Os456 Or Os456 Lite, How To Tell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DELCOLHFC

Hello, last summer I bought a real nice Pro-2006 and shortly after picked up what was described as an OS456 (full version, not the lite one) from an Ebay seller. Due to crazy work schedules and family activities it wasn't until just today that I had the opportunity to get it all set up and running. The only documentation that came with the board was the 'setup ' floppy from Optoelectronics "radio manager for windows v3.896", no paperwork at all, fortunately the installation of the board was pretty straightforward and idiot (me) proof. Along with the board came a floppy containing "PROBE 7.0" that I have been looking forward to using after reading some old reviews of it. The PROBE software also came with the users manual (book). I know none of this stuff is cutting edge tech, but it is a pretty cool new (for me) toy. My excitement built as I went through the many setup steps and started entering frequencies and CTCSS tones, and those great looong alpha tags, no abreviations needed here! My joy was somewhat dampened when I started scanning using PROBE and the tone function not only wasn't working but it didn't even show the line where TONE should have been on the screen. I went back to the config screen and found that the tone squelch setting was not on, so i checked that and went back to scanning.....Still nothing at all on the line that should show the current tone and with the tone check on the ONLY frequencies recieved are the ones programmed as CSQ.
So here is my question, do i have the actual FULL version or is it the LITE that does not support CTCSS decoding? Or do I just need to dig deeper into the PROBE manual and discover some other setting that I may have missed. The board itself has "OPTOSCAN 456" printed on it in two different places (with an "A2" above it in both spots) and the term "LITE" is nowhere to be seen. Is there some other marking that would identify which model board it is? Would PROBE allow for entry of CTCSS tones while programming if it recognizes the board to be a LITE version? Would or does PROBE delete the TONE line (and leave a blank line) from the scanning display if it reads a LITE board in the radio? I have already done some reading in the manual on this and have not found any mention of either 'FULL' or 'LITE' versions. I will continue to read and experiment.
I know several members here do use the combination of radio, OS456 board and PROBE, hopefully someone could help to clarify how to physically tell if the board is a FULL or LITE model. If it is a lite I will just reprogram several freqs (5 users in my area use 154.1300, it gets kinda nuts without tones) and enjoy it for what is worth within it's limits and keep an eye out for a full model. If it's a full model I may need some guidance to steer me to the proper setup that allows for tone reading.
Thanks for ANY HELP on this!
Tom

ind224

how to tell

I called Opto and was told the old version has a 44 pin IC that the Lite does not. It is in the middle of the board. The Lite version still has the pads but you will see the IC is missing.
Basically the IC went obsolete.

Another clue you have a Lite board is signal strength as well as tone codes are not displayed when using Probe.

DELCOLHFC

Thank you!

Duh........I never thought of calling the manufacturer, sometimes I think my wife is right about me. Thanks a lot though, your info has confirmed my suspicions that I have a Lite model, Oh well.......I still have fun with it.
Tom

ind224

Full version

The 2006 I just got on ebay has the full version. I'll let you know if I love it enough to keep it.

DELCOLHFC

You outbid me!

ind224 said:
The 2006 I just got on ebay has the full version. I'll let you know if I love it enough to keep it.

You outbid me............lol
They are a pretty neat combo, I really like the nice long alpha tags and having the last several hits logged on the screen so if you didn't see the tag during a transmission you can still see who it was once you can see the screen. I hope you enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.