ORNGE Air Ambulance Call Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tormedic

I'm looking for a list of call signs. Type of aircraft and base locations of the dedicated Air Ambulance Ontario fleet.
Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks, Steve (MEDCOM) 1985-1991

RainbowSix

Premium Subscriber

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It doesn’t take too long to collect all the callsign. Right now CGYNK is active headed up to Sudbury.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
Usually hear the helicopters using 79_. I know the one out of London is usually heard calling 792. I think Toronto goes by 799 but maybe someone else can jump in and confirm other call signs.

Noseybody

Ottawa, 791
Just going through my notes, call signs seem to change out of Ottawa, lately GYNZ which is I believe is a new one with the new paint.
Before that GYNH, GYNM, not sure if the last 2 were retired.

ATCTech

Search ORNGE in this forum from as recently as 3 months ago and you'l find all kinds of useful information on both hearing and seeing the various aircraft displayed.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
So right now for airborne aircraft you’ve got:

CGYNG out of Thunder Bay
CGYNH headed out of New Liskeard towards Sudbury
CGYNO headed out of Owen Sound towards London
CGYNZ headed out of Ottawa

Not seeing any of the Toronto based aircraft up but could have sworn I saw one earlier when I started typing this.

gary123

ADS-B can be told to just display specific aircraft by entering the callsign in the filter by callsign field like this

CGYNZ|CGYNO| etc

you can also enter the 2 aircraft types in the filter by type code field if you want to se all of them.

ChuckWillis55

The attachments above relate to the Canadian Civil Aircraft registrations. The ORNGE aircraft do not use the registration when calling ATC. Apparently they have special permission from Nav Canada to use MEDIVAC, LifeFlight or Orange + numbers as their callsigns. You will rarely hear the CCA registrations for ORNGE on ATC.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
The attachments above relate to the Canadian Civil Aircraft registrations. The ORNGE aircraft do not use the registration when calling ATC. Apparently they have special permission from Nav Canada to use MEDIVAC, LifeFlight or Orange + numbers as their callsigns. You will rarely hear the CCA registrations for ORNGE on ATC.
Yes this is correct. But, most times when I hear them (and I think it’s actually the medics I hear) it’s them talking on Provincial Common 150.100. They usually are trying to get a hold of the CACC that is running the call they are en-route to. That’s when I hear them saying for example “792 calling London CACC”. Nothing about their aviation call sign.

ATCTech

Do yourselves a favor and keep the ATC radio communications and Civil aircraft registration information as far away from the MEDCOM (FM/repeaters/PCOM) radio side of this as possible. Apples and ORNGEs so to speak. Oh, and don't forget other air ambulance services like SkyCare Air Ambulance (YKF base and various points in northern Ontario) operating flights all over the province. Other than aviation radios I have no idea if they have airborne access to MEDCOM via PCOM or similar means.

ATCTech

This is NOT "special permission". Their official callsigns are designated in ICAO document 8585 as are all registered aircraft operators globally.
Pulse: Pilatus PC12 , Lifeflight: AW139

tormedic

Here's all the call signs that are listed on FR24 for them.

Matt
Hi Matt

I am trying to track them down using my scanner as well as FR24 and not having much success.

I am using and BCD996T which I imported the MOH stuff into it from radio reference using ARC996PRO. But I have yet to hear a peep out of them?

I was also wondering when using my SDS 200, under what part of the frequencies can i try and monitor them. I is it under ems, fire , air etc?

My home set up is i live 10km west of Hagersville, my several scanners are connected to a discone 35 feet up in the air above me attached to my roof. I should be able to hear them on local scene calls and considering I am between two helicopter bases (TORONTO-LONDON) I should have some action.

Lastly could you help me figure out fr24 for trying to track them?

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_072704_(300_x_300_pixel) (1).jpg
    IMG_20220727_072704_(300_x_300_pixel) (1).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220727_073033_(300_x_300_pixel).jpg
    IMG_20220727_073033_(300_x_300_pixel).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 24

ATCTech

Impossible to read the two attachments, try doing a screen capture, not taking a photo of the screen. And, who do you mean by "them", the helicopters? They appear under the civil aircraft call signs in ADS-B. If it's ADS-B you're trying to use with a discone your shooting yourself in the foot (basically deaf approaching 800Mhz and above) and the fact you say you're splitting the antenna feed between a bunch of radios isn't going to be helping either unless you have coax that's not lossy at 1 GHz (read HELIAX or at LEAST LMR400) and you're using a multicoupler that's also good for 1 GHz with MINIMAL loss between it's input and any of the outputs. TV splitters etc are plain and simply inadequate for this type of performance expectation.

LIVE as I write this from FR24 and also from my local ADS-B receiver:

1658939538994.png

1658939611888.png

As for the voice traffic, if you're thinking you're going to hear the repeater on 413.6875 from Hagersville I don't think it's going to happen, It's located north of Toronto and even from 2/3 the distance to it that you are it's not strong here near Milton. Try listening to the input on 418.6875, that'll let you hear the helicopters themselves when in the area, which at 1000' to 3500' AGL you'll stand a much better chance of receiving from time to time.

Last edited:

tormedic

Could you either give me a call, or can I get your phone number? I think it may be easier explaining my set up and to help figure things out thanks in advance.
Steve Wilton 647-230-7226

p.s. I am on Facebook under Steven Raymond Wilton

• facebook.com/stevenraymond.wilton.5
air ambulance screen capture 1.pngair ambulance screen capture 2.png

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
Do you have Provincial Common 150.100 in your radio? That’s typical what I hear them on.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
Impossible to read the two attachments, try doing a screen capture, not taking a photo of the screen. And, who do you mean by "them", the helicopters? They appear under the civil aircraft call signs in ADS-B. If it's ADS-B you're trying to use with a discone your shooting yourself in the foot (basically deaf approaching 800Mhz and above) and the fact you say you're splitting the antenna feed between a bunch of radios isn't going to be helping either unless you have coax that's not lossy at 1 GHz (read HELIAX or at LEAST LMR400) and you're using a multicoupler that's also good for 1 GHz with MINIMAL loss between it's input and any of the outputs. TV splitters etc are plain and simply inadequate for this type of performance expectation.

LIVE as I write this from FR24 and also from my local ADS-B receiver:

View attachment 124998

View attachment 124999

As for the voice traffic, if you're thinking you're going to hear the repeater on 413.6875 from Hagersville I don't think it's going to happen, It's located north of Toronto and even from 2/3 the distance to it that you are it's not strong here near Milton. Try listening to the input on 418.6875, that'll let you hear the helicopters themselves when in the area, which at 1000' to 3500' AGL you'll stand a much better chance of receiving from time to time.

ATCTech, just out of curiosity why isn’t the 418.6875 frequencies in the RR database? And would this be the pilots, or the medics who are talking on this frequency?

Any info about this would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.