Oregon State Parks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I've got a potential stumper here...

...what do the great folks over at Oregon State Parks & Recreation operate on?

A recent trip to a state park confirmed they are defintely VHF, with antennae on their pickups and maintenance vehicles, along with base stations at campground kiosks and offices. Unfortunately I did not have a scanner along, as I was too busy having fun soaking up the wood smoke and burned marshmallows. :D

I did an FCC ULS search for 5.0 miles from the center point of the park, but no luck. They must be operating under a statewide license or some such thing.

Anyone have better information? Thanks!

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Maybe, I know at Rooster Rock which is the Col Gorge Unit, they seem to carry nothing but Nextels,I have heard them use them as well. Some of their vehicles still sport a 1/4 wave whip but I have never seen a hi-band portable on their person

mh34444

northzone said:

I've always had good luck on the 159.390. I've noticed state troopers checking in with the registration booths on this channel as well.

mikepdx

icom1020 said:
Maybe, I know at Rooster Rock which is the Col Gorge Unit, they seem to carry nothing but Nextels,I have heard them use them as well. Some of their vehicles still sport a 1/4 wave whip but I have never seen a hi-band portable on their person

Been trying to figure out Rooster Rock, Lewis and Clark, Ainsworth, Dabney
state parks (my home area, the Gorge). They used to frequently use
one of the 159.xxx frequencies, and also used the ODF repeater 151.16
(confirmed) occasionally - but one day, they just vanished.
Yep, most of their vehicles still have a QW hi-band whip on them.

I've heard OSP 11-80 or 11-81 (Gorge Area xtra patrol) stating
to Station 20 that he is in contact with the Rooster Rock ranger, but he didn't
mention how so.

Quite often, I pass one of the parks dept. employees coming in
or out of our local deli/store. I'll quiz her next time.

Michael KC7UPW
Corbett, OR
Columbia River Gorge

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I overheard the kiosk folks talking to what sounded like a ranger, and this was at Harris Beach SP.

As icom1020 mentioned, sounds like they are using the Nextels in the Gorge area.

Edit:
Looking up the Oregon FCC frequency licenses here on RR for 159.225 and 159.390 turned up some interesting results:

KB26186 - Licensed to mobile usage statewide in OR:

Also, some of the other license listings mention 151.xxx frequencies when you drill down with the data, probably ODF frequencies. I know 159.240 above is one of the ODF tactical channels.

Last edited:

robbie2

hi

i think they use vhf kenwood radios. becase when i saw the ranger at one camp
ground he had a kenwood radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.