OSHP Antennas on CVPI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

CVPI4Ever

I am not good at identifying antennas from a distance.

Anyone know what all those antennas OSHP has are for? an accompanying pic would be helpful

16b

Premium Subscriber
The state fair is going on right now. Last year they had a highway patrol car that you could walk right up to and see all of the antennas and radios for.

They had (if I remember correctly):
Low band
High band
Scanner
UHF PAC-RT
MARCS
MDT
CB

Maybe more.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Low band - the big floppy one on the driver's side rear fender
High band - usually in the center of the trunk lid, bottom loaded, ~3ft whip
Scanner - antenna on the right or left side of the trunk, may have 2 center loading coils
UHF PAC-RT - small antenna usually mounted on the light bar
MARCS - 800 MHz pigtail antenna on the roof
MDT - 800 MHz pigtail antenna on the roof
CB - CB antenna on the left or right side of the trunk

Tom WA8PYR

FPO703

What about one in the center rear of the roof that looks to be about 1 inch high and about 3-4 inches around? AVL? GPS?

bigbluemsp

FPO703 said:
What about one in the center rear of the roof that looks to be about 1 inch high and about 3-4 inches around? AVL? GPS?

Could be 800mhz antenna. Its a different manufactor of antennas. Antennex......

mdulrich

Feed Provider
FPO703 said:

That would be the GPS antenna.

Mike

mdulrich

Feed Provider
wa8pyr said:
MARCS - 800 MHz pigtail antenna on the roof
MDT - 800 MHz pigtail antenna on the roof

I'm seeing quite a few using a 1/4 wave for one of the 800 MHz antennas (pigtail for the other) here in NW Ohio.

Mike

FPO703

If I could get away with taking a photo of the tail end of one of the Post 4 (Ashtabula County Post) without being shot at by one of these guys, I'd try to get a close up for you all to look at.

CVPI4Ever

FPO703 said:
If I could get away with taking a photo of the tail end of one of the Post 4 (Ashtabula County Post) without being shot at by one of these guys, I'd try to get a close up for you all to look at.
Why would you "get shot"? You have every right to look at it. Just ask first.

acegta2002

First attempt at this so I hope it works. Older picture of cruier and I can't remember where it came from.

Attachments

• ohio114.jpg
    ohio114.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,479

acegta2002

Sorry forgot to label them: Left to right: Low band. On the trunk: scanner, C.B., scanner,extended range antenna for the mobile video mic. AM/FM antenna on right rear. What I see missing is the usual VHF high band usually located on the left or right fender. On Roof: 800 for radio, center rear GPS, then the 800 for mobile commputer. Attached to the light bar the uhf MRE antenna.

SLWilson

OSP Car antennas....

CVPI4Ever said:
I am not good at identifying antennas from a distance. Anyone know what all those antennas OSHP has are for? an accompanying pic would be helpful
These help any? Side view of AM/FM antenna, CB, Low Band, Hi Band, In Car camera audio antenna, all on the trunk lid - Rooftop is GPS and MARCS mobile antenna....A couple (passenger side & driver's side view of the interior, MDT's radio equipment and a shot of the stuff crammed into the trunk to make it all go!!!! See below......

Last edited:

SLWilson

OSP Cars

CVPI4Ever said:
Steve, thats the pic I was looking for. Thanks!
That was just about all the angles I could get. Hope that helps. One of the guys stopped by the office after he got his MDT & we "took a tour" of his car!!!!! Steve/Gallia :)

shaft said:
Nice pics, sad to see the cruisers in the plain white. I miss the charcoal grey with the gold 3m striping.

Me, too. Those white cruisers have to be a pain to keep clean in the winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.