Orland Park Jewelry Thief in Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
We decided today to head out to Orland Park to pick up some things at Michael's which is an arts and crafts store and the last place I expected this to happen. As always I bring my handheld scanner with us (SDS100) and as I travel, turn on departments to catch any radio traffic. Fortunately, Orland Park's Police channels are non-secure and analog conventional (154.785 CTCSS 173.8) and made available to the general public (the good guys and gals) to listen. Today...that paid off.

As I was driving down Lagrange Road this afternoon, I monitored a broadcast of an offender who just took a $7,000 ring from a local jewelry store. This appeared to by all accounts to be a theft since no weapon was mentioned. Orland Park dispatcher put out a physical and clothing description which he received from the complainant. Shortly afterwards, a second description was called in by another jewelry store which had similar race, height, weight but clothing was different but mentioned he might have been "face timing" which I did know was a Iphone thing...lol. It also was noticed that he ran west across Lagrange Road, which caused me to take notice as I was approaching the Orland Park area. I jokingly told my girlfriend "wouldn't be just my luck we ran into him at Michael's".

As we pulled into Michael's lot, I took a look around but didn't see anything of concern. But...as I was walking into the store, I couldn't believe it, but standing in front of me was a "possible" offender, same race, physical description who was "talking into his phone away from his face, as if he was face-timing". However, his clothing didn't match his last description. He was acting very suspicious in the store and frequently staring out the front of the store as if he was "waiting for a ride". He was pacing the aisles of the store, and just acting suspiciously would be my best description.

I left the store "to make a phone call", dialed 9-1-1 and told the dispatcher what I heard on the scanner (I remember telling him I was being nosey), but as soon as I mentioned the $7,000 theft of a ring from the jewelry store, I'm sure he knew I knew what I was talking about.

I left my information with the responding officers, and received a follow-up call from a Detective. It was later found out the "now known offender" did in fact have the ring concealed upon his body, and admitted to Orland Park Detectives his involvement.

While his suspicious behavior might have alerted me to contact the police, my information received via a non-secure radio system was crucial to assisting a police department with apprehending an offender who "might" have escaped by hiding out in an "arts and crafts store" until his "ride/mode of escape" arrived.

I felt a sense of satisfaction doing this today, and with my knowledge gained by listening, making a 9-1-1 call to the law enforcement agency and not interfering was a "by the book" moment on how we should behave in these situations. I didn't "engage" the offender, but "observed" his actions until the police came.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Nice job man! That is a great example of how the public can be of help to the police and how encryption is hurting police operations when used on dispatch channels.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Great work, werinshades! Are you reading this, Cook County, Lake County and NWCD?! Sure, encryption has its place (surveillances, etc.) but normal dispatch channels should be unencrypted.

Station51

Great Job!

There are those who feel that the bad guys gain more advantage than the police gain from honest citizens and argue that to justify encryption. Being able to monitor departments with your iPhone just threw fuel on the fire. (Not saying that services such as Broadcastify aren't good, I have their app on my phone.) Crooks don't even need to purchase (or steal) a scanner anymore.
I get it, doesn't mean I like it. My Southern California town has become a dumping ground for prison parolees and Los Angeles transplants. Some night there are numerous window smash business burglaries including one I heard at 3:30 this morning at a pizza shop.
The local police have become creative in their dispatching to avoid the normal traffic and a lot is done on cell phones now related to tactical discussions.
Over my 50 years of monitoring law enforcement there have been about 5 incidents where I was able to direct the PD to the suspect. Two of those were recognized in writing by the departments involved. It's a great feeling to contribute to truth justice and the American way :)
GREAT JOB ! Keep yourself safe and out of harms way.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
There are those who feel that the bad guys gain more advantage than the police gain from honest citizens and argue that to justify encryption. Being able to monitor departments with your iPhone just threw fuel on the fire. (Not saying that services such as Broadcastify aren't good, I have their app on my phone.) Crooks don't even need to purchase (or steal) a scanner anymore.
I get it, doesn't mean I like it. My Southern California town has become a dumping ground for prison parolees and Los Angeles transplants. Some night there are numerous window smash business burglaries including one I heard at 3:30 this morning at a pizza shop.
The local police have become creative in their dispatching to avoid the normal traffic and a lot is done on cell phones now related to tactical discussions.
Over my 50 years of monitoring law enforcement there have been about 5 incidents where I was able to direct the PD to the suspect. Two of those were recognized in writing by the departments involved. It's a great feeling to contribute to truth justice and the American way :)
GREAT JOB ! Keep yourself safe and out of harms way.

Thanks for the kudos! Like I posted, if I didn't have knowledge of the theft his behavior would have caused further observation. One of the callers mentioned he was "face-timing" on his cell phone, which was relayed on the radio and I monitored. When I walked into the store and saw him doing just that, made me pay attention. The average citizen without a scanner, or if the Department's communications were encrypted, I never would have known or heard this.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
GREAT JOB, I sure wish the Joliet police chief could read your story, he is very fond of "ENC"....

RFI-EMI-GUY

Good going! I doubt the really bad guys are listening to scanners or streaming. They are snatch and grab artists and muggers that endanger people everyday.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
GREAT JOB, I sure wish the Joliet police chief could read your story, he is very fond of "ENC"....

I posted this story on my Facebook page and i'm followed by a local newspaper reporter who asked if he could write an article about this. While all kudos should go to Orland Park Police Dept., it was mentioned about how many communities are switching to this "secure" radio systems which block the residents or visitors from listening. My intent is to made that "E" word understood and how others could benefit from allowing daily patrol talk groups to be monitored. I'll link it when it comes out so maybe you can open up the dialogue.

N9IIT

Sadly, for every one of werinshades, there's probably a half dozen who would take that as their opportunity to play Barney Fife.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Southwest News Herald Story

I took a screen shot of the news paper story on the incident and uploaded it to a PDF file for any and all to read. If anyone needs a guest speaker, I'd be happy to talk to your departments :eek:)

Attachments

• Orland Jewel Thief Story.pdf
    499.6 KB · Views: 47
Status
Not open for further replies.