• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Orion Mobile Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I have decided that I will be installing a UHF (440-470) Orion in my vehicle for 70cm use as well as Monitoring Interop/Business. I have programmed my two other Orions that I use as "Base" monitoring radios. But I have some questions for a mobile setup.
First question is, How do I set the radio up to turn on and off from an ignition switch? This will be the trunk mount unit. I will have the radio in the rear of the vehicle with the control head mounted in the console.
I have much more experience programming Moto radios, so my terminology might be wrong. But is there a way to program the orange triangle button as a Nuisance/Delete button to quite a channel in the scan list if for what ever reason I decide I don't want to scan?
I'm sure these are simple answers that I have probably just overlooked.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I don't have it in front of me right now, but see if you can assign a feature called SCAN DEL or something similar to the key. When scanning, that will work as a nuisance delete. Failing that, flicking the scan ramp switch down when the channel is active, will do the same thing.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I just checked here. You cannot add the SCANDL function to a button - it is hard-coded to the ramp switch on the front.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies. It will be a while until I get around to getting it installed but will post if I have any issues.

Prospect62

Well you have your answers on both issues, but I thought I'd comment on the nuisance delete. What Excalibur said is correct, if you have a nuisance channel, just flip the button to the right of the "scan" button in the downward direction TWICE (you should hear it beep twice) when the nuisance channel is active and it will take the nuisance channel out of the scan list until the radio is power cycled. Quick and easy. A dedicated nuisance delete button would be okay, but this will become second nature for you. Good luck with the install!

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I have installed the radio buy don't have it hooked up yet. I already have a 110watt Motorola Astro radio installed with a 40amp fuse (and a 3amp fuse to the Control Head). I am planning on running a cable to the rear of my 2010 ford explorer where the radio's will be installed, connecting it to a battery disconnect switch and then a distribution block from there to connect the two radio's, siren, and emergency lights. My plan is to put the Orion on a 40amp fuse and a 3amp fuse for the control head as well. Would this work or should I do something else? Also, will having both of the radio's going cause a problem? obviously I wont be transmitting on both of them at the same time, but will having both on and transmitting on one cause an issue?

cmdrwill

John, that should work on a single 8 gauge wire from the battery. There has been a lot of so-called pro Police and Fire installs with LOTS of noise in the transmit audio due to the lights and siren using the same 'feed wire' from the battery. Had to have a separate battery feed and grounds for lights and siren.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
John, that should work on a single 8 gauge wire from the battery. There has been a lot of so-called pro Police and Fire installs with LOTS of noise in the transmit audio due to the lights and siren using the same 'feed wire' from the battery. Had to have a separate battery feed and grounds for lights and siren.

So in theory, I should have 3 separate 8-4ga individually fused wire's connected to the battery, running to the back. One for the VHF radio, one for the UHF radio, and one for the Lights/Sirens?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
The standard wire gauges for the radios are as follows:

50 watt and below: 10 gauge
60 watt and above: 4 gauge

So my plan is to run 4 gauge cable from the battery, to the rear of the vehicle where I will have a radio cabinet. Connect the radio to a quick disconnect. (Warn® Quick-Connect Wiring Kit : Cabela's) then to a battery switch (https://www.delcity.net/store/Maste...p_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=CMrojrC8idMCFQQHaQodIB4Jow) then to a distribution block that I have not found yet that I will then connect the Radio's, siren amp, and lights & Switches to. Does anyone have any suggestions where I could find a distribution block, cheaper quick disconnect setup and red and black 4 gauge wire by the foot online. The only wire i'm able to find is sgt type.

cmdrwill

So in theory, I should have 3 separate 8-4ga individually fused wire's connected to the battery, running to the back. One for the VHF radio, one for the UHF radio, and one for the Lights/Sirens?

The two or three radios can run off one 8 ga.power cable, you are only transmitting on one at a time.
Grounds at the radio.

Second cable for lights and siren power.

Grounds for the light bar separate, and you do not need to run the ground leads back to the battery.

Use GXL or TXL AUTOMOTIVE HIGH TEMP wire.
Do NOT use that cheep chinese or "stereo" wire with the low melting point and piss poor copper strands. FIRE HAZARD.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
The two or three radios can run off one 8 ga.power cable, you are only transmitting on one at a time.
Grounds at the radio.

Second cable for lights and siren power.

Grounds for the light bar separate, and you do not need to run the ground leads back to the battery.

Use GXL or TXL AUTOMOTIVE HIGH TEMP wire.
Do NOT use that cheep chinese or "stereo" wire with the low melting point and piss poor copper strands. FIRE HAZARD.

Thank you, what wire would you recommend for a 100watt siren?

SGSRadio

What everybody saying correct but keel in mind there is a little white switch on the top side of the radio in the middle (logic board) and that must be in the forward position for the ignition sense to work.

Goodluck email me with further questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.