from Walmart (online), for $497, and got a pickup savings of $116 for a total price of $380+tax. I also went through EBates and got an additional 10% cash back, and used my CC for an additional 1.5% cash back.. There was no way I was letting this go... ORDERED !

I just placed my Walmart.com order by going through Ebates first just as you described. The TRX-2 store pickup price was $380.57 (plus 6.25% sales tax here in Massachusetts) with $38.05 cash back (10%) coming back from Ebates. I used a MasterCard with a 5% rebate (GM World MasterCard) for my purchase so I did a little bit better than your 1.5% cash back credit card. My GM World MasterCard also doubles the manufacturer's warranty for no additional charge so I also got a 2-year extended warranty on my TRX-2 for FREE!

This is a fantastic deal when you consider the MSRP for the TRX-2 is $729.95. The $342.52 store pickup price after Ebates cash back ($380.57 minus $38.05) is less than half of the MSRP (47% actually) and I'm sure is well below normal wholesale/dealer cost.

Thanks again Bill for the heads up!

SCPD

QRT
Its 486. with no discount on Ebates.Pretty interesting trick.Either way enjoy your new toys!

Bill1426

Its 486. with no discount on Ebates.Pretty interesting trick.Either way enjoy your new toys!

I just looked at Walmart.com. It's now $494.90, and a Pickup Discount of $114.33.
If you activate Ebates to buy at Walmart, there is a 10% cash back (from Ebates,(which is a separate rebate from Walmart)).

trp2525

Its 486. with no discount on Ebates...

Actually the Walmart price has fluctuated slightly since I made my purchase earlier this morning. The current Walmart price is $494.90 with an additional store pickup discount of $114.33 for agreeing to pick it up at your local Walmart store in about 2 business days (as opposed to having it shipped to your home). That makes the Walmart store pickup price $380.57 ($494.90 minus $114.33).

It just so happens that Ebates is offering today a 10% cash rebate for all purchases at Walmart if you enter through the Ebates shopping portal. The 10% cash rebate would be on the $380.57 price so that would be an additional $38.05 cash back making your total price for the TRX-2 $342.52. Of course for those with state/local sales tax you would have to figure that amount based on the $380.57 purchase amount. For example, my state sales tax in Massachusetts (6.25%) would add an additional $23.78.

If you are not already a member of Ebates (needed in order to receive the additional 10% cash back at Walmart) here's a referral link to join: https://www.ebates.com/r/TOMPIM?eeid=28187

trp2525

FYI for comparison purposes, here are the current prices (highest to lowest) for the Whistler TRX-2 at popular scanning equipment dealers/websites:

The Scanner Master price is $639.95 plus shipping (based on zip code) and sales tax (if applicable).
The Ham Radio Outlet price is $569.95 including FREE shipping and no sales tax.
The Universal Radio price is $549.95 plus $14.95 shipping and no sales tax.
The Zip Scanners price is $494.90 including FREE shipping and no sales tax.
The Bearcat Warehouse price is $494.90 including FREE shipping (use DIGITAL coupon code at checkout) and no sales tax.
The Ham Station price is $479.95 plus $15 shipping and no sales tax.
The lowest Amazon.com Marketplace price is $481.99 (from Police Scanner Outlet) with FREE shipping and no sales tax.

Last edited:

trp2525

Amazon does charge sales tax.

It is true that Amazon itself does charge sales tax but the $481.99 price that I posted above was for an Amazon MARKETPLACE dealer/seller (Police Scanner Outlet). Some of the Amazon Marketplace dealers/sellers do not charge sales tax even though some of those orders are directly fulfilled by Amazon (as is the case with Police Scanner Outlet). You have to read the fine print on the Amazon listings to catch it.

Bill1426

Just got an email from Ebates says I got $49.74 cash back from the Walmart Order... YIPPY...
That brings my total cost (after all rebates/cash backs, and added tax), for the TRX-2 to $356.51 ($140.89 in savings)

trp2525

Just got an email from Ebates says I got $49.74 cash back from the Walmart Order... YIPPY...
That brings my total cost (after all rebates/cash backs, and added tax), for the TRX-2 to $356.51 ($140.89 in savings)

It appears that you got the 10% cash back rebate from Ebates based on the total regular online price before deducting the store pickup discount. That makes this an even better deal.

If anyone is on the fence about pulling the trigger on this deal, you shouldn't procrastinate because the 10% cash back from Ebates is not going to last as it normally is only 1%. Also I can't imagine Walmart continuing the additional $115 discount for an extended period of time just for picking up the scanner in their store. Personally this is the lowest total-delivered price that I have ever seen on a brand-new Whistler TRX-2 being sold by a reputable/authorized seller.

Zip_Scanners

FYI for comparison purposes, here are the current prices (highest to lowest) for the Whistler TRX-2 at popular scanning equipment dealers/websites:

The Scanner Master price is $639.95 plus shipping (based on zip code) and sales tax (if applicable).
The Ham Radio Outlet price is $569.95 including FREE shipping and no sales tax.
The Universal Radio price is $549.95 plus $14.95 shipping and no sales tax.
The Zip Scanners price is $494.90 including FREE shipping and no sales tax.
The Bearcat Warehouse price is $494.90 including FREE shipping (use DIGITAL coupon code at checkout) and no sales tax.
The Ham Station price is $479.95 plus $15 shipping and no sales tax.
The lowest Amazon.com Marketplace price is $481.99 (from Police Scanner Outlet) with FREE shipping and no sales tax.

Yeah, that Amazon tax varies quite a bit based on what State you're in.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yeah, that Amazon tax varies quite a bit based on what State you're in.
Amazon tax?

I think you all are talking about a state sales tax, which does vary from state to state, which Amazon or its sellers may or may not be required to collect. Don't blame Amazon. Blame the state that imposed the tax.

In some states, like Ohio, the sales tax varies from county to county as a result of county sales tax that's on top of the state sales tax.

Indiana law requires that Indiana sales tax be collected on most items shipped to addresses in Indiana. If the seller does not collect the tax at the time of sale, the recipient is expected to add the appropriate tax to their state income tax return. The twist is that if the seller has a business presence in Indiana, they are required to collect the tax at time of sale. Since Amazon has several distribution warehouses in Indiana and I live in Indiana, pretty much anything I buy through Amazon has Indiana state sale tax added to the price.

Here is Amazon's sales tax policy:

Unless otherwise noted, items sold by Amazon.com LLC are subject to sales tax in select states in accordance with the applicable laws of that state. If your order contains one or more items from a seller other than Amazon.com LLC, it may be subject to state and local sales tax, depending upon the seller's business policies and the location of their operations.

We do not collect sales or use taxes in all states. For states imposing sales or use taxes, your purchase is subject to use tax unless it is specifically exempt from taxation. Your purchase is not exempt merely because it is made over the Internet or by other remote means. Many states require purchasers to file a sales/use tax return at the end of the year reporting all of the taxable purchases that were not taxed and to pay tax on those purchases. Details of how to file these returns may be found at the websites of your respective taxing authorities.

Please note: The sales tax indicated on the checkout form is an estimate. The sales tax ultimately charged to your credit card will be calculated when your credit card charge is authorized and will reflect applicable state and local taxes.

trp2525

FYI for those still interested, the Walmart discount pricing on the TRX-2 is still in effect today but has changed slightly. The online price is now $492.43 with a store pickup discount of $111.86. The net price (before sales tax if applicable in your state/locality) is still $380.57 ($492.43 minus $111.86) just like it was yesterday.

There is also good news in that the 10% cash back rebate from Ebates is also still in effect as of today. That will rebate you back 10% of your purchase price at Walmart IN ADDITION to the store pickup discount mentioned above. If you are not an Ebates member and need to join Ebates to get the additional 10% cash back rebate at Walmart, see my post #8 above in this thread for a referral link: http://forums.radioreference.com/wh...scanner-walmart-116-discount.html#post2782086

trp2525

I have a suggestion for anyone considering pulling the trigger on this deal to sweeten the pot a little more. If you purchase this scanner with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty for FREE, you will get 2 years of warranty coverage (1 year from Whistler and 1 year from your credit card) at no additional charge. Many of the major credit cards (Visa, American Express, MasterCard and Discover) offer this extended warranty coverage but sometimes not on all of their credit card products. Check with your individual card issuer before making your purchase to see if it is available on your card.

Whistler provides one year of warranty coverage on the TRX-2. After you are out-of-warranty there is a $120 charge for factory repair service making this 2nd year of FREE coverage from your credit card a nice perk if you have it. Walmart also offers 3 years of Care Plan coverage for $44 or 4 years of Care Plan coverage for $66 if that interests you and those plans are available on the Walmart website when you purchase the TRX-2.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I just got #5 that was left in stock. Didn't use any other incentive besides the Walmart local pickup. Pretty happy with that.

I have been really happy with my PRO 668 since getting the Whistler DMR upgrade. Didn't think too much about pulling the trigger to do the TRX 2 after messing with the 668 since it's been back. I been hitting the DMR stuff pretty hard and it's working very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.