OS Image Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I am losing it.
I thought I already posted this then I dont see it so here it goes. I am looking for software that will let me back up my OS onto my 1 TB external drive. This is just in case of a crash or issue with the drive. Any suggestions guys? The external drives does have it's own software but just for files not OS.

Manny

Astrak

Assuming you're using Windows you could use the backup provided with that. I use NTI shadow and Windows backup they both do a good job.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I am losing it.
I thought I already posted this then I dont see it so here it goes. I am looking for software that will let me back up my OS onto my 1 TB external drive. This is just in case of a crash or issue with the drive. Any suggestions guys? The external drives does have it's own software but just for files not OS.

Manny

What OS?

Acronis is very good. Version I have does not work well with the boot loader for Vista and Windows 7.

O&O Disk Image works very well with Vista and Windows 7. Can be a little tricky with mapped drives to a server for backup. But, with a USB or eSATA drive, you should have minimal issues.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Guys!
I should have stated that I am using Windows Vista 32 Bit on my laptop, which is my main work horse. I have always favored XP but this copy of Vista has really been flawless. I could use the back up that comes with Vista but I want to be independent of that. Sort of a secondary back up.

Manny

lgentle

I use BartPE to boot a system and have included the Ghost program to do backups.

I setup a ghosting scheme at one of our accounts where I setup BartPE so they can boot either by CD or USB stick. They can use RDP to access their main file server where the ghostcast server app is. Start a ghostcast session, then, start ghost on the target machine and ghost over the network (I know, I know, not the optimum choice, but, they don't mind -- nor do they do it often). The only "drawback" (it really isn't, though) is when they get new machines, they need to incorporate the new drivers (NIC and maybe SATA) into Bart (not a big deal -- VERY easy). They LOVE it! You can sit at one machine and control every aspect of the session.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have quite a few options here thanks to all of you.

Manny

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Macrium Reflect Free is another free option.

Macrium Reflect Free | Backup Download | PC World

I used it to backup my niece's laptop before I upgraded it to Win7, I have not tried to restore from it yet.

x2!

There are many caveats to cloning... and I don't want to go into it all either.

Edit- Oops! You said just for files. That's easy. Freeware downloads System Utilities - Data Synchronization at SnapFiles.com

No opinions here sense I don't use software to back up files. For important stuff I burn to DVD and copy/paste to hard drives. I use something like this Some require a separate power source (Like the computer's PSU) or they come with a power adapter.

web based backup - Google Search

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, I did it!
I purchased Acronis PC Backup & Recovery yesterday. It works well but in the process of installing it, I may have discovered a problem I had not noticed before. The install took longer than I believe it should have. This was due to the computer constantly displaying " Acronis not responding" followed by the screen freezing then turning slightly white, and after a few minutes, the program responds. This went on for almost 30 minutes. I would hit control-alt-delete to get a task bar and force it to shut down, then the task bar itself would show "task bar not responding" and the same thing happens all over again. What is that a sign of? Video going? Motherboard issues? It ca'nt be the Ram, I have 4 gigs of that and my HDD has 250 gigs of which 3/4 is still empty. It should not have taken me 30 minutes to intall this. Anyone have any idea what causes the "program XXX not responding" issues? I'm at a loss for solutions here.......
I tried to do a disk clean up and a defrag. Still having the issues...

Manny

N

N_Jay

Sounds like you might have a driver incompatibility problem.
Is you bios current?
Are all your drivers updated?
Have you loaded drivers you don't need?
Do you have a lot of cards in the PC?

De-install everything you don't need.
Then do a start up and shut down and start back up.

Do a chkdsk then a defrag.

If after that you are still having this issue, I would try a registry cleaner, but I usually just go for a fresh installation.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
NJAY!
I know this may sound like a simple question to you but what is driver incompatibility exactly? I have heard that term used before somewhere but dont quite understand it. Computers are not exactly my strongest subject.
Q. Do you have a lot of cards in the PC?
A. I am dealing with a lap top in this case.

Q. Have you loaded drivers you dont need?
A. No, I just load drivers that come with any new software, thats it.

Q. Are all your drivers updated?
A. I had not thought of that. Will try it.

Q. Is your bios current?
A. Not sure, how do you check that? I always install the latest updates when they are available from
Microsoft.
I did a check disk and defrag. So far so good.

Thanks!

Manny

N

N_Jay

Missed that it is a laptop.

Drivers are programs that run under the programs you use. Generally they address the interface between the software and hardware, but they also provide software "services" that other software relies on.

Lets say you have a mother board with a graphics chip on it and insert a video card. You normally load the motherboard video driver, but now you need the video card driver. The mother board driver SHOULD know to get out of the way and let the video card driver handle everything, BUT drivers like all software are written by imperfect humans, so "god only knows" what will happen when you start mixing things.
Even unrelated drivers can screw each other up.

Laptops are a little better (usually) because all the hardware and therefor all the drivers are (supposed to be) checked together for incompatibilities.

First, early VISA laptops are notorious for being underpowered.
I would shut off the visual enhancements and make vista look as much like XP as you can.
Those enhancements burn a lot of processing power.

Second, I would use the laptop manufacturers latest video and other drivers, not the generic ones from the hardware/chip-set companies or MS. (even if they are newer)

What brand and model laptop is it?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
CompaQ Presario CQ60
About 1 year old

I am going through the start up programs file because I see a HELL of a lot of programs running on the bottom right side of the tool bar that I dont use all the time. Second, I am going with your suggestion and removing useless visuals, like Windows side bar.

Manny

N

N_Jay

There are several CQ60 models?
210? 410? Maybe others.

Definitely shut of sidebar and the "Aero" interface or theme.
Windows Classic is a good choice.

There are more places for start-up programs to hind then in just the start-up folder.

I always recommend completely de-installing anything you don't use.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about that!
CQ60-210US is what the bottom of the laptop says. Sidebar is done. Windows classic is in. We'll see how that goes for now. Thanks for the help!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.