O'side senior grandma needs help/ question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradybooboo

Premium Subscriber
Could anyone tell me if there is a scanner I can buy to listen to Oceanside and north county police that's not difficult to set up or operate? There used to be someone broadcasting it on here but they seemed to have gone off the air. I don't get out of my house much due to a disability and really miss listening to what is going on. Thanks in advance.

Bradybooboo

Premium Subscriber
thank you !!! I have read on here that things are changing or have already changed where you need a new scanner. Is this one that will work with the new system? Sorry but I know nothing about this stuff and wish who ever was broadcasting it on here would come back on LOL

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
436HP: Portable

Could anyone tell me if there is a scanner I can buy to listen to Oceanside and north county police that's not difficult to set up or operate? There used to be someone broadcasting it on here but they seemed to have gone off the air. I don't get out of my house much due to a disability and really miss listening to what is going on. Thanks in advance.

You can buy the handheld cheaper version of the 536HP, the 436HP. If needed, you could buy a Radio Shack 800 mhz scanner antenna to bring in weaker signals. Or, if allowed, you could purchase an outside antenna. Of course, there are quite a few outside antennas with a wide variety of prices.

You should also know that the 536 has Wifi features where the 436HP does not.

mike619

You could also try a BCD396XT if you can still find them which I currently use or a old PRO-96 works also I use that also.

Bradybooboo

Premium Subscriber
thanks everyone !

THanks for all the info, I did notice all the reply's are from out of the area and I have read a bunch of threads about San Diego County being in the process of switching systems. This is a huge investment for me on something I know nothing about and make's me worried that what I buy might be a paperweight in the blink of an eye ! I am sure when I buy one they would tell me if that was the case.Still have my fingers crossed that whoever was broadcasting our local area comes back or someone else does since clicking on an app is so much more my speed LOL Thanks again you all ROCK !!!!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
A 436 or 536 would work well for you, but only if you are technically capable of such things as going into the settings menu of an android phone. If you don't know how to change things in the control panel of your Windows PC, then the 436 and 536 may get on your nerves. The old 396 and 996 are a lot cheaper, and are more simplified, such as the difference between a 1995 Ford Taurus and a 2017 Ford Taurus stereo system. :)

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.