Oriskany FD in Oneida Co changing home alert frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0untyb0y

The Oriskany Fire Department is in the process this week of changing over its "home alert" radio frequency. This change is to accommodate the new radio system that will offer the Department better radio communications coverage. At the end of the scheduled transitional period, the new "home alert" channel will be 156.210 MHz. The old channel 154.130 MHz is currently shared by several other fire companies in Oneida County. At the present time, the repeater system is online and several line officers are presently field testing with portable radios and pagers. Soon to follow is the Oneida County Fire Control relay through "store and forward" and any other Simplex alarms still in service. This new "home alert" system should be completely operational by Saturday August 5, 2006.

MB

Feed Provider
c0untyb0y said:
The Oriskany Fire Department is in the process this week of changing over its "home alert" radio frequency. This change is to accommodate the new radio system that will offer the Department better radio communications coverage. At the end of the scheduled transitional period, the new "home alert" channel will be 156.210 MHz. The old channel 154.130 MHz is currently shared by several other fire companies in Oneida County. At the present time, the repeater system is online and several line officers are presently field testing with portable radios and pagers. Soon to follow is the Oneida County Fire Control relay through "store and forward" and any other Simplex alarms still in service. This new "home alert" system should be completely operational by Saturday August 5, 2006.

Boy, I hope this will not interfere with all the County Sheriffs that use this frequency. I know for a fact that Essex, Hamilton, Franklin, Clinton (backup) use this frequency. I also know that there are many other police agencies that use this frequency.

c0untyb0y

Some research seems to indicate most other users of this frequency already use CTCSS. Of the few I could find on nf2g.com's website, those who share 114.8 as their tone all border each other. While there are more licensed stations according to the FCC's GenMen search, Dave's website had no data on them.

Chautauqua Co Sheriff 156.210, 85.4
Local PDs Dutchess Co 156.210, 123.0
Essex Co Sheriff 156.210, 114.8
Franklin Co Sheriff 156.210, 114.8
Fulton Co Sheriff 156.2100
Hamilton Co Sheriff 156.210, 114.8

Friday night our chief was at home listening on his base scanner to a chase with sirens wailing in the background on 156.210, but he couldn't identify who the department was. I would assume it to be Hamilton County since they'd be the closest with a large enough antenna to reach that far.

As for Oriskany's system, CTCSS was discussed as an option, and may still be done at a later date.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Actually you will hear Fulton Co. on 156.21 especially if you are sitting up by the airport, its almost LOS up there. I highly doubt you will be interfering with someone else on your output based on your location and distace. But if you don't use either a PL or DPL, I guarntee you will be hearing Fulton Co. at least part time. Think about it this way, when you are working a fire, do you really want to hear somoene elses conversation 2 counties away? Its good to hear someone advised the department correctly to purchase new minitor Vs, as the II, III and IVs do not work with a narrowband emission.

MB

Feed Provider
Here in Essex County I get all kinds of interference on 156.210 PL 114.8. I have been told that it is comming from New Hampshire, I guess the NHSP use this frequency for MDT or some kind of other information transfer. They use it with no PL but it is so strong it still causes problems. The same is true for NYSP car to car 154.665 PL 110.9.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
New Hampshire State Police run a P25 Conventional system on VHF, That is most likely what you are hearing and also explains the lack of PL, they use NAC codes. I am very familiar with the Oriskany Area, considering i live about 5 miles from the village. There should be no problem with Oriskany interfering with anyone becasue of their transmit location. The problem comes in with the size of their fire district, once they are up on the hill where the county airport is they are almost line of site into Fulton County. They will always hear Fulton County from up there IF they are not using some type of coded squelch. DPL is the better choice of the two.

c0untyb0y

studgeman said:
Actually you will hear Fulton Co. on 156.21 especially if you are sitting up by the airport, its almost LOS up there. I highly doubt you will be interfering with someone else on your output based on your location and distace. But if you don't use either a PL or DPL, I guarntee you will be hearing Fulton Co. at least part time. Think about it this way, when you are working a fire, do you really want to hear somoene elses conversation 2 counties away? Its good to hear someone advised the department correctly to purchase new minitor Vs, as the II, III and IVs do not work with a narrowband emission.

That can't be any worse than getting stepped on by New Hartford Central Dispatch, or any of the other local FDs using 154.130 still. In fact, when we are up at the airport complex, Rochester sometimes makes hearing each other difficult!

c0untyb0y

studgeman said:
New Hampshire State Police run a P25 Conventional system on VHF, That is most likely what you are hearing and also explains the lack of PL, they use NAC codes. I am very familiar with the Oriskany Area, considering i live about 5 miles from the village. There should be no problem with Oriskany interfering with anyone becasue of their transmit location. The problem comes in with the size of their fire district, once they are up on the hill where the county airport is they are almost line of site into Fulton County. They will always hear Fulton County from up there IF they are not using some type of coded squelch. DPL is the better choice of the two.

looking at what I could find on Fulton County for 156.210, it seemed to be that they used it as a mobile operations channel (FCC license data indicated mobile use of frequency & NF2G's website showed this as TAC-2). do they really use it a lot for day to day ops? if so, DPL may be a good suggestion for us to consider.

c0untyb0y

studgeman said:
Its good to hear someone advised the department correctly to purchase new minitor Vs, as the II, III and IVs do not work with a narrowband emission.

we are disposing of our Minitor II's (anyone want 'em? let me know) but will be keeping the III's and IV's. our vendors advised us that they'll work with the narrowband output, but more careful testing will obviously be needed to confirm this. (unless you happen to work for one of our vendors and know something I don't since I'm not the primary on this project.)

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
short answer they won't work reliabily. The ONLY pager motorola makes that is narrowband capable is the minitor V.

MB

Feed Provider
It kind of sounds like a rush of noise with buzzing sounds. Is this what P25 conventional sounds like? Do they use 156.210 and 154.665? I am really surprised the FCC let them use these since they are causing all kinds of problems here in NY, even when we use PL on these frequencies.

studgeman said:

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Thats P25! they are over 70 miles away so it meet all the requiremts for seperation. New Hampshire reeks havoc all over New England. Several thousand feet of elevation will do that.

c0untyb0y

OFD new frequency up & running!

To those who maintain online frequency listings or if you live in the Oneida County area, Oriskany FD's new repeater system is fully operational now. All Department comms that used to be on 154.130 are now on 156.210. Please update your records accordingly, thanks.

c0untyb0y

studgeman said:
short answer they won't work reliabily. The ONLY pager motorola makes that is narrowband capable is the minitor V.

those V's are a beefy pager! I was really surprised on how much bigger they are over the III's and IV's.

Status
Not open for further replies.