• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Orders my G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

Placed my G5 with the DMR flashed order With Rays yesterday . Great savings of $100 off the listing price with an additional 3 years of warranty support ( over $100 ) ( total 5 years ). I have no affiliation with Unication or Rays company . I also Spoke with Ray and he was knowledgeable , friendly and accommodating . I have already downloaded the PPS and getting familiarize with the programing . Thanks Ray .

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Congratulations on the order. I have ordered several small batches of G4 and G5 for work through him and each time has been a breeze.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Question on the G4/G5, as I have gotten confused. Can it only scan one system, such as Ohio MARCS, or one type, such as P25 Phase 1?

blackbelter

Yes, However the question can be best answered by saying quality VS quantities. Unication series are professional pagers and designed to enhance the experience. Friend of mine can capture a system as far as 32 miles from his post using a G4 and supplied stubby antenna at full quietening . Your experience however can be different.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Question on the G4/G5, as I have gotten confused. Can it only scan one system, such as Ohio MARCS, or one type, such as P25 Phase 1?
Its one system at a time. Phase 1 and or 2 does not matter. IT will pass audio from either.

Hit_Factor

Can you avoid talkgroups? Discover TGs?
How does it handle the one system, do you program in sites and freqs? How many sites will it handle?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Correct, 1 SYSTEM at a time.
And when you select 1 system, it will lock onto 1 Site. It will look for other sites if you program in multiple sites but ONLY when it drops below a pre determined signal level. There are systems near me that this is an issue as certain sites pass audio for certain agencies. So its important for me to be on a specific site and stay there. All systems vary so this may not apply to you.

blackbelter

Would my G5 which will be programed with one system and one site under that systems control channels scans the entire system or only the programed Talk groups? Scan ID VS Scan Search.
Sorry for the long sentence.

N6ML

Would my G5 which will be programed with one system and one site under that systems control channels scans the entire system or only the programed Talk groups? Scan ID VS Scan Search.

You can configure a knob position for "Trunking TG-Scan", with a list of talkgroups that you want to hear (optionally in priority order) or "Trunking TG-Monitor", which will play messages from any talkgroup that shows up on the system.

Short answer: "yes" :)

blackbelter

Thank you,I will be programing ALL the control channels at once with each knob programed with specific targeted talk groups to scan. correct?

N6ML

Thank you,I will be programing ALL the control channels at once with each knob programed with specific talk groups to scan. correct?

Yes. You configure "systems" (with sites and control channels) first, then configure talkgroups of interest, then configure knob positions which reference the system and a list of talkgroups.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
And when you select 1 system, it will lock onto 1 Site. It will look for other sites if you program in multiple sites but ONLY when it drops below a pre determined signal level.
It's for that reason that you don't want to program multiple sites in one knob position. If different sites have similar but varying signal strengths, the G will switch to and hold the stronger site, potentially in mid-transmission.

N6ML

If different sites have similar but varying signal strengths, the G will switch to and hold the stronger site, potentially in mid-transmission.

I believe that that is incorrect. It only starts looking for a new site when the current one becomes considered "out of range" (believed to be based on decoding error rate, not signal strength).

Hit_Factor

There are some limits, like 8192 total talkgroups in a profile, 64 talkgroups in the scan list for each knob position. It depends on what you mean by "complete system".
By complete system I meant all of it. Sounds like probably not enough knob positions for sites. But seems like driving across southern MI could be easy enough.

N6ML

By complete system I meant all of it. Sounds like probably not enough knob positions for sites. But seems like driving across southern MI could be easy enough.

"All of it" could mean many different things.... like every single talkgroup in the scan list for one knob position, every possible combination of sites, etc.

As far as knob positions, the limit is 64 zones, each with 8 knob positions, so 512.

Status
Not open for further replies.