Ordering a Scanner from the US-any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger628

Premium Subscriber
Hi-I'm new to this forum-
I have read numerous other threads about the controversy surrounding whether one needs a license or not for a digital scanner-My question is quite specific?
My question is, has anyone ever ordered from Scanner Master or similar, did they ship the product no questions asked, and did anyone have trouble with Canada Customs?
I would like to know the experience of others before I put a 500 sheckle+ charge on my card, only to be jerked around. They have a good price on the GRE-PSR500 right now and would like to get one.
I appreciate any input on this-Thanks in advance.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
The best advice that I would pass along is don't ship UPS/FedEX etc. They will charge a huge brokerage fee on top of any taxes due. Post Office is the best method.

omrail

i got my digital scanner from Scanner Master not a problem.

you do not need a license. you can get the scanners in canada. so that shows you do not need a license.

also i 2nd davidmc36. i do not think you can have Scanner Master send via DHL as there no longer in the us (domestic service). if you can and what it some what faster then USPS there not bad when i comes to brokerage fees. i would say have it sent USPS/CPost.

scnnr

The best advice that I would pass along is don't ship UPS/FedEX etc. They will charge a huge brokerage fee on top of any taxes due. Post Office is the best method.

I don't understand the whine about UPS. Years ago I ordered all my Scanner from Scanners Unlimited shipped overnight Express and had my scanner the next day within 24 hrs. Sure I would pay $45 or $50 to get it flown up but it was worth the peace of mind to have the scanner here the next day no hassles.

I guess it depends on the individual and how much you are willing to pay. Me I figured if I am paying $500 plus for a scanner coming up from the States I didn't want to take a chance having it lost in the mail or held up by over zealous customs officials.

I should add the last couple of scanners I have purchased were from Welcome to Lectron Radio Sales Good people to deal with.

Last edited:

mobile1

I have said many bad things about UPS / DHL /FedEX and others because they do not deliver to smaller towns in Saskatchewan. They hand my 600+$ scanner over to some guy with a van to deliver it. I ordered auto parts from a wrecker in Winnipeg last month and they sent it on UPS and I was not happy about this. A Purolator van pulled up 9 days later with my parts in it. UPS -to- Purolator ? A few years back I was traveling on the highway to Regina in a blizzard .There was an old school bus, a small 1 ton model upsided and out in a field. So I went to help the driver out and then started to help him pick up papers and parcels that were all over the farmers field. The local RCMP pulled up and I was told to stop picking or I would be charged with tampering with the mail. It was a Canada Post contractor .

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Hi-I'm new to this forum-
I have read numerous other threads about the controversy surrounding whether one needs a license or not for a digital scanner-My question is quite specific?
My question is, has anyone ever ordered from Scanner Master or similar, did they ship the product no questions asked, and did anyone have trouble with Canada Customs?
I would like to know the experience of others before I put a 500 sheckle+ charge on my card, only to be jerked around. They have a good price on the GRE-PSR500 right now and would like to get one.
I appreciate any input on this-Thanks in advance.

I have order many scanners from US sources, Scanner Master, Scannners Unlimited. Only once I had a problem because the Canada / US customs paper work was not completed properly.

I used every trans border courier company you can name. I found Good old USPS / Canada post worked the best and most economical

I wish the Western Canada admin would put up a sticky addressing whether one needs a license for a digital scanner in Canada, sort of getting tired of this time ole subject coming up again and again, lets put this near urban myth to bed once and for all.

Last edited:

scnnr

Status
Not open for further replies.