Orlando FL - Smart phone can turn into a police scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Encryption sucks! and its not going away anytime soon...people need to stand up and say no to it, or everything will be encrypted one day..

I shudder at the thought of the Police not being open on the airwaves, whats next?? Media blackouts?

A

ACU1000

The Orlando Sentinel writes about mobile devices and the RadioReference live audio streaming platform.

Smart phone can turn into a police scanner - OrlandoSentinel.com

Lindsay,

They had a TV segment on the same thing here on Channel 9 USA-9 in Wash DC the other night (Monday 5/42/10). Featured a local police agency (one of the largest in the US - Montgomery County, MD Police) supporting the legal use of 'scanning' and saying how ordinary citizens who overhear something just might aid in catching a bad guy because they overheard something! For once, someone realizes that sharing the audio may not be a bad thing. (If I am correct, Montg CO FD has their own MMS feeds for FD and maybe PD too.)

Last edited:

dwh367

Another case of the media sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. While such applications weren't what I'd call "a secret", they weren't exactly what I'd call "common knowledge" either. However, everybody and their brother are aware of them now, at least in the areas where the stories were printed or aired. The media, in its infinite wisdom, just made things more difficult for all parties concerned.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
More agencies will just go Encrypted.

No feeding the troll...

Okay - just a little :)

Tell me why agencies (in this economy especially) are going to encrypt because Joe Public, sitting 500 miles away in his car driving to work, can hear 1-3 minute delayed comms with no ability to hold on any freq/talkgroup and no control over the channels being received.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Lindsay,

They had a TV segment on the same thing here on Channel 9 USA-9 in Wash DC the other night (Monday 5/42/10). Featured a local police agency (one of the largest in the US - Montgomery County, MD Police) supporting the legal use of 'scanning' and saying how ordinary citizens who overhear something just might aid in catching a bad guy because they overheard something! For once, someone realizes that sharing the audio may not be a bad thing. (If I am correct, Montg CO FD has their own MMS feeds for FD and maybe PD too.)
Sounds like someone in that jurisdiction isn't afraid of people being responsible citizens!

winglessBat

If they have money to encrypt everything over the air ....by all mean go for it but ultimately it's our money that's paying for the radio system. If the matters is that "person" or "private" go to the encrypted channels. I am ok with that.

I have a smartphone and listen to Montgomery County and Howard County Police, Fire and EMS in MD all the time. Oh also forgot to mention that I design LMR system also.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Another case of the media sticking its nose where it doesn't belong."
The media sticks its nose EVERYWHERE, the public has a right to know! (Free Press)

"While such applications weren't what I'd call "a secret", they weren't exactly what I'd call "common knowledge" either."
And therein lies a problem, knowledge of how it works still isn't exactly common.
"However, everybody and their brother are aware of them now, at least in the areas where the stories were printed or aired."
Aware yes, knowledgeable no.
"The media, in its infinite wisdom, just made things more difficult for all parties concerned."
That's usually the case, live with it. "Lord, grant me the power to deal with that which I can control and the serenity to suffer that which I cannot."

"Tell me why agencies (in this economy especially) are going to encrypt because Joe Public, sitting 500 miles away in his car driving to work, can hear 1-3 minute delayed comms with no ability to hold on any freq/talkgroup and no control over the channels being received."
Typical knee jerk reaction to that which they do not understand.

Bat, with comments like that you may expect to catch a lot of heat. My guess that's why you're wingless, only smoking little stumps now as you go down in flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.