Oregon 911 PSAP / Radio Consolidation Efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
Central Oregon 911 Consolidation

Article is a little vague.. reading the first part..it could mean having a "call center" at one location and routing 911 calls via CAD to another.. where a radio dispatcher would be. Other options is a consolidated 911 center for all counties at one location. (Not sure). Pretty expensive to operate 5 separate centers even with only 1 person.

EKinOR

Consolidation makes complete sense, if it can be done with a high degree of reliability. However, politics always come into play. Nobody wants to give up their little empire - they want to maintain control. I pushed for this in another rural area of the state and ran into the politics issue and money issue.

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
The Kimball Report on NG-911:
http://www.oregon.gov/OMD/OEM/OR911...alysis_Next_Gen_Implementation_Study.pdf?ga=t

Everything you wanted to know and then some.

I was in a meeting today with a lot of emergency management professionals from around the region. I can't tell you much, other than there is considerable hesitation with regard to consolidation. No one today said yea or nay regarding consolidation itself, but there were many with reservations regarding how Oregon should proceed. A handful of agencies expressed concerns and wanted to investigate further regarding the impact of the proposed models.

Regardless, Scenario 3 (nine regional PSAPs) is gaining momentum in the Oregon Legislature. Page 44 of the PDF (document page 41) has the proposed map.

Also, there more than likely will not be a single, statewide PSAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.