Organizing FAV Lists & Quick Keys Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hi,

Am trying to set up my new BCD 436 by importing
FAV lists that I had created, many, many, years ago.

Anything I might have learned, I have forgotten.
Again, that old-age problem, I guess.
Thanks so much for everyone’s help; most appreciated.

Would like to assign some Quick Keys, using Sentinel.

Not at all sure I have this organized correctly (or optimally) ?

As an example, for the Town of Sudbury, Mass. (Middlesex County), I have
under "Favorite Lists" in Sentinel:

Sudbury Only (this shows a screen, when clicked,
that shows “Conventional” under System Type

Sudbury Only (this shows a screen that has “Department Name”)

Sudbury Only (this has a screen having the actual frequencies)

The first two “Sudbury Only” have a place for Quick Keys.

Questions:

Is this the correct or optimal way to organize the frequencies for Sudbury ?

And, which of the first two “Sudbury Only” do I want to put the Quick Key number ?

Or, do I want to put the same number in both ? Why ?

Thanks,
Bob

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You might want to start over from scratch, given that radio systems change over time--new things are added and some things are obsoleted.

rwier

I found the "Quick Key" System to be GREAT for selecting FLs but far too complex for me as to selecting Systems, Departments, and TGs/Channels. Therefor, I set up my 436 a little differently than my other scanners. I am creating more FLs containing fewer entities than previous efforts. I see no problem in having 4 FLs to cover 20 TGs in a single Department in a single TRS System. Number+E or Number Number+E, and the individual small group of TGs/Channels turn on or off. Quick and easy control of listening.

As per jonwienke, start with an Updated DB (fresh start).

BOBRR

From OP

Hi

Once a QKey is assigned to a System, would
that System still be scanned/scannable without
pressing on the Quick Key button, or once a QKey
is assigned, the only way now to get to that System is by its use ?

Bob

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Quick Keys are merely things to toggle something on and off quickly. They remain in whatever state they are in unless you deliberately do something to change them via the keypad.

If you look in Sentinel and nose around some, you'll see places for setting the default status for Favorites List Quick Keys, System Quick Keys and Department Quick Keys. That sets the very initial status when writing to the scanner. If a given Quick Key has the status Off, it stays off until you turn it on. (and vice-versa).

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
What makes sense to me is to set up Favorites Lists by county. Each county in my area gets assigned a FL, then under that county are the various agencies or 'Systems" in that county, each with its own Quick Key and Number Tag. One system in a given county might be a large trunked system, another system might be conventional police and fire for a small town, another system for State Police for that county, another system is utilities, another is county fire, another is VHF Marine channels, etc. Then each of those systems can be broken down further into various Departments as needed. The first channel in each department gets a number tag so I can navigate to it quickly.

FL 1 - Marion County

Sys 1 - Silverton (City)
Dept 1 - Silverton Police
Dept 2 - Silverton Fire

Sys 2 - State Police
Dept 1 - OSP Salem
Dept 2 - OSP Albany

etc

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
If a system only has one department in it, there really is no need to assign a QK to the department, as it is the only thing that would be scanned within that system, and no need to turn only that department on & off. The only time you need to assign a QK at the Department/Site level is if you have more than one Department/Site in the same system.

As much as is possible with a device as complex as this line of scanners, you would do well to remember the "K.I.S.S. Principle".

Status
Not open for further replies.