ORION question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS9710

Is this a system that's used for primary communications, or is this system used only for interoperability when needed?

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
mostly interop when needed, Nightingale uses it for dispatch, And area Fire and EMS use it to contact the smart traffic center for intestate accidents. VIT has a patch on it for ops

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Mike, I thought that all VB public safety was still on ORION?
ORION has 2 different sides, the 700 MHz side is what Mike just explained, Interop purposes. The 800 MHz side is VB public safety primary system. If you’re in VB and trying to listen to public safety, the 800 MHz site is what you want.

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
mostly interop when needed, Nightingale uses it for dispatch, And area Fire and EMS use it to contact the smart traffic center for intestate accidents. VIT has a patch on it for ops
Hey Mike do you know if 462.950 is a simulcast of Nightingale dispatch? That’s what I have programmed in my Yaesu, I’ve never heard dispatch on Orion, I’ll go back and check my programming.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Mike, I thought that all
Hey Mike do you know if 462.950 is a simulcast of Nightingale dispatch? That’s what I have programmed in my Yaesu, I’ve never heard dispatch on Orion, I’ll go back and check my programming.
I can’t hear 462.950 from my house, but i hear Nightingale answer and respond on ORION

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I can’t hear 462.950 from my house, but i hear Nightingale answer and respond on ORION
I’m not so sure if it’s patched or the rhyme or reason they use ORION in place of the UHF. All the times I’ve caught Nightingale on ORION it’s been very sporadic

Eugene

Same here....I have them in ORION as well yet have heard them talk to Norfolk or Chambers Towers when they launch or transit the airspace and not heard them dispatched.....or call dispatch upon their return. So it is VERY sporadic.

Eugene KG4AVE

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Same here....I have them in ORION as well yet have heard them talk to Norfolk or Chambers Towers when they launch or transit the airspace and not heard them dispatched.....or call dispatch upon their return. So it is VERY sporadic.

Eugene KG4AVE

Still haven't heard Nightingale on ORION, been plenty of activity on 462.950. I do sometime hear them come across the ORF and Chambers Tower freqs when they're transiting the respective airspace.

-Unrelated but do you happen to know what aircraft is callsign "Spotter 5"? I've heard it used a few times while transiting ORF airspace

Eugene

I am pretty sure it is a fish spotter aircraft and operates mostly over the Chesapeake bay and occasionally does photo shoots (took a friend up to do a shoot over Norfolk for an EMS symposium brochure). I have seen it when I have been flying over the bay and I believe it is a Cessna 172.

Eugene KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.