organizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

burchill

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering I have a gre psr 500 and trying to figure out the best way to organize all the conventional and trunked groups I have been just throwing them all into scan list on but get confusion to keep track of whats on there cause theres so many whats the best way to organize all the talk groups and conventional frequencies , thanks happy Halloween, Scott

ninety7gt

Hi Scott,

It's a tough call how you should organize your lists/frequencies. There is no best way because my best way might not be your best way. Some people organize by Service such as all Police on one scan list, all Fire departments on another, etc...

I live in both RI and Maryland. In Maryland my lists are by county. I listen to 5 counties plus PAX River NAS milair frequencies, plus Maryland State Police. In the 5 county scan lists I have all Police, Fire, and Deputy Sheriff for each county.

When I'm in Rhode Island I have all my trunked and conventional frequencies in one scan list, RISCON the RI Statewide Communications Network in a second scan list, ham radio on a thrid scan list, and civilain air and milair on a fourth list.

Hope that gives you some idea as to how you might group your frequencies.

Regards, Sarah

Jim41

Suggestion

Just wondering I have a gre psr 500 and trying to figure out the best way to organize all the conventional and trunked groups I have been just throwing them all into scan list on but get confusion to keep track of whats on there cause theres so many whats the best way to organize all the talk groups and conventional frequencies , thanks happy Halloween, Scott

Scott,

How you approach this depends on your personal listening preferences and the nature of the systems you monitor.

I like to spread things out over several scan lists. The advantage of this is that when things get busy (like a fire or police chase) I can quickly turn off other scan lists leaving just the one I want to follow closely. This approach is more important, if you live in a busy metropolitan area or city. It is less important, if you live in a rural area with little radio traffic. As an example, I have a scan list that contains police, fire, and medics. I also have a single scan list for police, a single scan list for fire, and a single scan list for medics. I normally scan the larger scan list. When something interesting happens, I switch to the single scan list so I don't miss important traffic when the scanner stops on routine conversations.

Let your personal experience and preference be your guide.

Jim41

N1BHH

They can be organized any way you choose. Scan lists can hold any and all objects. You can organize by city, county, region, fire, police, aviation, railroads, EMS, etc. It's up to your imagination. There is nothing confusing, just write down a list of what you want to do and then arrange the objects the way you wish. Using Win500 or any of the other software programs puts it in graphic form before your eyes.

darrylcn

Hi Scott,

Since you're in NS like I am you might (if you're organizing by agency) want to set up the police the way I do, HRP (and local RCMP) tgrps in one list and the rest of the province in another.

Swipesy

I live in a area that has 15 major radio systems. Accordingly I have a scanlist for each major system. The additional smaller systems get combined with one of the 15. Thus all services (police, fire, service department) get lumped into each system. I distinguish what I hear by using different color LED lights for each type (fire=red; police=blue, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.