Oregon State Radio Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emoney250

What Sites are you listening to? I regularly hear Klamath Fire and Law on the Walker Mtn "NEW SYSTEM" site. And to confirm what OREGONSCANNER said, there are no OSRP sites in Klamath Falls. Walker Mtn is as far south as they go. I can usually get Walker Mountain from about MP 241 on HWY 97 and north from there.
I listen to Walker Mtn aswell. I only enter Oregon from US 97 and go into K Falls, then return. I'd think I'd be able to pick something up. Sigh

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if theres anything on the Eastern end near the Idaho border yet, near Malheur or Baker counties thats indicating p25 being built out? Id be curious if i would be able to start pulling in Oregon traffic here in Canyon County, as the current VHF systems are damn near impossible to pull in once you get more than 5 miles into Idaho. Ontario always seems to have a lot going on that i miss out on out here

cinsu

Anyone know if theres anything on the Eastern end near the Idaho border yet, near Malheur or Baker counties thats indicating p25 being built out? Id be curious if i would be able to start pulling in Oregon traffic here in Canyon County, as the current VHF systems are damn near impossible to pull in once you get more than 5 miles into Idaho. Ontario always seems to have a lot going on that i miss out on out here

Having read thru many of the documents living in the FCC files I don’t think there are plans to expand from what it is today. The VHF system that OSP and ODOT used still lives on and even within the P25 footprint some troopers still choose to use VHF. There is one site in far northern Lake county that is not online yet that would be the closest thing to you but still way too far to pick up.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
VHF should be easier to pick up than 700 (or 800) MHz UHF. Only thing that would help you is if a tower was built (closer) which you can receive from.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
There was a conversation here about a year ago regarding the Green Peter site being renamed Scott Mtn. I’m confused though. Below is a screen grab I took in 2018 that shows the Green Peter site to the NE of Sweet Home, very near the Green Peter reservoir.

B642CEAB-9FE4-4D6F-B6E6-28FF2CDD0BF4.jpeg

That site location doesn’t show on the current map. Instead, we now have a new site (Scott Mtn) which is due west of Sweet Home:

FB2F7B97-F08F-44DD-B9B4-3206CCD584D0.jpeg

Did they abandon the old Green Peter site near the reservoir? Seems like that Green Peter location would give much better coverage on that long stretch of Hwy 20 between Sweet Home and Hoodoo. I’m headed up that way today, so thought I’d ask folks what’s up.

Thanks!

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
There was a site list attached to one of the state's 700MHz licenses that showed Scott Mtn Lookout as the name for the site number and frequencies that used to be named Green Peter in a previous site list. But the state's newer site list could be incorrect because the same site list had the frequencies for the Hood River and The Dalles simulcasts switched which caused some confusion here in the forum some time ago. Were you able to determine if the site is actually at Green Peter?

I've scanned the site up and down I-5 but its difficult to determine which location the site is at because either one would give good I-5 coverage. I haven't gone up Hwy 20 so I'm not sure which location it could be although I agree that Green Peter would give better Highway 20 coverage. Seems odd that they would move it. Even more strange that they would move it to Scott Mountain when Buck Mountain covers that area pretty well already.

Last edited:

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip> Were you able to determine if the site is actually at Green Peter? </snip>

As it turned out, I was unable to use Hwy 20 that day. Tripcheck showed Hwy 20 as being all clear from Albany to Redmond on Tuesday morning, but by early afternoon it was closed due to the fires. So I had to go over Mt. Hood instead to get to Bend.

<snip> ... I agree that Green Peter would give better Highway 20 coverage. Seems odd that they would move it. Even more strange that they would move it to Scott Mountain when Buck Mountain covers that area pretty well already.

You're right. Buck Mtn covers a lot of that area very well. So Scott Mtn does seems like an odd choice.

kd7jfv

Database Admin
I drove HWY 20 from Bend to Albany today. I started picking up Scott Mtn site around Foster Reservoir and had good reception up to just North of Albany. So I'm thinking its geotagged correctly. But it may need more investigating.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know that plans ODF FIRE has for migrating to the OSRP statewide system?? OR... if there is plans to expand the current 800 system to cover any other parts of the state like Southern Oregon, NE Oregon, or beach communities?

Status
Not open for further replies.