Osceola and Orange Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
What's the latest scoop on the Osceola and Orange County area as far as monitoring goes? I know all law enforcement in Orange went encrypted last year, but Fire/Rescue was still monitorable. Is that still the case? Also, have all public safety agencies in Osceola County transitioned to P25? I will be down there in a couple of weeks (Kissimmee in particular). If everything is encrypted (including Fire/Rescue), I won't even bother taking my scanners.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Fire/EMS (with the exception of Reedy Creek) was in the clear as of mid-March.

TEH

Enjoy your visit, but heed this warning

Hello PVPD, I was born in St Louis, and also lived in Jefferson City, Columbia, and Springfield.

We are pleased to see that you are coming to visit us. Tens of millions of tourists and convention-goers come here every year, and most of them have a great time here. As with any travel anywhere on the planet, watch for scammers and crooks who prey on our guests. And make sure you have GPS, and/or good maps and directions, so you don't stray into a dangerous neighborhood.

1. The most important consideration is to understand and follow the Florida law limiting the use of equipment that can monitor law enforcement frequencies. I know of cases in which scanner hobbyists were arrested, and/or their radio equipment was confiscated because of this law.

The statute is here:
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

It's Florida Statute 843.16, Which is part ot Title XLVI CRIMES
in Chapter 843 OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE

2. Unfortunately, dozens of law agencies in Central Florida are now encrypting their communications, and additional agencies will do that in the next couple of years. In addition, Walt Disney World's Fire-EMS operation, Reedy Creek Emergency Services, is encrypted.

3. However, Disney World has some conventional channels that are not encrypted. Sea World and Universal Studios operate Motorola 900 MHz analog trunk systems that can be monitored. Details are in the FL trunking database of RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

4. If you are staying in the attractions and conventions area of southwest Orlando, southwest Orange County, or Osceola County, you can monitor the following digital trunk systems: Orlando Fire & Airport Fire; Orange County Fire; Osceola County Fire, and the cities of Kissimmee & St. Cloud, which are on the Osceola County radio system. Your location will determine whether you can receive the Lake County and Polk County digital trunk systems. If you're north of the attractions area, you can also monitor the city of Winter Park's digital trunk system fire talkgroups; and Seminole County's Motorola 800 MHz analog trunk system. Again, info on these systems is on RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

5. You will want to program the conventional public safety channels and mutual aid channels into your radio, because those frequencies are used here, and can provide interesting and exciting monitoring. Many of the hotels have licensed frequencies, and there are other business radio systems to monitor. Look for all of these in the conventional database section of RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Hello PVPD, I was born in St Louis, and also lived in Jefferson City, Columbia, and Springfield.

We are pleased to see that you are coming to visit us. Tens of millions of tourists and convention-goers come here every year, and most of them have a great time here. As with any travel anywhere on the planet, watch for scammers and crooks who prey on our guests. And make sure you have GPS, and/or good maps and directions, so you don't stray into a dangerous neighborhood.

1. The most important consideration is to understand and follow the Florida law limiting the use of equipment that can monitor law enforcement frequencies. I know of cases in which scanner hobbyists were arrested, and/or their radio equipment was confiscated because of this law.

The statute is here:
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

It's Florida Statute 843.16, Which is part ot Title XLVI CRIMES
in Chapter 843 OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE

2. Unfortunately, dozens of law agencies in Central Florida are now encrypting their communications, and additional agencies will do that in the next couple of years. In addition, Walt Disney World's Fire-EMS operation, Reedy Creek Emergency Services, is encrypted.

3. However, Disney World has some conventional channels that are not encrypted. Sea World and Universal Studios operate Motorola 900 MHz analog trunk systems that can be monitored. Details are in the FL trunking database of RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

4. If you are staying in the attractions and conventions area of southwest Orlando, southwest Orange County, or Osceola County, you can monitor the following digital trunk systems: Orlando Fire & Airport Fire; Orange County Fire; Osceola County Fire, and the cities of Kissimmee & St. Cloud, which are on the Osceola County radio system. Your location will determine whether you can receive the Lake County and Polk County digital trunk systems. If you're north of the attractions area, you can also monitor the city of Winter Park's digital trunk system fire talkgroups; and Seminole County's Motorola 800 MHz analog trunk system. Again, info on these systems is on RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

5. You will want to program the conventional public safety channels and mutual aid channels into your radio, because those frequencies are used here, and can provide interesting and exciting monitoring. Many of the hotels have licensed frequencies, and there are other business radio systems to monitor. Look for all of these in the conventional database section of RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference.

Thanks for the additional information. I've been coming to the area at least once (sometimes even 2-3 times) each year for the last 12-15 years, so I'm quite familiar with local laws, how to get around, etc. As far as the radio monitoring world goes...seems like that changes every other week down there, so I do appreciate the information from you local folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.