• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Orion help? Won't RX trunking, conventional OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'm not experienced with Orions, but I've got one (800 MHz model) that has normal RX sensitivity in
conventional mode, but isn't hearing local trunking systems that by rights it certainly should be hearing.

It's on frequency. No evidence of having drifted too far.

Are there any Orion gurus here who might be able to help?

Elroy

morganAL

Orions

I seem to remember a problem with Orions where some solder joints between two circuit boards crack or break over time. Simply reflowing the solder fixes the problem but I can't remember the details or even what the symptoms are.

JungleJim

Have you tried programming the EDACS channels in as conventional to monitor them that way? That would isolate it to a reception issue or data/programming.

As Morgan alluded to these radios do have a problem with the J501. That's the connector under the synthesizer which connects it to the logic board. As this connector carries all the synthesizer data, signals, transmit baseband and receive IF between the logic board and synthesizer board when one or more of the solder joints open up the symptoms can be diverse. Unlock errors, poor rx sensitivity, no transmit modulation, no transmit power, etc.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
As I mentioned earlier, in conventional mode it works just fine, with very good RX sensitivity. It just doesn't seem to hear the control channel. And I know the personality is perfectly valid. It's the same one
I run in all my own radios, including another Orion of the same type.

Elroy

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Has the radio been aligned? I've had problems with Motorola radios working fine in conventional mode, but would refuse to work in trunking mode. After they were aligned, everything was back to normal.

JungleJim

The reference oscillators Macom uses do drift quite considerably. If the transmit frequency error is more than 1.5 kHz off the radio will not see the control channel.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I'll check that, thanks.d

Right now I'm also battling a 7100IP that has a problem where the reference oscillator's frequency can't
be adjusted via radio maintenance. I think there's something going on in the data line between the
Hillary chip and the TCXO's data input line. Maybe a bad cap.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.