Oregon Scientific WR-602

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I was curious to see if anyone here has used one of these. Its a handheld , SAME weather radio----looks like it has some nice features. Sits in a cradle like a cordless phone, you can use AAs (NImh, or Alkaline), comes with a charger for the batts. ect. Most places have it for about $45-$50. Found some reviews on a few sites that were pretty favorable, just wanted a more technical review if anyone owns it. Thanks , Mike

SAR923

I've got the 601, which is basically the same model but doesn't have recharging built-in. It's a very sensitive radio considering the funky looking antenna. It's been reliable and the tone will wake the dead. :) What I don't like about it is that you can't set a default volume for an alert - it's always loud. The other thing I'd change is a way to have the backlight on all the time. The only time the backlight comes on is when there's an alert or when you turn it on manually. Even then, that backlight only stays on for about 10 seconds. The really good thing is that it's easy to grab and take with you during threatening weather. Mine runs just about 24 hours on alkaline batteries.

Haley

Thanks for the reply and info Jim. I basically just wanted a dedicated small , portable weather radio (with S.A.M.E.). I use my scanners for the skywarn networks, Public Safety, ect. I just didnt want to use one of them to park on the WX freq.! As I type, we are under a Tornado Watch, Flash Flood Warning, Flood Watch, and Severe T-storm Warning. So before my power goes out (again), I am going to order, one of these! Thanks again the the reply, Mike

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I forgot to post this last night

My 602 just went off for a severe thunderstorm watch (501). The alarm tone is the brodcasted tone. There is not a siren. It is just a honking sound and a long beep. SO...If you are in a location that is far from a transmitter, the tone might not be so alerting. It is at the volume of number 7 on the volume scale. That is most likely not a problem...but if you are picky, it will be very.

Haley

Thanks for all the help guys. I recieved the WR602 on Thursday, and I am impressed, nice little radio. As for a dedicated weather radio, not much else you could ask for. I was doing a little programming and went to enter the North Shore of Minnesota (my wife and I travel their sometimes), and stumbled upon the Great Lakes FIPS codes (wow, I guess I was unaware of all the marine codes, Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico----ect.), I have to say very nice addition being able to program by state or geographical area (or just by FIPS code). Anyway as luck would have it ------my local WX station is out of commission for a few weeks due to the floods here in Iowa. I have the alternate (one of 3) freq. put in, which is about 60miles away, and its coming in fine, even getting some skip from 120-150mile today on it! Anyway, well worth the $45.00 I paid for it. Mike

Haley

Very nice! Mine did a Flood warning the other night. I like the size of it, seems pretty rugged----and nice large display. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.